Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Jims78elky
      Welcome to the site!

Great project you and your father are doing together
      that new engine will sure bring a grin on your face soon!

For that center console..you could cut a nice piece of
      aluminum for it..paint it black,you could also add a nice
      shift indicator "plate" if you wish on top the plate if you like.

Or you could do a nice leather boot..
      Or you could find a console out of a 2002 or later Camaro

Many directions you can go with that new set up!

Keep up the great work!

-Jim
      Thanks Jim. Yeah I hope it lives up to my expectations. I like your idea about the aluminum plate. Maybe I'll see what I can fab up.

Well, I did not get a ton done over the last few days, but I definately have become an expert in taking out and replacing the Z bar. Damn that job sucks. Anyway I thought I might as well put in the headers and they look great.

They fit great and went in well, until I checked the passenger floor board

The collector is actually touching the floor board. Then I decided to move on and deal with that later and put on the valve covers. I soon realized that tall valve covers and stock small block heater cores do not mix.

I swear sometimes it feels like 2 steps forwards and 3 backwards.

Well, got some more done on the car. I bent the heater core upper outlet to clear the valve cover. I know that it was not necessarily the smartest thing, but I figured if I screwed it up I gotta pull it anyway so I'll try it.

I then finished up the new fuel lines and hooked up the heater core hoses.

I took time to dynamat the floor and trans tunnel and then button up the interior. By the way the red stuff is not rust. It is the original red glue from the old sound deadening. The floor was quite nice, nothing but a few small spots of surface rust from the last time the hearter core blew before I bought the car 20 years ago.

Well, have not posted in quite sometime, but if anyone is interested the car is alive...

I hooked up the heater core hoses and luckly they have not leaked yet.

I then discovered that the Mr Gasket dual feed gas line is a complete pile of crap! I bought two, the first one leaked on the rear connection. I was desperate to get the car running, so I bought another one. Sure enough now the new one leaked from the front connection. So I said to my self, screw it and get steel braided line.

The car then fired right up and next week it is going to get exhaust.

I am doing the same thing this winter 383 & tko600

What carb are you running ? I like the electric choke setup. I still need to buy a carb & some other goodies

My old 327 I pulled had holley 600 had electric choke & that sucker fired right up every time no problems

Sure no problem, it is a Holley 4160 750 CFM dual feed vaccum secondary. I chose mine without their shiny finish. Here is the part number from Holly's site, if you don't want the chrome like finish, just delete the s off the end of the part number.

http://www.holley.com/applications/C...ector/0-80508S

Good luck on your swap, I just drove the car for the first time yesterday to my muffler guy and man the tremic was smooth. It was the best thing I ever did to that car, after the disk brakes of course.

Nice thanks . My engine builder told me to run mechnical secondaries .
      I am pumped to get mine back on the road but a least another 1 or 2 months with weather & cash needed to finsh

No problem and good luck on the swap. I checked Holley's sight and it does not appear that they offer a mechanical seconday with an electric choke.

Country Flag: United States
      welcome to the site!
      Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

I know that it has been a while, but here is it running with a short clip. God I love this thing now, it is so much fun to drive.

That sounds good! I never noticed any engine specs besides being a 383. Care to divuldge some info...

Doug
      Doug Gulley

66 C10 383, AFR 190, Accel SuperRam, Hyd Roller 230*/236* 280XFI, aftermarket T56, *under construction*

Man you guys have taken great care of that 68! I love the color! Do you happen to know what the color is? It looks like the sunset red metallic that we are putting on our 69. Wow.... that paint makes me speechless... 17 years old and still looks better than my 05 ranger's paint! Good luck with everything!
      JC Scott

Looks Good !
      Jeff Tate
      U.S.A.
      "The best thing about participating in these events is that you get to hang out with a group of intelligent like minded people who live to achieve things in their lives. You won't find a lazy, mean, or dumb bone in their bodies." Bret Voelkel, RideTech

Quote Originally Posted by 86Cutlass383SR
      That sounds good! I never noticed any engine specs besides being a 383. Care to divuldge some info...

Doug
      Well, I don't have the cam specs on the Isky, but its a Holley 4160 750 CFM dual feed vaccum secondary, RHS iron 220 runner 2.08/1.60 with 70cc chambers, Professional Products crosswinds intake, 1.5 aluminum roller rockers, flattop forged pistons and Thorley tri-y headers 1 5/8 primary to 2 1/2 collector to full 2 1/2 exhaust. It put out 357 rwhp and 420 rwtq through the tko600 and a stock 10 bolt with a posi on the dyno.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrillz
      Man you guys have taken great care of that 68! I love the color! Do you happen to know what the color is? It looks like the sunset red metallic that we are putting on our 69. Wow.... that paint makes me speechless... 17 years old and still looks better than my 05 ranger's paint! Good luck with everything!
      Thanks for the complements, it is actually a Toyota truck color from 1990. It was called
      medium red metallic pearl.

Curley

nice setup, Curly. I was looking back through the thread, and I think your problem w/ your heater core is (I think) is because that's a 6 cyl core. is it possible your camaro is an inline 6 car originally? the 8 cyl core has them coming out in the middle or something.
      I like your choice too of those Y headers, and the vaccum secondaries.
      Keith C.

Your right the car was originally a six with a powerglide on the column, but I replaced the heater core already once with a small block one. The heater core that your are talking about is for a big block. That one blocks off the small block holes with some foam and then you need to cut new holes in the middle of the heater box. If and when this core takes a dump I'll probably go with the big block one.

Ever feel like once you get everything buttoned up something is gonna come bace to bite you in the ass. Well, it finally got me. Well, I fixed the problem with the heater core clearance because my $200 valve covers leaked! At first I thought the gaskets were not sealed, then maybe the breathers were no good. Two different sets of breathers, three sets of valve cover gaskets and I found it was the decorative finned piece bolted to the top of the valve cover.

It was starting to pour out and I finally got pissed and exchanged the covers. I picked up these instead, what do you guys think?

On a happy note now the hearter core is nowhere near the valve covers....

Very nice, hope my 388 puts down numbers like that! I too love the color, funny its a Toyota truck color.

Why did you go from auto to manual?
      Jon Rasmussen
      Ex Team OLJ.
      '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by Curley
      It was starting to pour out and I finally got pissed and exchanged the covers. I picked up these instead, what do you guys think?

sweeeeeet...
      Keith C.

Sorry for the misfortune, but, I actually like your new valve covers better. Hope _they_ don't leak.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com