Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Opinions on Hobart Ironman 210 Mig

I'm looking to upgrade to a 220v welder. I would like to get opinions on the Hobart Ironman 210 and 250 migs. The specs look good, and sometimes toolking has refurbed units for cheap($870 for the 210). I would be using it for body panels, frames, axle tubes, and roll cages. Let me know what you think. Here are the specs for the 210 amp model:

Product Description
      • Specifications:
        -230 volts, 60 Hz
        -Rated output at 24 VDC: 150 amps, 23 volts DC at 40% duty cycle
        -Current range: 30-210 amps
        -Max. open circuit voltage: 33 volts
        -Dimensions: 31"H x 18-7/8"W x 36"D. 144 lbs.
        -Processes: MIG (GMAW) and Flux Cored (FCAW
        )-Applications: Maintenance, construction, auto body, farm/ranch, rental, home
      • All-in-one MIG machine that is both versatile and portable. Outstanding arc characteristics from excellent short arc performance to an easy-to-control weld puddle.
      • Offers excellent aluminum welding with optional Spoolmate 3035 spool gun, no module needed for hookup
      • Welds 22 gauge up to 3/8" material in a single pass
      • Easy-to-set, six-tap voltage control allows for a smooth easy-to-control arc
      • Infinite wire feed speed control for precise adjustment of penetration and weld bead shape
      • Handles wire spools up to 12" (33 lb) - wire feed speed adjusts from 90 to 750 inches per minute
      • Built-in thermal overload protects the unit
      • Reversible drive rolls: two grooves for three wire sizes on one drive roll. Decreases spare parts and changeover time. Hinged door for easy access to wire drive system for spool and drive roll changes.
      • Includes: Basic unit, constant voltage DC power source, built-in wire feeder, 10 ft. M-10 MIG welding gun, regulators/flow gauge, 5 ft. gas hose with fittings, 1 lb. spool of .030" solid wire, 7 ft. primary input cable with plug, dual groove drive rolls - .023" and .030"/.035", 10 ft. work cable with clamp, extra contact tips, built in running gear/cylinder rack, and weld set-up and parts information chart
      • Hobart warranty. Click here for warranty information

Country Flag: United States
      The tap voltage control and 40% duty cycle are the two things I'd like to see a improvement on.
      I used a tap type welder for many years, but it's a lot more convenient to just reach over and twist a knob for more or less heat.
      40% duty cycle at 150 means you can weld for four minutes continuous at 150 setting. The duty cycle is telling you how heavy of a transformer is inside the welder.
      I'm not saying you can find a better duty cycle at this amperage, but I'd look at it.
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 01-16-2005 at 10:23 AM.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Hmmm... I thought the duty cycle on this welder was its strong point. Most of the smaller 220v units have a duty cycle of 30% at 130 amps, and don't weigh near as much as the ironman. In a production environment I would agree that you would need a higher duty cycle, but not for the stuff I want to do. I would think that I would warp the hell out of something if I was welding at 150 amps for 4 minutes straight. Also at lower amps the duty cycle will be higher. I do agree with you about the multitap voltage control, and that was my main concern. I want to know if there is something better out there for the same price, or if there is any reason I should stay far away from the Ironman. Thanks.

check this out

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320500

i was cruzin the 4x4 site.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com