Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Bigstuff3 injection???

Here's a link, just saw this in Hot Rod magazine, it does a lot and is very low priced for it's capablitites.
      Anyone know about this unit?
      http://www.bigstuff3.com/index2.html
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Should be an EXCELLENT unit; it's designed by John Meaney, the same guy that basically started the whole aftermarket DFI trend when he made the Accel DFI box years back, and then went on to design the FAST box.

I like the scaleable tables myself. My FAST has a 16 x 17 table and in some areas I really wish I had more resolution, especially in the idle-2500 rpm range where I'm typically driving around town. This 16 cell table gets especially limiting as you go up in RPM potential as the RPM jumps between cells get pretty big; you only have 16 cells of resolution evenly divided over your entire RPM range. For a 4500 rpm engine this gives good resolution; for an 8500 rpm engine, not so good.

The BS3 also has extremely fast processing, extremely fast WB02 response, etc, compared to current offerings. Also a lot of features for the price.

I know a couple people with BS3 boxes (Jody being one of them) but none of those that I know with the boxes have them installed and running yet.

Finally, a big benefit, self-learning. Punch in your desired A/F ratios on the wideband table and it will automatically tune the VE table. This will save quite a bit of time in developing a good base VE table.

I bought my FAST in January of '03, but I've only had my car up and running with it for 3 months now and I'm seriously thinking of switching to the BS3. The FAST works great but I would really like more resolution in the VE table, I feel it would allow me to tune it to be even smoother in the "around-town" ranges. Money no object I'd be running a Motec, but the BS3 should prove to be an excellent unit for far less green.

Troy
      1969 Chevelle
      Old setup: Procharged/intercooled/EFI 353 SBC, TKO, ATS/SPC/Global West suspension, C6 brakes & hydroboost.
      In progress: LS2, 3.0 Whipple, T56 Magnum, torque arm & watts link, Wilwood Aero6/4 brakes, Mk60 ABS, vaporworx, floater 9" rear, etc.

Seen mention of it on LS1tech....

David,

I've read posts over on ls1tech, search for 'BS3' as mentioned previously by Troy. While your there, "427" is Kurt from Wheel to Wheel in Detroit. At thier open house was a +500 HP L series turbo motor in the dyno run by a Big Stuff controller. There was someone there (from Big Stuff I'm assuming) and they were tweaking the controller's firmware on the spot. I say go for it. I'll be researching them more in the future for my motor.

--JMarsa

It is a great system. At the open house both engines on dyno's were running on BS3. The engine that was turbocharged was a 6.0 mule that was being used that day for John and Joe Meaney to test a boost controller that is built into the box. The other engine was a 580hp NA LS2 based stroker engine.
      We use the system on all engines that we run on the dyno, mostly gen3 GM engines.
      You will be happy with the ability you will gain over the FAST.

Kurt
      Quote Originally Posted by JMarsa
      David,

I've read posts over on ls1tech, search for 'BS3' as mentioned previously by Troy. While your there, "427" is Kurt from Wheel to Wheel in Detroit. At thier open house was a +500 HP L series turbo motor in the dyno run by a Big Stuff controller. There was someone there (from Big Stuff I'm assuming) and they were tweaking the controller's firmware on the spot. I say go for it. I'll be researching them more in the future for my motor.

--JMarsa

How much does a typical GEN3 unit cost?
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Wow...The Kurtmeister chimed in....... Hi Kurt..
      Alot of you might not know it but Kurt is responsible for alot of the twin turbo work on the Mule.
      A Friend just got his 8-71 blown and injected 32 Ford up and running with Big Stuff 3..so far so good.

The hardware seems to be very capable, but I must admit I am a little disappointed in terms of resolution and a few other features. The resolution on BS3 is 16x16 with a user defined scale. This is the same resolution as the Holley Commander 950. The Commander also allows the user to define the individual rows and columns. However the Commander retails for just under 1000 dollars with a narrow band and about 1395 with a wideband. If you want to make 1000 HP with a twin turbo LS1, then BS3 is for you. If you have a naturally aspirated small or big block or any other engine with a conventional distributor, then the Commander is by far the best bang for the buck. Its only limiting factor is its inability to run 8 low impedence injectors. The Commander also has much better resolution on its cold start and air intake temperature modifier tables. This will give you better cold weather starting and drivability. In the end, for 90% of the people out there, the Commander is more than sufficient and can save you a bundle of $$$.

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 01-08-2005 at 11:14 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Andrew, thanks for the info. I like the Holley manual the best, I think I could tune it with a little practice.
      I'm still reading up on aftermarket EFI, so I have no practical experience with them but the Bigstuff unit has three features I like, 1. ignition control, 2. it will power a (actually two) wideband sensor(s) 3. with no extra boxes attached. I really don't like the addition of extra boxes to do the job. It also does sequential injector timing which may not be important, but it may make a difference since I will be using an individual runner Hilborn manifold.

The system from BS3 for a LS gen3 type engine is about 2300.00 dollars.
      It can also adjust coil charge time in milliseconds against rpm.
      Internal boost control.
      Runs a gen3 GM with no external boxes while using all factory sensers.

Charlie: The headers on the Mule look awsome!

Kurt

427 my application would be for an engine almost identical to the normally aspirated version of the Mule.
      Charley, do you still have the Mule headers? I'm looking for stainless steel headers for 18 deg heads with Stahl bolt pattern, spread center ports.

I have em but I might end up needing them in the future. Clearance might be a issue anyway because they were built for the Art Rasmussen subframe and not a stock one.

Charley, I fourgot about the subframe, those wouldnt work.

Mark said he thought Hedman was making headers for 18 degree heads so maybe you can talk them into doing the Stahl pattern.

I basically agree with Andrew, the BS3 would be great on either Gen3 engines or turbo'd old-school small blocks, but probably overkill for a N/A small block.

I wouldn't worry about base fuel table resolution on either the BS3 or the Holley. anything bigger than 16x16 is just a marketing point, as unless you own a dyno you WON'T tune every point of your base fuel curve, not to mention the fact that, once you're off-idle it's incredibly easy to fill in most of the table once you have an established torque curve.

As mentioned before, the low impedance injector support MAY be an issue, depending on your engine and the selected injectors. To clear things up, the benefit of low impedance injectors is linear flow range; side by side with a high impendance injector of the same flow rating, the low impendance injector can be controlled down to lower flow rates. This translates into better idle quality. There is no real power gain.

However, high impendance injectors are improving. The "bosch style" (Delphi calls theirs "multec 1") were only reliable down to pulsewidths of around 2ms. Newer generations of injectors (multec 2, 3, and now 3.5) are down below 1.5ms at 12v and higher, which is nearing the performance of the low impedance injectors sold by most aftermarket companies (and are themselves relatively old design). I've tested the 3's, and have a 2 that I will be testing soon.

David, if you can send me an estimated torque curve I can give you a better idea of whether you will require low impendance injectors.

Remember, for a race car where idle isn't super critical, it's a lot cheaper to turn the screw in and idle it at 1100 RPM than to buy low impedance injectors and idle it at 700.

The reason I'm going with BS3

Is the wideband feature is built in, as well as it's ability to run the automatic 4l80e without a separate computer. It can also fire 8 coils with a coil on plug setup. All these features usually run a hefty additional price, but BS3 has it all in one.

Quote Originally Posted by 502imp
      Is the wideband feature is built in, as well as it's ability to run the automatic 4l80e without a separate computer. It can also fire 8 coils with a coil on plug setup. All these features usually run a hefty additional price, but BS3 has it all in one.

There is an additional charge for the trans controller, at least I had to pay it to activate mine. I had the $1795. controller. About $500.to activate the trans controls.

Jody

Its nice to have everything integrated into one box, but there are advantages to have the wideband circutry in a seperate box. If something should fail, you replace one low cost box vs. having to replace the whole ECU.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Opinions?

Where does Megasquirt fit into the injection controller game?

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Just curious what you guys think.

It is true that BigStuff3 is not capable of dry nitrous??? I was about to purchase a box until I found this out.... something to do with patents or copyright issue with FAST or something? Funny that the people that were trying to sell it to me knew full well what I was planning to do and failed to mention this fact (if it is true).

Sorry to hijack the thread (I'm new here) but what do the EFI experts recommend for a 638 cubic inch sheet metal 4 x 2bbl throttle body multistage dry nitrous? I am leaning heavily towards F.A.S.T. Blown383, if you are willing to sell your FAST system in favor of BS3 please send me a PM or EMAIL. Thanks!

LUMP

P.S. I'm an EFI virgin so be gentle.

Quote Originally Posted by oleyeller
      Where does Megasquirt fit into the injection controller game?

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Just curious what you guys think.

Megasquirt is also good, cheap but has limitations... I believe its only an 8X8 table which is much less than the BigStuff box, I was considering making a Megasquirt for my MX6 just to toy around with and farmilliarize myself better with EFI tuning before I jump into anything else without any experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com