Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

LS motor installation kits

I was wondering if people could chime in on the best installation kits for putting an LS motor in a 1965 GTO? I'm leaning towards BRP because you don't have to buy a modified oil pan and it moves the engine rearward which would be good for weight distribution. I am open to any suggestions that you might have. Thanks

Country Flag: United States
      Might want to wait til Bill tells you what he did with his 65 GTO or call Prodigy Customs and ask them -----> They built Bills GTO for him and I am sure can get you the brackets they used.
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

Country Flag: United States
      I was going to suggest BRP, but I see that you are already aware.
      Matt
      1965 Pontiac GTO – Spotts 421 Tripower | TKO600 | 3.90s | Vintage AC | Baers | Hotchkis/SPC/BMR Suspension | Intro Vistas | BFG KDW Redlines | 06 GTO Seats

I called S&P today and they said i would need to buy a modified oilpan (don't have to with the BRP kit) and they don't make a bolt in crossmember for a t-56 in my car (BRP does). The spacing from the back of the engine to the firewall is about the same with both kits so i couldn't understand why I needed an oil pan for one and not the other. BRP told me that I had to lift the tunnel a little and I'm not sure if the S&P kit requires tunnel modification or not (forgot to ask). So I'm guessing that the engine sits lower with the S&P kit which causes the oil pan to hit the crossmember. BRP assured me that the pinion is in the acceptable range on their kit, so I think the BRP kit is the one for me.

The key with the BRP kit is to bold your engine mounts/adapters/frame stands and set the engine in there and mark where the frame stands are are at and redrill the holes and relocate them so you can get the engine exactly where it needs to go. Its not a complete bolt in deal and with a T56 you will definitely have to enlarge the tranny tunnel. Its a tight fit but it does work. You can also make the engine adapter plates yourself if you want to save some cash.

I helped Phil at BRP develop a couple of his mount kits. The best thing they do is allow you to make fine adjustment to the engine position. I don't have any experience on the older GTO's so I'm unsure of the pan mods. I have bent his trans crossmember down a couple times and got away without modding the tunnels. The S&P mounts work but the position the engine in one set location. Mark (S&P) builds accessories, and oil pans to make up for the lack of ability of his customers to position there engines.

Scott

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com