Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Titanium exhaust system??

Titanium exhaust? Crazy? anyone done this to their car? Other than the $$ is this a bad idea? What does it take to mig this super tough metal?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Don't know much about Ti in car exhaust, but on my motocross bike that is all we use for exhaust. The Ti is very very light and withstands temp very well. Plus once it gets hot it turns a neat bluish tint that stays that way, and you don't have to worry about rust at all. Besides the money factor, you will have less weight and a cooler surface temp. Do you know of a place that sells Ti for car exhaust?
      Justin
      --------------------------------------------------
      73 Nova, 502 ci, TKO600, Mosier Eng 12 bolt, 6 point roll cage, Wilwood rear discs, factory front discs, 250 HP nitrous, subframe connectors, Slide-a-link trac bars, 17" Boyd Coddington Smoothie II's, and Hotchkis TVS kit.

read the thread in here that talks about stainless exhaust welding, Matt at RFR custom fab has explained some of what it takes to weld the ti in that thread.
      72 Nova SS, on the back burner for now.

current cruiser: "The green machine"

'70 Impala 4drht, 26K original miles, 2" drop springs and large swaybars, drives pretty good for a land yahct in the middle of an ls1 swap, but thinking about changing directions to a duramax diesel swap.

Rad Ride's Chicane had Ti Headers built for the twin turbos. Very Sweet.
      Shane Wagner
      1970 Chevelle "Cholula"
      2010 Camaro "Proven1"

It has to be welded in an inert gas chamber, might be able to weld it if you back gas the inside of the tube and weld the outside normally with a TIG welder.

Inconel is used on F1 cars, just read that in a book.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Ti does not have to welded in a gas chamber. What you can do is start by back gassing the tube as david said. Use a large cup with a slow travel speed, it is important that the travel speed does not reveal the weld to the atmosphere before adequate weld solidification has occured. Another suggestion I can make would be to use a gas lense, it greatly reduces gas turbulance which can actually pull the atmosphere into the weld area. Inconel is used in F1 headers and exhaust systems, they are using around .029 -.035 wall. The problem with inconel besides price and availability is that its really not the easiest of metals to weld unless your experienced.

-Shep

Ok I read Matts post but it is a little hard to visualize(sic?) The box full of bronze and argon ect.... Anyone have some pics of a homemade setup?? SShep,I need some clearing up of some of your reply to. ("Use a large cup with a slow travel speed, it is important that the travel speed does not reveal the weld to the atmosphere before adequate weld solidification has occured. Another suggestion I can make would be to use a gas lense") HUH????!?!?!?!?!?! English please Thanks for the help guys, you will come to find I like doing crazy stuff like this.

a little hard to visualize
      http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p...iling%20shield

HUH????!?!?!?!?!?!
      You need to do a lot of reading before you attempt Ti. This is just the beginning.
      -Matt

Welders: The only people that think a co-worker catching on fire is funny.

Thanks Matt,I think I will do a lot of reading!It was mostly the "use a large cup" and "glass lense" parts that I got lost on.

Sorry bout that, I sometimes forget to explain things a lil better DOH!. If you have any questions you can email me. [email protected]

-Shep

SShep,no problem..Thanks for the help. I think I will stay away from the Ti. To much $$$ to f*%k up a few feet of tube learning

Use flat bar to practice on. Start here and see what sizes you want. I have you in the commercially pure/grade 2 section since that's what alloy you'll want to use for headers.
      -Matt

Remember, this is just for exhaust. The worst that will happen is the exhaust will leak. We aren't talking about suspension component failure or anything. As somebody famous once said: if you don't try you'll never learn.

What sort of machine tools are needed? I've gotten into using a cold saw, mill, and will soon have a band saw. I'm trying to eliminate abrasive saws from my life (I think I've breathed too much abrasive dust already). Will those tools work? Or does ti require a completely machining toolset? My only experience with ti was trying to extend the threads of a ti aircraft bolt using a Craftsman die. That didn't work too well.

jp

John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I will for sure need to do more reading up on it before I try it.

Here is a safety warning I found on Ti:
      " FIRE PREVENTION

Storage of coarse titanium turnings and chips is relatively safe. Storage or accumulation of titanium fines constitutes a fire hazard. Clean machines and good workshop practice are usually sufficient to avoid any danger of fire when machining titanium.

Titanium chips, turnings or fines should not be allowed to accumulate in machines. If a fire does start its effect can be minimized by isolating the burning material from the bulk. The fire can then be extinguished with a dry powder extinguisher. A sodium chloride base powder can be an effective agent. Use National Fire Protection Association Class D extinguisher (salt). Use salt or sand to reduce oxygen. Fire may be isolated and allowed to burn itself until Fire or explosions may be initiated by exposing any concentrated dust suspension in an enclosed area to spark or flame. Generally, titanium dust or powder must be minus 100-mesh in order to create an explosive dust-air mixture Cutting and grinding fires can present an explosion hazard when airborne in levels above 35 mgim- (U.S. Bureau of Mines Report of investigatzon No. 4835) "
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Inconel welding

I have used a Miller 220v wire feed with inconel wire and I believe a tri-mix gas with helium in it along with the argon and Co2. A good welding supply will know what you need if you just ask.

It was very easy to weld. It was like welding stainless to me. I was welding on heatreat furnace tubes which run at 1700 degress farhenheit. It is amazing how they survive at all. The welds that I had done at the flanges and the hanging brackets all lasted longer than the the tube in most cases. Sometimes it seemed like it would pick just one little thin spot in the inconel and attack it until it was a hole and the whole rest of the tube including all the welds would be like new.

Inconel is truly the best exhaust material for the money.
      Jim Nilsen

Thats one more thing I never knew,Ti s a fire hazard?!?!?!?!?!?! I know Magnesium is/will burn but not Ti.

I used to help make Inconel prior to med school. The best one for durability that I have seen tho is 750VTE. It was a titanium alloy that was incredibly durable.
      Gary C.

While we're on the subject of welding exotic metals,I would like to ask a question about 304 or 321 Stainless that would be used for an exhaust system. Can either material be mig-welded or is a tig machine necessary?
      Thank,

MIG is fine. For 304, use 308 wire. For 321, use 347 wire.
      -Matt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com