Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are there any computers that do way more than just run the motor?

I've been thinking about upgrading from a fuel only holley projection system to maybe a commander 950 but before I do I was wondering if there is anything that does way more than just run the engine? Like maybe one that has a remote starter and will also pop the trunk and door locks for you? Or even cruise control? Or is something like this not likely to ever happen?

Some have extra inputs and outputs, so you could arrange it, but you will not be able to come close to what OEM computers will do.
      At this time I wouldn't expect to see the aftermarket get into that. Perhaps in the future, if there is enough demand, but right now it wouldn't be cost effective.

Country Flag: United States
      In the past the door locks & trunk are controlled by a BCM (Body Control Module) computer, separate from the PCM (Powertrain Control Module). Not sure about the newer vehicles.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Quote Originally Posted by Samckitt
      In the past the door locks & trunk are controlled by a BCM (Body Control Module) computer, separate from the PCM (Powertrain Control Module). Not sure about the newer vehicles.
      Oh alright, I was looking for a solid way to seperate the computers. So typical cars have 3 electronics boxes? a body control module, a powertrain control module and an entertainment center?

on an alarm i put in on a grand cherokee, a single input wire took care of lock/unlock and remote start, meaning one unit. what a nightmare though

And an ABS unit.....?
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

BCM, PCM, EBCM... and the ECU are typical of late model systems.

It could work... if you used the whole system out of a late model... but not likely without. Well... not now at least, but the demand could drive something into production. It however, wouldnt be cheap by any means.

Heck some of the current models have as many as 7 or 8 "control modules"
      Look at it this way, the PCM runs the engine but "talks" to the TCM,EBCM,ICM, BCM and even more even the radio.
      Most of the new systems run over a single wire network ,most of the older ones ran 2 wire system.
      OK figure it this way, the cruise only reads a signal from the pcm/tcm. as most only control the throttle unless the car is fly by wire.
      Remote control of the trunk,doors,etc is best left to a seperate system.
      Why gook up a fuel injection setup trying to make it run a bunch of other stuff?
      Figure the new cars are tieing everything together ,as one it gives tons of info to the ecm so all of the controls can fine tune things to the nth degree.
      This is why all of the newer cars are more user friendly, tractive, performers and not gas hogs, super dirty cars.
      Dont get me wrong I think most cars are too complicated, for the most part but some integration is good. Like tieing the ECM,TCM,BCM and the EBCM together gives us more control of the ABS (controled by the Electronic Brake Control Module) using it for traction control and pitch/yaw control.
      This can also determne how aggresive the tune can be, if you have 4 people in the car you need a different tune, different shift points, etc.
      The networked information can also control multiple displacement control, skip shift options, etc.
      I got to drive one of the hybrid Sierras they shut down at stop lights, and this one was being tracked and even had multi displacemtn capabilites. VERY cool.
      A friend of mine had a 73 Camaro with a LSx/Auto combo, and he had swapped in Vette style front/rear brakes, while out west he had the engine let go and went to local yard and was looking around for a new engine, he had rented a garage that was closing, had tools and a lift and was simply going to install a fresh engine.
      He found one of the Hybrids and installed it, hooked up the Vette ABS to the system (his car already had been wired form an LSx car so a lot of the wiring retrofitted and we had used a lot of the power accesories from the other car and the bcm integrated very nicely and so far the onlything it has issues with is lack of secondary o2, the simulator is not working as we hoped, but thats simply adding in the back O2, and he now has Random Technologies converters. But he pulls up and the car simply dies at lights, it get 32 mpg on open highway. For the computer to understand his rear gears we simply got a board built to slow the count by a set percentage.
      He runs Nordskog GPS speedo so he has no actual speeding problems.
      BUT as for doing it with aftermarket stuff, then keep tuned to www.megasquirt.com as they are working in the can controler chip into the ecu.
      WE were very surprized that the LSx car and Vette ABS blended with the Sierra electronics with little issues.
      I work on newer cars everyday and I am still learning and I have one tool thats $5000+ out of my pocket and I still need to buy more tools and update that one.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

What do TCM, EBCM and ICM stand for? What other control modules are there?

Heck, it gets crazier, try 70+ on board "control modules" on the new BMW 7 series cars!
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 70TWO NOVA
      Heck, it gets crazier, try 70+ on board "control modules" on the new BMW 7 series cars!
      What a mess, what do all these modules do?

Quote Originally Posted by aggressive male
      What a mess, what do all these modules do?
      They have a module that just controls the power windows, power door locks, lights, entertainment, electric trunk and door closing actuators, as well as a bunch more.
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

Its actually much more cost effective to build a network of intellegent devices than to have 100lb+ of wiring in a car.

Well, multiplexing is much faster now that fiber optics is coming into the industry, but im sure it will still be a while before it gets to us.
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by EFI69Cam
      Its actually much more cost effective to build a network of intellegent devices than to have 100lb+ of wiring in a car.
      Do you mean rather than having one module that controls many things you will save weight in wiring by having several spread all over the car? How could this be? You still have to wire all the modules together don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by 70TWO NOVA
      They have a module that just controls the power windows, power door locks, lights, entertainment, electric trunk and door closing actuators, as well as a bunch more.
      And one for each power seat so you can hit a button so it adjust to a preset? And one for the power telescoping steering column and tilt to adjust to a preset? I'll bet with that much silly junk crammed in the car it makes it so no one can ever fix anything that breaks, they either live with it broken or get another one. Just like a video camera.

Look here for a box that will work with your Holley and do everything you asked except cruise: http://www.directed.com/

I mated one of these to my Accel Gen7 system although I'm only using the alarm and courtesy light features.
      1967 Firebird Convert, Fuel Injected 462 ci, TKO 600
      http://1967firebird.atwebpages.com

And one for each power seat so you can hit a button so it adjust to a preset? And one for the power telescoping steering column and tilt to adjust to a preset? I'll bet with that much silly junk crammed in the car it makes it so no one can ever fix anything that breaks, they either live with it broken or get another one. Just like a video camera.
      pretty much
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

Do you mean rather than having one module that controls many things you will save weight in wiring by having several spread all over the car? How could this be? You still have to wire all the modules together don't you?
      An example is the door module in a late GM car. It controls the locks and the window motor. Instead of 4 wires to the lock and window motor you now have 2, power and data. It does simplify the wiring, and diagnostics.

Quote Originally Posted by EFI69Cam
      An example is the door module in a late GM car. It controls the locks and the window motor. Instead of 4 wires to the lock and window motor you now have 2, power and data. It does simplify the wiring, and diagnostics.
      I see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com