Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Decent 220v tig that wont break the bank?

I'm sure some of you will be able to steer me in the right direction. I am looking at buying a tig as I plan on putting a chrome alloy cage in the car and also want to be able to do alluminum in the future.

I wont be using it a ton, but I do want something decent. I have a 110 and a 220 mig at home already so it is time to get a tig. Thanks.

Country Flag: United States
      I'd discuss your needs with your local welding supplier. Lincoln and Miller reps come by my supplier and hold "Open House" on occasion. You can try the machines out and the prices are usually competitive with the mail order guys.

My Lincoln 175 Pro Plus hasn't let me down yet. I use a Miller water-cooled torch on it and am quite pleased. If I were to do it again, I'd get a Miller Synchrowave 180. It's about $200 more than the Lincoln, but you get balance control. Total cost for everything: welder, cart, bottle, etc. was about $2100.

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Thanks John.. I was looking at the Miller Sync 180.

It depends on your definition of breaking the bank. The cheapest Miller TIG that will do aluminum is the 180SD , and at about $2100, it's not exactly "cheap". A comparable Lincoln will do fine for what you describe, but do yourself a favor and don't buy a brand that you've never heard of. You'll also need a bottle or two of Argon, at around $150/ea.

Chrome Moly isn't the easiest material to weld correctly. Your beads should be fairly small, and should allways have color in them, and be shiny. Flat grey, and you're too hot, which means the weld and HAZ are brittle.
      -Matt

Welders: The only people that think a co-worker catching on fire is funny.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com