Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17
      Country Flag: United States
      Geez man, this thing is back with a vengeance. So what size tires and rims you running on it?

BTW, you need to update your sig. :-)
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Thanks. Trying to turn her into the car I always was trying to build in college.

I have been unable to find any way to update my Signature. Anyoje know how?
      "What is each day but a series of conflicts between the easy way and the right way?"

69 camaro, daytona blue. LS376-495 (Hotcam LS3), TR-6060 6-speed
      Tubular control arms with coilovers

Go to settings next to your log in. Left hand column toward the bottom, edit signature.

Thanks for the help on the settings, very helpful and fully updated now!

I finally got the damn JW Speaker Evo 2 headlights to fit. It was a bitch, but they are finally in. Once the rain here in SoCal (who even knew that was allowed!?) does down I'll take the Camaro outside and get some pics of it. The new lights are easily x10 brighter than the headlights I had on before, a halogen projector style.
      I have the Illuminator Fog Lights on the way to replace the lower front turn signals with LED fog lights/turn signals. These should add some extra light as well, making it much safer to drive at night. Between the fog lights, new headlights, and the new front spoiler I am really happy with how the front end is turning out.

I was supposed to be replacing the 11" single piston disc brakes with some 13" front w/ 6 piston/12" rear w/ 4 piston Wilwood brakes, but unfortunately Carona has shown up and has completely shut down all my businesses and cut off all my, and my employees, income, so the Camaro will have to wait a bit longer. #sadday
      "What is each day but a series of conflicts between the easy way and the right way?"

The Tires and Wheels are currently 245/r17/40 for the front and 275/r17/45 for the Rear.

Without doing an aftermarket front subframe, I do not think I can get any wider front wheels, though maybe if I find a perfect offset I can get them a little wider. I've already upgraded the front suspension as much as I think Im going to, so if I can't get wider with a offset change then I will leave the 245s.

Right now the front suspension is:
      CCP - Tubular Control arms
      Viking - Triple Adjustable Coil Overs
      Hotchkis - Sway bar
      All Polyurethane bushings
      CPP steering box with 2002 SS Internals

In the Rear I am running reproduction Z28 multileaf springs with some stiffer shocks (cant recall what they are) which I have only been able to fit 275 width tires into (after hammering away on my wheel wells with a sledge. haha)

I plan, after Corona ends and my businesses can reopen and I can stabilize my finances, to go with a four link rear (right now I am leaning towards Detroit Speed) and mini tub. Does anyone know how wide of rear wheels and tires you can fit in a 69 Camaro when the back has been swapped to a 4 link and mini tub?

A new Problem has arrived

So whenever I seem to fix something, some new problems arise, as is always the case with project cars.

So, went to see my family for some "Quarantine" dinner, across from each other and a fire pit. After parking the Camaro and needing to move it real quick I noticed that there was an oil leak under the car! Oh no!
      Interesting and important info regarding this. The oil (i touched it and it is definitely oil) is EXTREMELY clean and clear. It is definitely not engine oil. I check the engine oil and it is a darker color as well as not being low.

Laying on the ground I can see that the leak seems to be coming form the transmission (TR6060 6-speed manual) Unfortunately I wont have access to my Jack and stands until tomorrow and then Ill be able to get underneath and see exactly what is going on.

The tranny has less than 2800 miles on it, so im really hoping something is loose and not really messed up. There does seem to be two braided cables coming out of the inside of the tranny. Once attaches its other side somewhere that I cannot see, and the other seems to have a fitting on the end, but is hanging out of the transmission by a few inches, but is attached to nothing. Im not sure where it is suppose to attach, but it does not seem to have any of the oil on it.

Im not sure what in the world is going on. Hopefully Ill have an update tomorrow as Im super tired of my car and its many new parts having issues. Ugh, rant over. Love yo faces. See ya tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by 69camarokid View Post

The tranny has less than 2800 miles on it, so im really hoping something is loose and not really messed up. There does seem to be two braided cables coming out of the inside of the tranny. Once attaches its other side somewhere that I cannot see, and the other seems to have a fitting on the end, but is hanging out of the transmission by a few inches, but is attached to nothing. Im not sure where it is suppose to attach, but it does not seem to have any of the oil on it.
      Does your car have a hydraulic throw out bearing installed? That what this sounds like. The feed line from the master cylinder and the bleed line (the one with a fitting on it).

Im not sure what in the world is going on. Hopefully Ill have an update tomorrow as Im super tired of my car and its many new parts having issues. Ugh, rant over. Love yo faces. See ya tomorrow.
      Tell me about it. Generally, I try to use as many OEM parts as possible. Most of the aftermarket just does not test/evaluate their parts to the same spec. This is an industry wide issue. Since so few of our kinds of cars are used as daily drivers, many of these types of issues can take months to surface.
      chunger

'68 Ranchero 500
      '70 Cougar XR-7 Convertible
      '98 Mustang GT Convertible

Wow, I have not updated in a while!!!!

So the transmission problem turned out to be a sensor that wiggled a little loose. Got it all tightened up and refilled with fluid.

During Quarnatine I got some nice upgrades for the Camaro. Everything I am working on right now is to make the car as safe to drive as possible.
      I plan to do a bunch of racing in the next couple of years (I had three track days set up, but quarantine killed that idea) and my wife will be coming with, and I kinda like her and want to keep her and I safe.

1) Upgraded the lights. JW Speaker headlights and Illumin8tor Fog Lights

The halogen lighting system (even the upgraded one) totally sucks. Its hard to see anything at night. So after looking around at all the available options I spent the money and got the
      JW Speaker LED headlights. Holy **** these things are super bright. I also upgraded the front turn signals and installed the Illumin8tor LED fight light kit. I can see SOOOO much better now.
      She still needs bezels, and I really like the look of the Hawk's Motorsports billet aluminum bezels (but god damn are they pricey, nearly 200 for the ones i want, plus the cost of regular bezels) oye.
      https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/196...nt-style-pair/

Name:  20200823_161708.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  196.4 KBName:  20200823_161700.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  168.8 KB

2) Upgraded Brakes! Wilwood 13"/12", Drilled and slotted. 6 Front/4 rear piston

This was a bitch to get installed. At the time of install The tech support at Wilwood was amazing. The car stops sooooo much better than it did when I had a 11" front/rear single piston kit.
      Meeting with a buddy tomorrow to fab up some brackets to install the parking brake kit instead of stock (line pulls over the exhaust) Im looking to possibly install a hand brake parking break instead of
      the stock pedal version.

Name:  20200606_211744.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  179.5 KBName:  20200823_161119.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  204.8 KB

3) Upgraded Seats. Braum Racing Seats and 5 point harnesses.

The seats Ive had in the Camaro have been in here for hte last 12 years or so. I got them off Craigslist for around a $150 bucks. They have done the job for quite a while now, but I dont trust them not to fall apart in a crash.
      They can already wiggle up to an inch even when locked in. The Braums seats fit me much more snuggly and just look so good. I was able to get a nearly new pair off OfferUp that came with blue stitching to match the Camaro. Tood bad the harnesses have been on back order for nearly 2 months. They are suppose dto arrive today.... but they have been saying that for 3 days. We'll see.

Name:  20200606_175044.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  229.2 KB

4) Oil Catch Can. Mighty Mouse Road Racing Oil Catch Can.

I want this sexy beast to last as long as she can and everything I can find recommends a catch can for the LS3, so in it goes!I still need to add in some additional plumbing.

Name:  20200823_164327.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  205.2 KB

5) Rear Shocks upgraded. Viking adjustable shocks
      I realized as I was riding my rear end on shocks I bought at walmart back when i was 19. I had just purchased the camaro and had to drive it 6 hours to southern california. The rear shocks were blown. I remember having to borrow $40 from my dad to buy the cheapest shocks at the local walkmart or target or something. I realized while tearing down the breaks that I havnt replaced the chocks since then. Id been driving on them for 15 years. Oye! The new shocks are a massive improvement.

Up next will be finishing the seats once the parts arrive. Im also looking into a tune to get a bit more performance. Im also meeting with a welder tomorrow to discuss a 4 point cage for the car to improve the stiffness, be safer for racing, and to have a bar to mount my harness to.

Country Flag: New Zealand
      So whenever I seem to fix something, some new problems arise, as is always the case with project cars.

So, went to see my family for some "Quarantine" dinner, across from each other and a fire pit. After parking the Camaro and needing to move it real quick I noticed that there was an oil leak under the car! Oh no!
      Interesting and important info regarding this. The oil (i touched it and it is definitely oil) is EXTREMELY clean and clear. It is definitely not engine oil. I check the engine oil and it is a darker color as well as not being low.

Laying on the ground I can see that the leak seems to be coming form the transmission (TR6060 6-speed manual) Unfortunately I wont have access to my Jack and stands until tomorrow and then Ill be able to get underneath and see exactly what is going on.

**** ,reading this one would assume you had been doing all this rebuilding but your not sure what your throwout bearing hoses are...?

Quote Originally Posted by Gmc427 View Post
      **** ,reading this one would assume you had been doing all this rebuilding but your not sure what your throwout bearing hoses are...?
      Fair Comment.
      I did not grow up in an automotive family. I bought the Camaro at 19 because I wanted to learn how cars worked and to become familiar with working on my own vehicle. From 19 to 25 I did nearly everything myself (with help from my father and uncle, and the occasional friend) I pulled and rebuilt an LT1 engine. Did the engine and transmission swap. I learned how to weld and did the rear quarter panel as well as filling in door handle and marker lights. I did the interior. I did a fair amount of electrical until it caught on fire twice, then decided to leave that part to professionals.

I blew up the car at the track nearly 9 years ago. It sat in my parents garage for the last 7.5 years. During that time I started my own business and dedicated myself 100% to that. I did 0 work on the Camaro or any other car at that time (other than swapping out a wheel bearing on a Fiero I owned for a bit). I only recently started back up on the Camaro in early 2019 or so. This time around I used the money Ive saved form my company to pay a professional shop to do the LS3/TR6060 swap.

Basically its been nearly 10 years since I worked on a car and Ive definitely forgotten pretty much everything. Especially with the technology jump to a modern engine, im doing my best to make sure I dont **** it up. The only things I have been doing myself form the last year on this car has been simple mechanical things. I definitely have a lot to relearn and then to continue learning.

That was my written novel answer to your comment. hahah. TLDR: I did all the work for the first 6 years. Took 8 years off and now have paid a shop to do all the new stuff. I have forgotten nearly everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmc427 View Post
      In no way is that helpful to this guys build. He's simply giving us an update and don't condescend someone for asking a question.

Anyway, as GMC pointed out that sounds like the hydraulic line for your throwout bearing. If the shop that did your swap used a remote bleeder on the trans, there is a chance the AN fitting came loose. I'd check in there with a flashlight to see. Hopefully it's something more simple though like the clutch master cylinder.

Not sure if I replied, but I checked out your build yesterday and you did a great job. Kudos for keeping the car for so long and not selling it. I'm in the process of building an LS3 for my car and I'll be looking into the catch can now.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      In no way is that helpful to this guys build. He's simply giving us an update and don't condescend someone for asking a question.

Anyway, as GMC pointed out that sounds like the hydraulic line for your throwout bearing. If the shop that did your swap used a remote bleeder on the trans, there is a chance the AN fitting came loose. I'd check in there with a flashlight to see. Hopefully it's something more simple though like the clutch master cylinder.

Not sure if I replied, but I checked out your build yesterday and you did a great job. Kudos for keeping the car for so long and not selling it. I'm in the process of building an LS3 for my car and I'll be looking into the catch can now.
      Thakns for the kind words and helpful info. The LS3 is a great way to go. I absolutely love it, especially with the hotcam in it. Extra 65 horsepower and still extremely streetable.

All the new goodies and first AutoX day!

Its been a while! Hello everyone! The Camaro is starting to finally feel like a fully built out car. Im freakin ecstatic... its been a 15 year build in the making... with an 8 year hibernation in the middle.

Since we last left off a few new parts have been installed, broken in, or dialed in. I just had my first AutoX day and had an absolute blast. Will post pics below.

BRAKES
      The new Wilwood 13", 6 piston/4 piston brakes are miles above and beyond my old 11" single piston brakes. They let me use the LS3 closer to its actual potential iwth a lot more confidence.

SUSPENSION
      I finally got some Viking adjustable rear shocks to match the coilovers in the front. They rock. Ive tried outa few different settings and currently have it set for the recommended autoX specs, though slightly stiffer. I really like this even for just around town driving. The Camaro feels tight and controlled.

I got some Detroit Speed weld in subframe connectors to replace the bolt on ones I bought of ebay back in college. They look and feel great.
      Name:  274.jpeg
Views: 398
Size:  442.1 KBName:  277.jpeg
Views: 388
Size:  511.9 KBName:  279.jpeg
Views: 404
Size:  420.2 KB

INTERIOR - more exciting than it sounds.
      Back in April/May I purchased some Braum racing seats (Black with Blue Trim) to match the cars interior. I got them new for almost 35% off from another person who needed cash during Covid. The Braum seats and harnesses were bought to replace the red APC seats I bought of Craigslist back in college to replace the original seats. The seats did the job, but were cheap and the color was way off. The new black and blue seats really make the entire car look better, not to mention are much more snug and higher quality.

The Braum seats would not work without a roll bar. Luckily a buddy of mine from college (We took a couple of semesters of body/paint classes together) is a great fabricator/welder and does a lot of cages. He had some extra chromoly pipe sitting around from another job and offered me a good deal to weld in the the subframe connectors and build the roll cage. He got it done quickly and made it work well and look great. Check out the difference in the interior/overall look of the car with the new cage/seats.

Name:  20200922_130850.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  224.5 KBName:  20200922_130821.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  204.7 KBName:  510.jpeg
Views: 395
Size:  239.5 KBName:  661.jpeg
Views: 388
Size:  384.9 KBName:  822.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  240.8 KBName:  20200925_224848.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  244.0 KB

AUTOX
      Now that the car felt safe, could turn and stop, and keep my ass planted it was time for some track time to break her in right.
      I went to Autoclub Speed way in Southern California and had an absolute blast just doing time only. I learned alot about my driving abilities and the Camaro's capabilities.
      She defintiely could use more tire, but at 275 it seems to be the widest I can fit in before having to move the leaf springs, but then I would want to do a 4 link, and a 9" and mini tubs... etc etc.
      Im going to work on improving my driver abilities before dropping another 10 - 15k redoing the entire rear.

This was the first of 8 runs. I unfortunately hit the button on the go pro for hyperlapse, so the rest of my videos are at like 100x speeds and not watchable. First run was 69 seconds (hahaha) and got it down to 63 seconds by the last run.
      Name:  20200927_105244.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  246.1 KB

I cant believe it has been almost two years since Ive posted! This is nuts!

Lets see. I rented outa small private track with some friends that has a 1 mile long 13 turn course and a skid pad for a race day. Its called Apple Valley Speedway in Ca. Ive done 3-4 autocross days as well.

So I installed a II much fuel vent as my stock one kept overflowing and leaking fuel whenever I filled up the tank all the way or rode hard on the track. That took care of those issues. I also installed an oil catch can into the LS3. So hopefully that will help keep the engine stronger and healthier for the long haul.

My main two problems with the Camaro are that I need a brake booster vacuum pump and a canister to hold a reserve amount. This is due to the cam in the LS3 making it hard to get enough vacuum for the new brakes. I currently need to double tap the brakes before braking to build up pressure. As you can imagine, this is terrible for track days and lightly terrifying. Ill also need to replace the DOt 3 fluid with Dot 4 as at my last track day (it was a Looooong one with tons of on track time) my brake fluid boiled over and my brakes failed on a corner sending me out into the dirt.

The other issue I have is I have is one of traction. The largest rears I can fit are 275s and they hold no traction in 1-3 gear.
      Gonna need wider tires.

Hit and Run

So its Summer time in Cali, which means it is time to cruise and race down Pacific Coast Highway. So on my first day in quite some time taking the car out for a day of adventures, some mother****er did a hit and run on me. Im taking off from a light with a Porsche 911 S on my right and an Aston Martin DBX on my left. At about 25 MPH I get rear ended by a new Chevy Trax. The guy was looking at his phone while accelerating too fast and tried to swerve last second hitting my back left side.

This hit somehow broke loose one of my parking break brackets, causing my parking brake cable to fall down and the slack to get caught in my driveshaft, ripping out the cable and wrapping it around the driveshaft knuckle. The worst part is the guy took off as I was pulling over. I would have chased him but the parking brake cable was making a terrifying racket as it smacked all around under the car. At the time, I didnt know what was making the noise and shuttering feeling. It wasnt til after pulling over I found it was th parking brake cable.

So the other car took off while i was on the side of the road. Luckily, I installed a 4K front and rear camera system in 2021, so i got everything on film, including the license plate. The police took all my info and then caught the person at their house later that night! woot woot! They admitted to everything and they have insurance, so it looks like ai am covered!

Ive taken my car to 714 motorsports. The guys there seem cool and they are right next to my work. They used to help build the cars on overhauling so I hope things will turn out allright.
      Im getting a quote to have installed at the same time a mini tub kit, 4 link, and a 12 bolt rear. This will hopefully help my autocross as well as take care of my traction issues. Im deciding on which mini tub, 4 link, and rear end to go with. if you have any advice, please let me know!

Name:  287937120_1813488215649078_547561648294753744_n.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  326.1 KB

Wow i know that feeling. Had someone do that to me too. Talk about instant pissed. Awesome you had the camera and i hope they spend some time in jail. Maybe next time they will think. Hope his insurance company will pay big and you can get some help with the upgrades

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com