Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4l80E to sbc

4l80E to sbc

How would i go about installing a 4L80e or even a 4l60e to my 355? Where would i buy the converter at? Any help would be fine

Thanks, Rob

1993 Camaro Z28
      2001 Camaro Z28
      1969 Camaro

Country Flag: United States
      In addition to the transmission, you will need a transmission controller and TPS sensor to carburetor adapter. The hardest part of the the swap is the crossmember. On the 4L80E camaro we are presently building at Jake's Rod Shop, the OE crossmember was modified with tabs welded to the subframe. This approach yielded proper driveline angle AND good exhaust clearance. 4L60E swaps are a little easier.
      You will also need to shorten your driveshaft and if you still have 3.08 gears, you will want to change them to a higher numerical ratio. You will positively hate overdrive and 3.08 gears at any speed under 90mph.
      I can provide the converter, computer and TPS kit--and paddle shifter if you are so inclined.
      I have had difficultly buying off the shelf converters for pro-touring applications since we use overdrive and relatively short tires. Every converter I have purchased, though properly spec'd for old school street/strip applications, turned out to be too sloppy for our cars. If you get the computer through my company, I offer lifetime computer set-up and calibration support. I tell you where all of the plugs get connected, then I teach you how to set up and calibrate the software to your exact application and driving style.
      If you are switching over from a TH350, your car's personality will be completely transformed for the better. The computer allows youto switch from automatic mode to full manual mode and back. No need for a manual valve body.

What about the Flexplate? What one would a person need to run for a 4L80E?

Standard flexplates work. You will just use the torque converter to flexplate hardware that comes with your converter.

So you need:
      BASIC:
      4L80E transmission
      4L80E converter
      electronic transmission controller--harness included
      remote mount throttle position sensor kit
      modified corssmember
      shortened driveshaft
      ADDITIONAL:
      low profile cooler fittings (very helpful)
      electronic speedo signal converter OR electronic speedo
      paddle shifter (by no means necessary, but cool)

Thanks alot steve. So a standard internal balanced sbc flexplate will bolt up to the 4l80e converter? Other then that this swap is looking alot easier. And im building another 10 bolt with 3.90 gears so that should be better then the 3.08 gears huh?

1993 Camaro Z28
      2001 Camaro Z28
      1969 Camaro

3.90's will work. They will put you up into the power band in overdrive which is a good thing. I laugh when I see people bragging about running 1800 rpm in overdrive. Not making any power there. We will spend some time with your map to soften up the 1-2 shift a little as compard to the other gear changes. We will also get the 1-2 shift over and done with quickly at part throttle. I don't charge for software setup and calibration over the phone. You will be amazed at how powerful, yet simple this stuff is.

You have got me intersted,what transmission controllers do you use/recomend and sell? Can these be used on ford 4R70W applications ? Sorry to stray from the original topic.
      427 Pro Touring Falcon XP
      http://xpfalcon.kicks-ass.net/XPFalcon/Others/Ross.htm(old info)
      Web site I made for guys doing my Chassis work
      http://www.rodcity.com.au/

Cubes they use TCI standalone tranmission controllers i think. Its on there website called the Tcom.

1993 Camaro Z28
      2001 Camaro Z28
      1969 Camaro

Oh and thanks million steve, i bet you hear that alot lol

1993 Camaro Z28
      2001 Camaro Z28
      1969 Camaro

Thanks. We try. And we're having fun at this which helps a lot. Now that we've gotten into converters, we really feel like we can provide the best possible autmatic experience--bar none.

We sell mostly TCI computers because they offer the best manual mode--hands down. TCI offers manual mode features like automatic 1st gear restarts if you bring the vehicle to a full stop. That is handy to prevent you from leaving in high gear by accident. Also if you switch from auto to manual on the fly, the TCI controller starts out in whatever gear you were in while in automatic mode.

Other than that, the Powertrain Control Solutions piece is superior. But manual mode is true manual--just like a stick. You must have your brain turned on at all times.

All of the controllers work excellent...TCI, PCS, Baumann, Compushift. I try to match people with the best controller for their needs.

Will i like the 4-speed overdrive more then my 3 speed? I mean i love how long my 2nd gear is...it just keeps going and going with my 3.08 gears.

1993 Camaro Z28
      2001 Camaro Z28
      1969 Camaro

If it is an electronic trans, you will be able to exactly calibrate the trans for your exact combination and your exact driving preference. No pre-electronic trans, 3 or 4 speed can compare. As for your 3.08's with overdrive, you will run into low speed drivability issues. Not the transmission's fault--just a matter of your engine power band. Until your rear gears are changed you will tune the 3-4 shift to occur at a high enough speed. You will probably have a 3 speed up to about 70 mph.

Are you pushing more power than what a 4L60E can take?
      A 4L80E is a lot like a Turbo 400, it takes a lot of power to run one. Expect a noticeable power loss when you make the swap from the TH350. The 80E is a heavy unit too.
      You'll save weight and gain power by using a 60E.
      Or you could up the nitrous by another 50.

I'm not disagreeing with you. A street 355 fits squarely into built 4L60E territory. But some guys are going the junkyard 4L80E route and saving money. Much of the weight/parasitic loss difference can be attributed to the stock converter. And the converter should be the first part to get jettisoned when choosing a 4L80E. After that, the difference is about 30 lbs. And it is 30 lbs located at bottom middle of the car. As for measured real wheel power differences, some folks have seen some loss, no loss or even gains.

Just saying that the weight/parasitic loss argument is a little overblown. There is definitely more rotating mass to ovecome, but greater parasitic loss--if it is present in a particular combination--can sometimes be written off in the name of reliability. No one likes swapping trannies. The stock 4L80E is becoming more of an alternative to the built 4L60E.

The 4L80 is surely bullet proof. It'd take a lot to destroy one, I can see where even a modded small block can hurt a semi-stock 4L60.
      Could go ose step farther and add a paddle/manumatic shift system.

Sounds like a cool swap.
      Keep posting updates.

Thanks i havent started the swap yet. Im actually redoing my engine first then comes the paddle shifters!

1993 Camaro Z28
      2001 Camaro Z28
      1969 Camaro

Thanks. We'll be here when you're ready.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/700MegaRaptor.htm
      they can also build 4l60E and 4l80E too.
      These are very much bullet proof. A buddy ahs a 700R4/4L60 behind a 700+cube big block and so far the trans and converter hasnt given up yet and the fluid was still red and smelled good at last service.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Hotrod
      Are you pushing more power than what a 4L60E can take?
      A 4L80E is a lot like a Turbo 400, it takes a lot of power to run one. Expect a noticeable power loss when you make the swap from the TH350. The 80E is a heavy unit too.
      You'll save weight and gain power by using a 60E.
      Or you could up the nitrous by another 50.
      do you have REAL evidence to back this up?

Or like most are you assuming. Yes it is heavier, by about 70lbs once you get a good convertor.

In the applications I have used it in, the et's went DOWN, aka we are going faster. So much for taking more power to run.

Did you know a 4l60e has things spinning and to shift it must STOP them.

A 4l80e has things stopped and to shift it releases things. HMMM

4l60e requires about twice the line pressure, pressure takes power to make.

I just know from my experience the 80e does NOT require more power, it costs 1/2 as much to build and as stated the computer is really the GOOD thing about it.

3.08 gears and 4l80e work GREAT for a turbo car though.
      Jeff
      '62 Nova Convert
      '63 Nova Hardtop
      '92 GMC Typhoon "Not Stock"
      '93 GMC Typhoon "Stock"

one word of advice get a 4l80 or 60 from a pre 99 truck pre 98 camaro etc gen iii and iv motors have a different input shaft and wont work on a gen 1 or 2 motor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com