Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Another from Raleigh

Hi, just thought I'd introduce myself on here. Name is Jim from Raleigh, NC. I recently purchased another '68 Camaro and of course it didn't take long to find this forum.
      I've been lurking in the suspension area trying to decide weather or not to go with the minitub. All too familiar for you guys I can see. I know it'll never be on the track so am currently leaning toward 275's however, I've been back-n-forth 100 times over the past couple weeks - so who knows.
      Anyway, I got ahold of a factory 8 cyl/auto car with fairly decent sheet metal (better than my last one at least). I'm planning on doing the RS clone (prefer the look) this time around with a 6 speed, decent brakes and handling - yet to be determined.
      After reading way too many threads in the suspension forum, I can safely say that several/many of you guys are way beyond my level...4 link vs 3 link vs truck arms and designing your own and all.
      I was dead set on at least 315's out back but as you know one thing leads to another and now I'm just not so sure its worth the trouble. Besides, my mig sucks and I'm worse at using it I think.
      Well, nice forum and thanks for sharing.

Country Flag: United States
      Jim,
      Welcome aboard and it is good to see another southeastner join up.The great thing I have found here is that most everyone is helpful and don't mind sharing their experiances with you. Don't worry about your level of expertise,someone will be glad to help. The r/s really does improve the 68s to me also,such a clean look up front. :icon996:

Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

Welcome aboard, Jim. We're happy to answer questions to help you decide.

Welcome, welcome. Oh, and don't forget, pics are a requirement! Everyone loves a project car, so post 'em if ya got 'em.

Welcome,the 275's will fit without cutting up the rear of the car so that will save you some cutting! Are you going to leave the current engine or go ls1/6spd?BTW I am from NC also.

welcome aboard! I say cut it! But 275's arent that tiny if you decide not too.

Thanks all, I'm sure I'll be hanging out on here often. Right, 275's no cut vs 315's or 335's (which is where I wanna be) and I start hacking - hence my struggle. Sure I could settle for basically what my '97 WS6 or '00 C5 had (which was really fine for what I used them for) but of course I really *want* fat tires. Afterall, I didn't really need this car either - heheh. Damn, see how easy I go back-n-forth.
      As for engine, no I hadn't planned to go the LSx route because, well, I already had a decent crate 383 stroker standing by for this toy and as luck would have it - I got the car with what seems to be a healthy Dart headed 355ci. The engine was supposedly 'custom built' (for whatever that was supposed to mean) but hadn't run in 5 yrs because of a bolt broken off. Well, I had it drilled/tapped and running in a couple hrs after unloading it in the garage and replacing the dried out lines and fuel pump. I admit it sounds good, but after going over the car I found a tore up axle so I couldn't take it out for a demo. Regardless, I don't need an LS although I would like fuel inj vs the carb setup. I've got to have a 6 speed though.
      I'll be doing everything myself to include paint which will help of course, but I may need some welding practice depending on my tub decision. Incidently, my welding skill (or lack thereof) is really the only thing causing me this struggle I guess.
      Anyway, thanks for the replies and I look forward learning on here and sharing what I can. Some local guys too - can't beat that. Not easy finding a car guy where I work.
      Now lets see if I can figure out how to post a pic.....
      ---------------
      well, i'll get some guy at work to host some if not.

thanks again.

http://www.sheephole.com/photos/img_...&exif=&alb=sec

Hi Jim...

Glad you found this site... I'm fairly new to the site as well.

I'm actually in the Raleigh, NC area and currently performing restoration on a '68 Camaro too... What's the odds?

Have you ever heard of the Carolina F-Body Club? I'm a member and hang out at some of the events... Dyno days (at Carolina Auto Masters), Grillin' & Chillin', Etc... You could check it out if you like... www.carolinafbodyclub.com

Maybe you and I could talk sometime about our rides... It would be nice to have a local 1st Gen Guy to discuss possibilities, parts, and setups...

Take care,
      TIM
      '68 Camaro SS 383+D1SC, Orion Silver (Dyno #'s Soon!)
      '95 Camaro Z28 383 LT1 (405 RWHP/428 RWTQ, SAE - DynoJet)
      '99 Corvette LS1

Welcome to the site, Jim.

Thanks.

Tim, yeah I came across that website the other night. I used to be a member of the Mid Atlantic club many years ago when I had my first 1st gen. Is cool to hang out with like minded folks. I'm not really into the show car scene anymore (gettin whiped up on by trailer queens got old pretty quick- lol). How far along are you on yours - jus curious? I've been to a couple local hang outs around here years ago when I had something worthy of taking.
      Anyway, while I'm still struggling with that tub or not decision I figured I midas well start collecting some parts, should have a t56 coming before too long (it'll be awhile before I need it of course) thanks to this site. So that's cool. Guess I need to pour through some more archives to figure out what all I'm gonna need for that item - moving the shifter n all. Already seen the kit from teetoe...might need that -hehe.

/jim

Jim,

Still in the body work phase as well as the never ending parts ordering phase...

Here are pictures of the car as it was when I purchased it...

http://community.webshots.com/album/231953252rPtPQB

It came with several Items as well as some body work already accomplished... The Floor pans have been redone, both rear quarters as well as both rear fender wells have been replaced, has a new cowl ind. hood, new gas tank, sending unit, bolt kit, and trunk pan...

Lot's left... I've been pondering the LS1/T56 swap but I'm not real sure...I have several voices inside telling me to go the carbed 355 or 383 route and throw on a Procharger...

TIM
      '68 Camaro SS 383+D1SC, Orion Silver (Dyno #'s Soon!)
      '95 Camaro Z28 383 LT1 (405 RWHP/428 RWTQ, SAE - DynoJet)
      '99 Corvette LS1

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com