Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by GM_muscle
      i am gettin close to gettin done with my 97 s10.
      Cool, where is Summerville?

Adam
      1985 S10 - LT1 + T56
      1964 Chevy II 4-Door - LS1 + T56

Quote Originally Posted by jerome
      I didn't box the frame, looking back that is one of things I regret. I was in a rush to tear it down and get the frame powdercoated. I really should have built all the suspension, and then had it powdercoated. The rear suspension crossmembers will force me to box portions of it. Really hurts to grind off new powdercoat, but it's what has to be done. I'll probably end up painting over the fresh sections.
      I did the same thing. Mine is p/c'ed blue and looks like dog crap now because I've cut and welded on it so many times.

And I too wish I had boxed it in before.

Live and learn, right?
      Adam
      1985 S10 - LT1 + T56

I really like you project and how you went a different route with the offset 3 link. I had looked into using one as well because off one of your other threads but chickened out and plan on using a standard 3 link with the lower bars converging with Watt's link.

I have also been looking at adjustable sways bars and it seems if you were to use DOM tube for the legs they wouldn't flex like the flat blades would once the bend goes in. I don't think it would be that hard to fab and the results should be well worth it.

BTW, my frame is boxed. Sorry I had to. Good luck with you project. Look forward to updates.

Love it. My short list has an S10 as a future DD/screamer.
      69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

Bought steel for transmission and rear suspension crossmembers, gonna be one connected bolt-in unit. Hopefully have it all welded up by the end of this week. I haven't had much practice welding, so I hope it comes out looking halfway decent.

Looks like the panhard bar mount might have to get trimmed a little bit. The rear of the frame is about 2 inches higher than I would like it to be, would have a bit of a rake if I left it at this level.

Johnny Joints that I'm gonna use.

T56 centered up and bolted on. Not final, still waiting for a soft remote bleeder line to come in the mail. The stock bleeder on the stock hydraulic throwout bearing had interference with the Mcleod bellhousing.

Jerome

nice progress. wanna go more in depth about the rear ride geight?
      also, if you are not a great welder, i wouldnt risk practicing on something as important as a suspension. remember, if it breaks its not only your life, but someone selses.
      Michael
      Michael Crawford

1970 plymouth Duster back under construction:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-makeover

1987 GMC S15 https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ct-drivabeater

sweet build...keep us updated with the progress!
      Colin Russ

Quote Originally Posted by jerome
      Is it me or the angle? Does the center section appear to be offset to the side? Is it just the angle of the photo?

i see that...i think it is slightly...but it also appears to be camera angle slightly
      Colin Russ

Sweet!

I'm looking forward to more progress!!
      Adam
      1985 S10 - LT1 + T56

I set the front ride height with the pivot of the lower ball joint about an inch below the lower control arm mounting holes. Then I set the rear ride height by making the straight section in the middle of the frame level, and I checked that the bed mounts were level too. However, this puts the panhard bar mount about 2 inches from the frame, which is a little too close for comfort. So I raised the rear of the frame about 2 inches. Most trucks have a slight rake to them so that they don't droop too badly in the back when a load is put on, so this won't look too weird. However, I think I am going to cut the top part (about 2 holes) of the panhard bar mount off and reweld the top plate back on. This way I can drop the rear down to level again.

I do share the same concern about the welding. I purposely designed the crossmembers it a bolt in deal. I'll practice and see how my welds turn out. If they don't look good, I'll just tack it up, unbolt it, and have somebody else weld it.

The center section is offset about 3". Its a Ford 8.8 from an Explorer, that's just the way they made them. I'm not sure if Ford did that to cancel vibrations or if it is something to do with engine offset or transfer case. It was from a 4x4 if I remember correctly.

Does anybody know if the T56 bellhousings are supposed to turn the transmission towards the drivers side? You can kinda see it in the pictures too.

Jerome

about 7" ground clearance, 2.5" driveshaft clearance. I might have to notch the crossmember to clear for travel.

Rear suspension crossmember tacked in, everything else needs to be trimmed and tacked. Pic doesnt show two pieces going from tranny mount to plates on sides of frame.

4" pipe represents driveshaft

1/4" spacer allows crossmember to be bolted in and removed. Removing spacer allows crossmember to rotate and come out of the C-section frame.

does anybody have tech regarding driveshafts?
      4.11 gears, 26" tall tire. 4" aluminum driveshaft has critical rpm of 6200. That makes about 113 mph. I don't plan on driving that fast anytime soon, but if for example I hit it at the end of the 1/4 mile, will it just vibrate annoyingly or is it actually dangerous?

Jerome

not a whole lot of progress, takes so long to measure and cut metal

not welded yet, still have to cut exhaust passages through the front little pieces

lots of complicated angles and notches to make (drivers side)

still need to cap this

goals for next week:
      exhaust passages
      panhard bar mount
      shock crossmember

Varishock coilovers, valve covers, breathers, sway bar bushings/endlinks coming in the mail next week

I'm having a problem getting the front springs in. Using the spring compressor through the shock hole, pulling up the spring and adjuster, the upper spring cup is slightly angled out, making the springs not line up with the control arm. Anybody have ideas how to get them in?

Jerome

how are you making out, jerome? and progress?
      Michael
      Michael Crawford

1970 plymouth Duster back under construction:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-makeover

1987 GMC S15 https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ct-drivabeater

Man, for doing this in the garage, Congrads
      JEFF SHORTT
      -IDEAL STEEL

tank mounted...drops from the bottom, top crossbar makes sure it doesn't move left/right or up

mounted upside down makes it easier to make those tabs (spring not in the way, also reduces unsprung weight. weld looks terrible because I tried to use weld-through primer...the stuff that comes out my ass would work better than that $20 can, never gonna use it again

driver's side mount, the clearanced flat area on bottom of frame rail is for panhard bar bolt-in mount from bottom looks like a U, hopefully will have that done by this weekend

The NPT fitting into the pump only goes in that far with a pretty big wrench, the small amount of thread engagement worries me, cause the filter is hanging by it...Also, the filter is -10AN in/outlets, but theres no flange area to seat it...i guess you just torque it and the flat areas seal it? the threads are easy to screw on by hand, so the threads aren't sealing it.

Upper link chassis mount...not actually crooked, just the camera angle. I wish I'd waited until after all this to powdercoat my frame

1 lower link tab done, 3 to go

Look for more updates, I hoping to make this puppy driveable by the end of summer.

Jerome

awesome work!

thanks for the update - look forward to riding with you one day.
      marty-mj
      GarageScene.net High Speed Welding KDHotrods RecoveryRoomInteriors WegnerAutomotive Autometer Ride-Tech

Nice Work! Can't wait to see it done!

John
      '66 Chevy II - The "NEW" '69 Camaro!

***Under Construction***

Build Update Link:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=17108

awesome man, loving the build
      1997 ZQ8 S10
      2004 ZQ8 Colorado (Totaled R.I.P.ieces)
      2004 ZQ8 Colorado 416ci LsX/T56

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com