Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pro Touring Vega?

anyone have any pics of a pro-touring style chevy vega?!

Ralph
      '71 Chevy Camaro Z28 ~ '58 Chevy Fleetside ~ 98 Honda Civic LX (Daily Driver)
      R.I.P. '00 S-10 Xtreme ~ R.I.P. '00 bagged Sonoma

Country Flag: United States
      I'm thinkin not, but I hope so! Vega's rock!

Not exactly a pro-touring Vega, but cool none the less... this is a friend of mine's old car, he's since sold it.

Did you ever sell the Camaro? Are you planning on doing a Vega soon?
      Jose (Joe)
      1963 Nova SS Convertible
      1978 Malibu LT1/4L60E
      1978 Malibu Stock
      1983 Malibu Estate Woodie Wagon
      2007 Harley Dyna SB

no, i havent sold my camaro yet... not in a big hurry to do so but i came across a nice project vega for cheap... selling the camaro to help buy a house and i need a project car to build that my future house... i've never seen a protouring vega and thought maybe it'd be a bit different and fun to do...
      Ralph

not a vega but a buick skyhawk i have no pics or anything

Jose (Joe)
      1963 Nova SS Convertible
      1978 Malibu LT1/4L60E
      1978 Malibu Stock
      1983 Malibu Estate Woodie Wagon
      2007 Harley Dyna SB

that vega is awesome! just need to lower it and it'd be super sweet!
      Ralph

that is one bad a$$ vega

I have also thought of a pro-touring Vega and think you should do it. I came across a great deal on one but, the timing is just wrong for me. I have to many projects as it is.
      Alex Johnson

'69 Nova 350/TH350
      '63 Nova 305/TH350 (The wife's project)

'76 Suburban 1/2 ton 454/th400 2wd (SOLD)
      '74 C10 Fleetside 350/TH350 (SOLD)
      '72 Buick Skylark 350/th350 (SOLD)

I've dreamt of doing a PT Vega or Monza for a long time now. If I ever come across a clean rust-free example I just might have to pick it up.

Would a Pro-Touting Pontiac Astre panel do?
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      76 Astre Panel Express

been dreaming of doing a reatomod on my cosworth, making it into a protour with a solstice ecotec turbo, if dsfabricator, that guy with the 83 chevette can make it work, know nothing of electronics, dont feel like playing inventor...

not that anyone cares but my idea of an awasome protouring vega ((not sure if it qualifys as protour) but when im out of the military want to completly restore my vega and drop in a cosworth 2.0 duratec crate engine with a small turbo, should be good for a dependble 300hp if i keep the boost under 8psi

but yea where are all the protouring vegas hiding there has to be more than one.

I owned 3 different V8 Vegas back in the day. (early 80s). They were sort of Pro-Touring for the time. I re-used the H-bodies rear 4 link suspension with a Mopar 8 3/4 rear end on one.

I'll never forget the welder who welded up the brackets on the housing for me. He swore he'd never use fake drugs, but that natural drugs (cocaine and marijuana) were good for you. He snorted a couple of lines, fired up his welder, and welded my brackets. They never fell off, so he must have done a good job.

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Country Flag: Canada
      The hardest part about building a Pro-Touring Vega is the absolute total lack of aftermarket support.
      Spohn builds a few pieces for the rear suspension, but nothing for the front. If you think a '69 Camaro has a bad camber curve, check out a Vega's. I'll bet they have positive camber gain.
      There are a few people building upper and lower control arms to order, but they usually come with heim joints. A few have modified their original control arms, but I'm not that comfortable welding on such a critical component.
      Swapping S10 spindles in with adapters is popular, but there are problems with bump steer and tuning radius. Some people notice the problems more than others.
      The lack of support is a real shame because Vegas and Monzas are light and handle surprisingly well considering the outdated suspension tech. A bit of work on the front and rear suspension would turn these things into big slot cars.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

I remember seeing a mid-engine hatchback vega in one of the mags(Hotrod or CC) back in the late 70's/early 80's. It wasnt PT by todays standards, but it was a well built car. Maybe someone here might recall it or have more info. It was a very cool piece back in the day.
      Roger

I can say that the S10 conversion isnt that bad but because of long steerning arms some have issues, my choice will be a ZQ8 spindle at first then dig up cash for a set of ATS G body spindles and shorter arms or a rack conversion or moving steering a little farther forward to reduce angles.
      Marcus over at SC&C will be doing my upper arms and I never actually saw a positive gain just very little negative gain, but I need to get air ride scienced out first. THEN work on curve more if needed.
      I am working on building a bolt in kit to convert to 4 link and use S10 rear ends,2wd for old school crowd that only want to drag, and 4wd rears for better handling(looking for a 4wd diff right now).
      But only time will tell.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

Funny this thread should surface again as I came really close to purchasing a Cosworth Vega a few weeks ago. Just as said before, I think it's screaming for an ecotec swap.
      Rather than work with the stock suspension, I'd likely end up building a full frame.

Lee, out of curiosity, what are the differences in the 2 and 4wd rear axles? Both styles are very plentiful in my area (Kansas City) if you get really desperate for one.

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
      Funny this thread should surface again as I came really close to purchasing a Cosworth Vega a few weeks ago. Just as said before, I think it's screaming for an ecotec swap.
      Prepare to duck a lot of rocks. Popular consensus among H-body fans is that a Cosworth Vega without a Cosworth engine is just another Vega. There are a still lot of good Vegas out there and most are cheaper than a genuine Cosworth.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenova View Post
      Prepare to duck a lot of rocks. Popular consensus among H-body fans is that a Cosworth Vega without a Cosworth engine is just another Vega. There are a still lot of good Vegas out there and most are cheaper than a genuine Cosworth.

Ken

Very true. the only diffrences are a 3.73 or 4.11 posi rear, larger swaybars front and rear, and a different transmission and mount......but there is something eles in the suspension, not sure what it is but these cosworth's handle 10 times better than a standard vega, with zero body roll, and even better than any new car ive driven. not saying much cavaliers, camrys, buicks, and focus's arent made to take any agresive cornering

-but that means nothing when ur going to modify it anyways...

Only difference is when someone asks "isn't that a vega" you get to respond... well it's a cosworth.. that one person out of 50 who knows what u just said always seem to be really impressed.... it's just matter of rareity, how many v8 vegas are there 10,000 or more IDK. and how many cosworth are there ??? only 3500some ever made, now how many of those that are left are modified 10-50 who knows. cosworths are just rarer, and im my bias opinion orgional or not that makes the just a little bit cooler

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com