Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Questions on engine building

Firts off Im looking at a bare ls2 block that was removed from a flood vehicle that is being sold for parts. Being if that the block is in good condition would it be cheaper to build the engine the way you want it from the bare block or start with a completed engine. Im wanting like 600 whp from either n/a or boosted. I am also thinking that i can build it slowly over time since I dont even have the car I want to put it in yet. So good idea? Bad idea? Wait till i get the car firts? Or what ever your opinion is?

Country Flag: United States
      LS engines have really strong bottom ends. Get a complete engine, do some mild head work and go from there.
      The 6.0 truck engines make excellent candidates. The truck heads are the ones that give the best performance gains and the truck intakes have shown to be better on the dyno too.
      The 6.0 block and heads with good machine work, good bottom end and turbo'ing would be good for 1K hp.
      A Tahoe/truck 5.3 can make over 500hp with a cam swap and port work (using the stock intake and electronics).

If you can get a good deal on the LS2 bare block IE like $400 and it is in good shape go for it. You might be able to make 600 rwhp with a 402 stroker LS2 but its not going to be very streetable at all. However, you could do a 402 stroker LS2 with forged internals and go forced induction from there and 600 rwhp should be easy and streetable. The 6.0 truck engines are a good start and cheaper as well but either way you are gonna at least need forged rods and pistons to make the power you want. The truck intakes do breath surprisingly well but after 5000 rpms they begin to back up and become a restriction. The LS6 intake is a better choice even over the LS2 setup. However the New L92 heads and L76 intakes are making great power as well but the heads have a thin deck that is not ideal for making boost but should be fine with no more boost than you would need to run to make you power goals.

Well its less than 400 but I dont know if I am going to go with this endevor just yet. It was one of those things that you really wanna do until you think about whether if its practical or not.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com