Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Ls1-t56?

Ls1-t56?

Hello, I am trying to track down a ls1 and a t56 for my 70 chevelle but I cant seem to find any complete packages, (motor,trans,wiring harness,) atleast not in the seattle area, without spending 5,000 bucks. So my question is, if I bought JUST the ls1 motor- that originally was an automatic and bought a seperate t56 trans, would I run into any problems with the wiring harness or any other unforseen problems bolting them together (ECU specs, extra wiring,)? THANKS

Country Flag: United States
      The ECU is the same for both auto and manual cars. The difference is the wiring. It's not hard though to change that aspect of the wiring. So if you can track down a good LS you can easily add a manual trans later. Just realize that the T56 is different between the LS and LT1 cars. They will not interchange either. Also realize T56s are not cheap. Demand is very high for them. Figure at least 1000 dollars for the trans and bellhousing. You may not even get a clutch for that price.
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

You might be able to trade harnesses with someone who needs to go form T56 to auto.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

auto to t-56

I sold my t-56 and went to an auto for price reasons, so when i sent in my harness for the rework, they did the wiring change for me an reprogrammed the computer, I had mine sent off to current performance wiring in Florida, they are on the web... if that helps you any.

5K seems to be the going rate for a good LS1/T56 combo. You could find one for less, but it'll have higher mileage. The one I bought had 29K on it, and about 1 1/2 years ago these were going for about $5500. You will most likely pay more in the end buying the engine & trans seperately.

Check out www.car-part.com , this is where I found mine. Good luck with your project,

Andy

i just got a 2002 ls1-t56 complete with 19k miles with everything for 4800 bucks but its from s.c but he ships if you would like his info send me a pm

Look for wrecks. I got a 99Z28 with 80k on it and the drivetrain had not been touched at all (no mods, etc.) and it ran liek a dream through all the gears. I paid $4500 and I've already got $1k back in parts I didn't want.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

most of the ls1 people that swap to auto go th350, so if youve got a nice built one of those laying around you can often trade them for their 6 speed setup on ls1tech
      1991 T/A - LS1 swap in progress
      2000 GTP - Slow DD

You might also look into the 6.0 liter motors as an alternative. If you watch around you can find deals on both the motors and the 6 speeds you just have to be patient. I just picked up a 6 speed last night with clutch and all for $900 but I just lucked onto it. I can get 6.0 liter take outs from trucks with around 80k miles with wiring and computers for around $1,000 - $1500 around here. Just another option to think about.
      Josh

1968 Buick Sport Wagon, 6.0 LS motor & 6 speed coming soon along with paint!

1987 Buick Regal Turbo, navy, Far from stock

1970 Dodge Dart 340, all original, family owned since new!

1974 Lincoln Continental, all original, family owned since new!

Start looking at Craigslist up and down the west coast. I did so the other night and found about 8 or so of them.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

I'd jump on this if I were you, it's a pretty good deal: http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=10438
      1969 CAMARO RS

2002 LS1-T56 Dyno results: 452 rwhp, 425 rwtq
      Project pics of my '69
      Lateral-G Feature Page
      Camaro Performers Magazine Feature

That sounds like a pretty good deal over there on Lateral-G. I found mine here in SC. It's a 2002 LS1/T-56 with only 4,800 miles and all the accessories and full harness for $4500. He even let me hear it run before I bought it. I found him through the Carolina Trader paper that they sell in gas staions. He was located in Bishopville which is in the middle of nowhere. He had a yard full of Camaros, Firebirds and some Impala SS's.
      Robert's 1969 Camaro - 2002 LS1/T56, 10pt cage, Global West Stage III front suspension, HTH truck arm rear suspension, Sprint Cup 9" full-floating rear end, Fikse Mach V 17" up front 18" in the back and still working on it...

Yuba City, CA (bout 1/2 hour north of Sacramento)
      I've got a 72 Chevelle Wagon with a 2002 Ls1/4l60e in it with Street & Performance Billett Pulleys and Alternator/ A/C Brackets and ALOT of other extras COMPLETE with harness ecu and alot of extra swap stuff you can have the whole thing for $4,500 CASH bring it home yank the motor and sell the car for $1,000-1,500 easily just need it gone! LMK!
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      J.T.

def do not be afraid to look for a motor and a trans seperate. shop around your area and see what a decent T56 rebuild will cost you. might be able to spend less or the same on a trashed T56 and have it rebuilt with good parts and have a fresh trans from the start.

for harness and PCM just remember a 98 PCM will not plug into a 99+ harness and vice versa. Not sure what you plan to do with guages but also be aware that 98 and 99 harnesses are not compatible with each other's guage clusters either. 98 harness, gotta use 98 guage cluster and vice versa.
      Sean Falls-Sales/Business Manager
      1998 Z28-D1SC at 13 PSI/FMIC/Th400/12 bolt/Cage/Full suspension/Fuel system/347" LS1, custom paint and body work!
      [email protected] 1.39 sixty http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...ost=good-times
      2003 WRX-dropped on 18's, up pipe, turbo back, Cobb stage 2 tuning, etc-the corner carver!
      2006 Artic Cat F7-the winter toy!

Quote Originally Posted by ViperBlue68
      I've got a 72 Chevelle Wagon with a 2002 Ls1/4l60e in it with Street & Performance Billett Pulleys and Alternator/ A/C Brackets and ALOT of other extras COMPLETE with harness ecu and alot of extra swap stuff you can have the whole thing for $4,500 CASH bring it home yank the motor and sell the car for $1,000-1,500 easily just need it gone! LMK!
      DAMN! That is a smokin deal!

But I'm a bit short of cash right now.

True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com