Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

Help getting started

I have broken down; I am leaving my Pontiacs should run Pontiac engines soap box and going to build a 71 TA clone with an LS or LQ motors and T56. I am really new to this so I need mucho help, just picking parts.

Any differences in how LS and LQ motor bolt into a 2nd gen? Will the current motor and tranny mounting kits work with any engine?

Is there anything special I need to look for in a rad or gauges (I am switching all gauges to new Autometers)?

Thats it for now, but I will probably have lots more in future

Radiator can be the same. Need some electronic fans. LS and LQ are only different in materials used (LQ is iron block and LS is aluminum). Also LQ engines have lower compression. They will bolt in the same but watch out for your accesories. I'm not knowledgeable on if the acc's will hit on a ta. Others will chime in but I suggest you do a search here and in the hybrid and conversions section of www.ls1tech.com.

Goodluck should be a nice ride

Can I have your soap box since you aren't using it anymore? I think I've worn mine out from overuse.

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by 4birdman
      Can I have your soap box since you aren't using it anymore? I think I've worn mine out from overuse.
      It's all yours. I have been converted so I don't need it anymore.

Country Flag: United States
      Check the sticky on known combination at the top of the forum. there are a couple 2nd gens in there. There should be answers in there for you.

best of luck as I plan the same thing for my 79 eventually.

Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com