Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15
      Country Flag: United States
      Looking into the Stardrive system it looks at though does a bit more than the Guard Dog system. One thing I can't find about either system is the RFID security they're using. Is either system code hopping or are they old school RFID. Basic RFID without some type of code hopping or scrambling is just a convenience not so much a security!

I'm also looking into a passkey/push button setup for my Chevelle.

Quote Originally Posted by duckmanjbr View Post
      Looking into the Stardrive system it looks at though does a bit more than the Guard Dog system. One thing I can't find about either system is the RFID security they're using. Is either system code hopping or are they old school RFID. Basic RFID without some type of code hopping or scrambling is just a convenience not so much a security!
      Since it's been 7 months, you may already have your answer but this is from the Stardrive homepage:
      Radio Frequency Identification, or RFID, is the new generation of intelligent bi-directional technology and auto electronic alarm systems. It's a dual-frequency wireless system, combined with code hopping and 64-bit encryption technology to avoid the electronic key from being duplicated and ensure security.
      I don't know what that means but it sounds like what you're looking for.

I'm looking at a Stardrive as well but there is also AdvancedKey http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK103B.html which looks to be the same kind of setup for less money, and includes an option "roll up the windows when you leave" module, which is kind of cool. At least unless you have dogs or kids you leave unattended in your car :P

It seems like there's a lot of options now that do both keyless entry and push button start but from what I've seen, these two are the most cost-efficient while having full features. The Digital Guard Dog kit is $599 (+$100 with alarm), Ididit is $640, Flaming River is $700 and the Painless Wiring setup is $800(!?)

So, does anyone have an AdvanceKey or Stardrive actually in their car? Are there any obvious flaws to these cheaper systems that a non-electrical guy would miss?
      Last edited by switchblade327; 11-03-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: typo
      Ryan

1966 Chevelle 2 dr post
      1963 Chevy II Wagon
      1955 Bel Air 2dr hardtop bucket

Have you looked at Gallotech?

Quote Originally Posted by camaro jeff View Post
      Have you looked at Gallotech?
      I haven't. Is that a recommendation or just another option? It looks competitvely priced to the AdvancedKeys or StarDrive system @~$400, so that's good.

The AdvancedKeys setup is the cheapest and I like their "auto window roll-up" add-on but I found that one of their sales reps had passed himself off as a 'happy customer' on another car forum and got himself banned, which is pretty shady.
      Ryan

1966 Chevelle 2 dr post
      1963 Chevy II Wagon

Just another option. I am currently looking for a system to and came across them. I like that I can also open the trunk with the remote. Maybe someone else on Forum has used their system.

Just for an update, I wound up going with one of the setups that Frank at Prodigy Customs sells. I'd post a link but I don't even remember which one it was!

Frank, if you see this, maybe you could share? I'm the guy who ordered the passkey system along with an ididit column and power windows for a '66 Chevelle.
      Ryan

1966 Chevelle 2 dr post
      1963 Chevy II Wagon

Advancedkeys has a nice setup but I kinda like one's with the key fob better than the card. Much easier to carry (for me) and less likely to get damaged in my hip pocket or lost in a shirt pocket. Besides, I need my ignition key anyway to unlock the wheel.

Tom Koontz

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com