Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Name this tool!

Country Flag: United States

Name this tool!

Going through trying to finish unpacking my garage, I came across a tool that a) I can't identify and b) I don't know where it came from.

Hopefully y'all can shed some light on it. From the appearance, I'd guess some sort of rivet gun, but I wasn't able to make it do anything with pop rivets, didn't try other types as I didn't have any to try.

It does not have an air inlet. It does not have any markings, serial or part numbers.

Here's the box it's in:

and the tool itself:

The business end of the tool:

On a completely unrelated note, I know that the three air regulators on the left (below) are the type that just bleeds off pressure when it's above a threshold.. is the one on the right the type that just regulates and prevents pressure above the setting from getting through, or does it do something else? I'm about to start piping my air, is this the type of regulator I should put right after the compressor to regulate all the outlets at the same pressure?

regulators

The 3 regs are "relieving" type that do exactly what you said, they bleed off pressure to maintain the setting. The 4th is non-relieving which is used a lot on bottled gasses (welding, torches, etc). I would use relieving on the air lines.

Darren

It's definately a pull type rivet gun. If the regular "pop" rivets didn't work it may be for Cherry Max kind. The Cherry Max have ridges on the stem for pulling. They also have a steel collar and seal (the stem breaks off flush with the colar). There's some info on a thread for John Parsons I did about the rivets. I can't find the thread but maybe you have access to it. I can send you some rivets to try....and let me know if you want to get rid of it.
      Brian
      '68 Chevy Stepside-Fatman, HTH, 8.8, Baer, Hydratech, LS1/T56. I know it's a truck but you gotta start somewhere and I need the challenge.

Is this the thread you were talking about?

If that's the case, I think I'd take you up on the offer of a couple of the rivets to play with.. how much should I send for the rivets/postage, and how should I send it (Paypal? Check/MO?)

If I decided I didn't need it, what kind of money is one of these worth?

That's the thread. PM/Email me your address. Don't worry on the $$. Won't be nothing to put a handfull in a padded envelope and send. I'll check through some of my aircraft tool catalog's and see what they are going for. Cherry Max are a little tough to pull. We usually use pnuematic pullers at work but they are high $$.
      Brian
      '68 Chevy Stepside-Fatman, HTH, 8.8, Baer, Hydratech, LS1/T56. I know it's a truck but you gotta start somewhere and I need the challenge.

Brian,

Sorry it took so long to respond, the wife 'forgot' I got a package and just remembered to pull it out of her little hiding spot today.

Package arrived, looks great.. can't thank you enough. If you end up in Dallas, let me know and I'll buy you a beer or something. (well, I would have even without the rivets, but still)

Geez Derek, did that tool "fall off a truck"? How the heck does one get a tool that you don't know what it does?

jp

ps. I have this pneumatic thingie with a rotating cutting edge deal that looks mean. Not sure what it is supposed to cut though.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by derekf
      Brian,

Sorry it took so long to respond, the wife 'forgot' I got a package and just remembered to pull it out of her little hiding spot today.

Package arrived, looks great.. can't thank you enough. If you end up in Dallas, let me know and I'll buy you a beer or something. (well, I would have even without the rivets, but still)
      Your more than welcome. Let me know if they work, if not I'll come up with something else. I think they will though.
      Brian

Quote Originally Posted by me
      Quote Originally Posted by Fluid Power
      The 3 regs are "relieving" type that do exactly what you said, they bleed off pressure to maintain the setting. The 4th is non-relieving which is used a lot on bottled gasses (welding, torches, etc). I would use relieving on the air lines.
      Thanks, Darren.

Can you give some insight as to why one would be better off using the relieving style on air lines? I would (with my uninformed opinion) have thought that not bleeding off air would give a more consistent pressure since it would reduce the amount of running the compressor would have to do?

Back to the top in hopes of insight.

I cant see what the gauge goes up to on the highpressure regulator valve but at work we use those on nitrogen bottles, The small bleed offs we use to take the pressure down so we dont blow up our cases. you would only need the little ones if you were trying to regulate the actual air pressure down, say for a paint gun or something. Now that I look at the picture better those dont really look like bleed off valves there just smaller inline pressure regulators. Most definetly you dont want something bleeding off air running your compressor all the time. It never fails to kick on when you least expect causing you to raise up and bang your head on the frame rails!!! DOH!!
      Last edited by 68BNUT; 01-18-2005 at 01:17 PM. Reason: cuse i cants spell
      Justin, 68 Camaro Update:5 speed is in and neighbors are pissed!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com