Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

View Poll Results: Which is the better beast??

Voters
    55. You may not vote on this poll
    • Stock -- LS7 -- 505 hp.

30 54.55%
    • Built -- LS2 -- 550 hp.

25 45.45%
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Stock LS7 from GM
      Same reason as before....

WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country Flag: United States
      If you're going to touch the LS7 IN ANY WAY (thus voiding the warranty) then I would vote for a built LS2 (why not an built LS3?)

Unless you want the "coolness factor" of saying you have an LS7. It is a better engine and it has more "potential" than the LS2 since it has more cubes but it's 2.5 times more money. The best part about it is the dry-sump system but to make that work you will need to spend more $$$ on a tank and stuff.

Just my .02
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

Sorry, I didn't realize the LS2 was THAT much money.. In that case I would vote for the stock LS7.

You could save a bunch of $$$ and do a tweaked LS2(3). Heads, Cam, intake and you're easily over 500hp for under $8,000.

1968 Track Rat Camaro:

Yeah, the minute you touch the LS7 the warrenty gets ripped up. I guess I just don't see what is so damn exciting about a dry sump system. It's oil...who the hell gives a rats ass? You tell people at your local car show that you have that and I guarantee 9 out of 10 will give you a blank stare. This is like bragging about your catch can for your anti-freeze. The only benefit it has is in Road Racing. For a street car it's absolutely not necessary.

Venomous....LS2...Cam....Fast 90/90...AFR's. Get your 580hp and then use the 4K somewhere else on your vehicle. Or hell...take the girlfriend on a nice cruise in the Bahama's.
      1968 Pro-Touring Camaro LS1

Project: Next Year
      - Start date; June '01
      - Completion; Sometime next year or the year after.....

Quote Originally Posted by BossaNova
      Awright. _Now_ you've got my undivided attention. How about some dyno graphs for the 454 LSX.
      Sorry, no dyno graphs of the LSX 454 VVT yet. We hope to have it fully calibrated with power numbers by the SEMA show, but you guys will be the first to know. We will have one running at our booth in Memphis at the LSX Shootout, so you can get an up close look if you are coming out this weekend. We will also have our R&D car there running the event. It is a 2000 T/A with our L92 HO engine package.

Shaun
      www.mastmotorsports.com

Steve

well thats what it says on the Turnkey site.. i know you have a turnkey engine LS2, did you change it up?

i just want something i can pretty much drop in there, not really have to build. or just buy it built..

the LS7 i was concidering messing with it when i feel i want more umpf, so i could chill with the 505"or whatever it really is" HP till i driven the warranty out..

because the first thing im going to do is take her to lil Talladega road course that i drove last weekend..

puts ALL of this bS'ing on here into perspective...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2
      Sorry, I didn't realize the LS2 was THAT much money.. In that case I would vote for the stock LS7.

You could save a bunch of $$$ and do a tweaked LS2(3). Heads, Cam, intake and you're easily over 500hp for under $8,000.

If you are not planning on serious track time and wringing out the motor for long periods of time then go with a less expensive option.

Now, think of it this way. How many aftermarket companies run their engines for 300 hour WOT durability tests? GM knows what they are doing when it comes to making durable, long lasting engines.

Oil control and cooling is a huge factor. It's easy on a short dyno run. It's a lot harder in a chassis that can tame 500+HP in more than just a straight line.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Type
      Steve

well thats what it says on the Turnkey site.. i know you have a turnkey engine LS2, did you change it up?

i just want something i can pretty much drop in there, not really have to build. or just buy it built..

the LS7 i was concidering messing with it when i feel i want more umpf, so i could chill with the 505"or whatever it really is" HP till i driven the warranty out..

because the first thing im going to do is take her to lil Talladega road course that i drove last weekend..

puts ALL of this bS'ing on here into perspective...
      No, I had a GM crate LS2 then put on AFR heads, FAST intake and a healty COMP cam.

You could save money and the LS6 heads on the LS2 reworked.

$800 for Fast Intake
      $1500 for heads
      $400 camshaft

= >500 horsepower.. easy..

The LS2 crate engine is $5500 and you can sell the un-used junk of it for $500 of that.

I will say that Turn Key does build some nice engines though.

1968 Track Rat Camaro:

ls2

Here's a simple recipe for 573hp and 504 torque at the crank

ls2 crate motor from GM Parts direct $5721
      Fast intake 90/90 from LMperforamnce $799
      AFR heads 205 from brothers performance $2294
      Comp cam 230/232 591/595 plus parts about $400
      total $9,210

see http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec..._modification/

engine will sound like it has a cam.. but the cam is not too much so you could drive it in traffic

The $4,000 you save could go to other important items for your car

Quote Originally Posted by newbe60

total $9,210

engine will sound like it has a cam.. but the cam is not too much so you could drive it in traffic

Wish I had thought of that! lol ;)

You could save big on that recipie by foregoing the AFR heads and having the LS6 heads that come on the LS2 massaged and tweeked. That would knock almost a grand off the cost and only cost a little power.

1968 Track Rat Camaro:

Keep in mind though, you'd still need a harness, a computer (does the LS2 crate come with one), tunning and accesories. The Mast and Turnkey stuff seems to come in a smidge cheaper.

Unless you have the LS6 heads ported then (quick math.....carry the 2....) it's pretty close.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Well, I voted LS7 even though I'm eventually going to build up the LS2 in my Corvette.

For an LS7,
      I'm know that cam and tune the thing would make 600hp. The heads are great as they are, there is really no need to replace them.

It seems from looking at the Mast and Turnkey sites that these motors don't like to make much over 500 ft-lbs of torque. Does anyone know why?
      1967 Camaro Coupe

That's why I'll be changing my crank to a 4" to make a 402ci LS2.

I'm wanting a motor that has torque everywhere rather than just an impressive peak hp number. Select your parts carefully and there is no reason you shouldn't have 500 ft-lbs from a built LS2.

Got a wet sump LS7 for the 69. Wanted a 500rwhp NA powerplant, without the help of a bottle or blower. I also wanted to pay tribute to the 69 ZL-1 with it's alum 427. Couldn't do that with a LS2/3/ etc. Now with that being said it's $$$. If it doesn't matter then a beefed LS2 is the way to go. Lots cheaper, lots parts, lots easier, been there done that. As Steve has shown with Bad Penny you can get alot of hp from a LS2 for alot less than LS7. The new LSx is an iron beast that some are pushing beyond a 454 but a healthy LS2 can put alot of rubber down for alot less money down. Still the LS7 is cool, it's just pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2

I was thinking about going with a carb'ed 540ci, but after reading this thread I am thinking twice about it. So I like the idea of LS2 with heads, cam, and intake; but would it be any benefit going with a LS6 platform and doing the same upgrades?

http://www.friendlypartscenter.com/p...cat=873&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by newbe60

total $9,210

You do know that that motor in the PHR article is in Steve's (Steve1968LS2) "Penny" Camaro, right? I though it was funny since he was posting in this thread. But yes, I do agree that it is an easy way to make some power.

Venomous,
      Have you thought about getting a low-mileage used LS2? They are out there, and you could slap some heads & a cam on it to duplicate Steve's combo and have a killer engine for a lot less money. It would also be complete with accessories and a usable engine harness. Just a thought,

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by 01somta
      [/b]

I was thinking about going with a carb'ed 540ci, but after reading this thread I am thinking twice about it. So I like the idea of LS2 with heads, cam, and intake; but would it be any benefit going with a LS6 platform and doing the same upgrades?

ttt???

Quote Originally Posted by 01somta
      [/b]

You could do the same thing with an LS6, but that really wouldn't make much sense. The LS6 is really just an LS1 with better heads and a more aggressive cam. The short blocks are nearly identical, so I wouldn't spend the extra cash on an LS6 if you plan to change the heads and cam anyways. I'd get an LS1 for cheaper and do the head, cam and intake swap to it instead. Both the LS1 & LS6 are 5.7 liter engines.

The LS2 is a 6.0 liter motor, and it has the same heads as the LS6 (only with different valves) but a milder cam. It makes 400 hp stock (same as the LS6), but the extra cubic inches make it a better choice if you are going to modify it for more power.

But I guess to really answer your question, the LS2 would be the better platform to build over the LS6 due to the extra cubic inches. Other than that, there is not much different and either motor will work just fine and make good power with the right parts.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by streetk14
      You could do the same thing with an LS6, but that really wouldn't make much sense. The LS6 is really just an LS1 with better heads and a more aggressive cam. The short blocks are nearly identical, so I wouldn't spend the extra cash on an LS6 if you plan to change the heads and cam anyways. I'd get an LS1 for cheaper and do the head, cam and intake swap to it instead. Both the LS1 & LS6 are 5.7 liter engines.

The LS2 is a 6.0 liter motor, and it has the same heads as the LS6 (only with different valves) but a milder cam. It makes 400 hp stock (same as the LS6), but the extra cubic inches make it a better choice if you are going to modify it for more power.

But I guess to really answer your question, the LS2 would be the better platform to build over the LS6 due to the extra cubic inches. Other than that, there is not much different and either motor will work just fine and make good power with the right parts.

Andy
      Thank you that is exactly what I needed to know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com