Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast
      I just changed my GTO over to an electric pump. It is the Holley HP250 pump. Supposed to be really quiet and I guess it is but I don't like to hear the pump at all and I can hear it over my exhaust periodically. I will eventually get a tank that I can have an in tank pump. That should make it quieter.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by trapin
      I'm with you on that Andrew, I don't like the look of them and find nothing offensive looking about the coil packs and wires. I think it looks cool actually.

I know you're running an in tank pump on this thing but I wanted to ask you...how hard would an external pump be to do? Would It be cheaper to run one that way?
      An intank pump is better for a number of reasons. But really there is no reason that you can't run an external pump. People did it for years. If you wanted to get on the road quickly, I would just install a Walbro 255l/hr inline pump. I wouldn't even bother with the tank at this point. You may get an occasional drop in pressure and get a bog when your tank is really low. Just make sure you always have at least 1/4-1/3 tank of gas and it should not be a huge issue.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

andrew looks awesome, whos braided wire loom did you use, looks killer
      jake

Quote Originally Posted by hotrdblder
      andrew looks awesome, whos braided wire loom did you use, looks killer
      jake
      Jake,

I am not sure what your asking about. The engine harness is from GM Performance Parts, but I modified it with the braided polyester loom.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I think he's asking "what brand" of braided wire loom did you go with.
      1968 Pro-Touring Camaro LS1

Project: Next Year
      - Start date; June '01
      - Completion; Sometime next year or the year after.....

I think he's asking "what brand" of braided wire loom did you go with.
      I got it from McMaster Carr. Page 789 of the catalog. "Easy-Cut" polyester loom.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Fire in the hole!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTdcjXqXIug

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Damn...thats quite!!! LOL
      There is no sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubes
      Damn...thats quite!!! LOL
      There is no sound.
      Grrrr....I will have to upload it another way. Looks like YouTube messed it up. It's just a crappy cell phone video, but that's better than nothing.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Darn Andrew
      I just found this thread. Page 8....
      Looks like I have some reading to do.
      Looking forward to the audio.
      Open headers?

-Shaun-
      -Shaun-
      L92/T56 Stalker 1711 pounds, LS power!
      73 Buick Century L92/T56 swap in progress

Quote Originally Posted by subtlez28
      Darn Andrew
      I just found this thread. Page 8....
      Looks like I have some reading to do.
      Looking forward to the audio.
      Open headers?

-Shaun-
      Hey Shaun,

This thread is a duplicate of the one on LS1tech with the exception of people asking different questions. I will sort out the video/audio when I get home. Right now it's open headers. I was really surprised that it fired up. I didn't have the O2 sensors hooked up or even the MAF. I guess on cold start up it's just in open loop.

I didn't have an oil pressure gauge hooked up, so I disconnected the coils and took off the oil filter. I then cranked it over until I saw oil poaring out of the filter pad. It only took 10-20 seconds to get the oil moving. I reinstalled the oil filter and it fired right up after I reconnected the coil packs.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Andrew Awesome thread , very informative I can't wait until you get the video fixed !
      Wayne
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454
      Andrew Awesome thread , very informative I can't wait until you get the video fixed !
      Wayne
      Thanks Wayne!

Lets try this again. Here is the link to the file:

Video Link

Please do Right click and Save Link As.

Sorry about the quality. It was made with a cell phone. LOL

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Awesome Andrew!

I personally have not seen many threads with muscle cars that are converted to LSX engines torn down and firing the next month. Congrats on the great execution.

Tom
      Last edited by tom_a; 04-26-2008 at 05:07 PM.

Excellent point tom a.
      The progress has been quite impressive!
      Especially when you factor in that you are documenting it and sharing some good tech w us.

Keep it up Andrew! It is appreciated!
      -Shaun-
      L92/T56 Stalker 1711 pounds, LS power!
      73 Buick Century L92/T56 swap in progress

It also helps that he's single and doesn't have a wife constantly offering alternatives to working on his car like..."Why don't you fix the pantry door? "Lets paint the moldings and doors in our house white", "Lets chop down the pine tree in the front yard and plant a Japanese maple", "Jared has baseball practice, you need to take him", "Jacob has soccor practice, you need to take him", "We have this family function to go to", "We have that family function to go to", and "blah..blah...blah."

- Start date; June '01

It also helps that he's single and doesn't have a wife constantly offering alternatives to working on his car like..."Why don't you fix the pantry door? "Lets paint the moldings and doors in our house white", "Lets chop down the pine tree in the front yard and plant a Japanese maple", "Jared has baseball practice, you need to take him", "Jacob has soccor practice, you need to take him", "We have this family function to go to", "We have that family function to go to", and "blah..blah...blah."
      While this is all true Tony, the downside is that I have to travel 500 miles to see my kids, instead of seeing them everyday. You win.

So I am down to all of the little details that can take a long time to get done. Basically I am down to "connecting the dots." I got a small tube that goes from the power steering reservoir to the power steering pump. That allowed me to install the power steering pulley and finalize the accessory drive with a belt. I really like the Katech belt tensioner. I had some belt throwing issues on the RX7 and I am sure that this will cure any potential issues.

I also mounted the fuse and relay panel that came with the GMPP harness. Originally I thought I wanted to mount it on the radiator support. This would have made it less obvious. The downside to that is that all of the wires would need to be lengthened. I really didn't feel like doing that. Having it on the firewall gives me quick access to all of the fuses and the relays. There is also a "check engine" LED installed in the fuse panel. Having it on the firewall will allow me to quickly glance and see if there are any trouble codes. The number one reason for putting it on the firewall is that it allowed me to cover up some of the holes that were there from the coil and ignition box.

I also installed and bled the new, .700" bore clutch MC. The Keisler kit came with a .750" bore but I wanted a softer pedal and less bearing travel. You can see the hardline going from the MC down along the frame rail. It then mates with the braided line coming off the throw out bearing.

Speaking of MCs. I also changed the brake MC. This one is a 15/16" bore MC from a 1977 Malibu. While I had no issues with my S10 quick take up MC, I was a little concerned about the shallow pushrod dimple. This MC has a very deep pushrod hole as well as a little snap ring that keep the pushrod retained inside the MC.

Tomorrow I need to order some radiator hose couplers from Jags That Run.

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 06-17-2010 at 09:42 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70
      While this is all true Tony, the downside is that I have to travel 500 miles to see my kids, instead of seeing them everyday. You win.
      If you ever wanna borrow mine for a few weeks you're more than welcome. LOL!!!

But I stand corrected, sir. You make a good point.

- Start date; June '01

Since this was a truck engine there are a few things on it that are specific to being in a truck. The oil filler tube in the valve cover is one of those things, and the other is the dipstick. While both of these items are perfectly functional, they look a little out of place with the low, car style intake. Here is what I am talking about:

The short filler tube is from a C6. You can see how much better it looks than the tall truck style filler. Same goes for the dipstick. Here you can see the C6 dipstick tube. (I am still waiting for the dipstick to arrive)

The total for the 3 items at the local dealership was just over $40. No doubt mail order would be less, but then you have to add shipping. If you are ordering a bunch of other parts it would make sense to include these small items.

A while back I also received this handy, dandy fitting adapter kit:

Metric fitting kit

I used the adapters to install my oil filter sender behind the intake manifold, as well as to install the water temperature sending unit into the passenger side head:

Another company that has great products for adapting LSx engines into all kinds of cars is Jags That Run. JTR offers these simple aluminum tubes that allow you to mate up two radiator hoses of different diameters. This make making radiator hoses a breeze. Here is the adapter for the lower hose. It reduces the 1 3/4" lower radiator hose on my radiator, to the 1 1/2" hose on the thermostat housing of LSx engines:

I got the hoses at O'Reilly's autoparts. The little 90 degree upper hose was PN 20267.

The lower hose was PN 21064. It has the perfect bend that follows the frame and included an internal spring. Here is the end result after the hoses were trimmed and joined together by the coupler:

Look for more updates this evening.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Wow Andrew - your getting close! Nice work by the way. This thread has been very informative. You seem very methodical with the steps of the installation. I tend to get ahead of myself too much. You've gotten a lot done in a short period of time without take shortcuts - it just goes to prove that if it's done right the first time you'll save time in the long-run.

Will we be seeing the Goat at RTH?
      Brandon Wiedeman
      1972 Suburban
      1967 Chevy II - Project not yet started

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!
      Wiedo's

Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com