Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Dropped A-Body Disk Brake Conversion

I WAS LOOKING AT SOME STUFF, I AM LEANING TOWARDS THE C5 BRAKE CONVERSION, WITH 2" DROP SPINDLES IN THE FRONT. HOTCHKIS SPRINGS AND SWAY BARS. tHE ONLY THING THAT I AM LOOKING FOR INFO ON, IS CAN THIS CONVERSION USE THE STOCK CONTROL ARMS AND IF THE CONVERSION FITS THE DROPPED SPINDLES. YOU HAVE TO USE DRUM HUBS, WHICH I HAVE, SO I NEED TO SEE IF IT BOLTS UP.

Country Flag: United States
      You'll likely find a consensus here that "dropped spindles" are not the way to go.

If memory serves, the B-body "tall spindle" conversion gives ~1 inch of drop; you can use the stock control arms if you don't mind having a large number of shims (actual amount of shims needed will depend on how much "frame sag" your frame has.

I'm pretty sure that the drum hubs won't help you for the B-body conversion.. which makes me wonder - which C5 conversion/dropped spindles were you planning on?

thanks for the info, i am new to the lowering thing. I am not looking for a total race car, just want the car to be comparable to a new sports car. I was looking at the b spindle setup also. What is the best way to lower the front? They make the c5 brake kit that fits the stock drum spindle. should i do this and use a lowering spring? I appriciate all the info in advance guys, thanks

I would say the best way to go is the B-body spindles with tubular upper arms and lowered springs. That will give You the best geometry and total pacakge. A Bear track kit and Global West uppers will give You great results.
      Daniel Kuehn
      '71 C-Prepared Chevelle

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com