Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

What small block Mopar would u recommend for Turbo Charging?

I want my next pro-touring project to be a Turbo Charged Small block Mopar, to go in a 1970 Cuda. My issue right now is deciding what size small block to go with, and once that is determined, to decide what compression ratio would go best with this kind of setup. Im looking for opinions here, so any input would be appreciated. So if you were to build/design a small-block turbo'ed mopar, how would you do it specifically? Thanks

340ci? 360ci? 383ci?

Doesnt really matter, they will all make power with a turbo. A bigger motor will normally produce boost sooner with the same turbo specs.
      No more than 9-1 compression, with 8- 8.5 being the norm.
      1965 Buick Skylark

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina

size

I'd go with the 360 get a magnum version. More MP parts availible,common bracketry making it easy for clearance,ie late model Dakota serp belt drive, and small packaging saving room for turbos and plumbing.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

https://www.pro-touring.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&dateline=1323422564
      Follow us on Facebook

Since you're starting at square 1 anyway, I'd stroke what ever sb you go with. 408 or 416 ci.

I'm a fan of big blocks myself. My next motor will be a 383 stroked to 468 ci.
      1968 Plymouth Road Runner

S.B Mopar

Like peterr said a stroker is the way to go. By the way a 383 Mopar is a big block unlike a 383 stroker chevy. A stroker 408 is a 360 with 0.30 inch bore and a 4.00 inch crank and a 416 is a 340 with a 0.30 with a 4.00 inch crank. The blocks have to be stock bore of course. These combo's make great horsepower and a crazy amount of torque. Backed by a Keisler 5 speed and 4.10's in my Heavy Challenger my 416 went 11.70 on street tire's roasting the tire's all through 3rd gear . Then i drove it home. I would go no higher then 8.5 to 1's on a turbo engine Im in the process of building a turbo engine for the Challenger as the 416 found a new home in the Cuda . If you need more specifics e mail me .

Country Flag: United States
      I'm kind of a Chevy guy, but when they brought back the Hemi I had thoughts of a early Cuda or Challenger with a turbocharged late model Hemi in front of a Viper box........

Kurt

I'm kinda thinking the same as 427.

I don't know anything about mopars, but the things to take into consideration with building a mid power (500-800hp) turbo motor are; Crank Strength, strong pistons, strong rods, Low (8-9) compression, a decently high lift cam with no overlap, and a stout block. Head design is pretty secondary, since most heads that aren't crap will be able to keep up.

Think about O-ringing the block as well...a good insurance policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
      I'm kinda thinking the same as 427.

I don't know anything about mopars, but the things to take into consideration with building a mid power (500-800hp) turbo motor are; Crank Strength, strong pistons, strong rods, Low (8-9) compression, a decently high lift cam with no overlap, and a stout block. Head design is pretty secondary, since most heads that aren't crap will be able to keep up.

Think about O-ringing the block as well...a good insurance policy.
      Please enlighten me as to what a Hemi is and what kind of heads are required to make it keep up as you say? As a Mopar guy I would love to know what you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynlo416
      Please enlighten me as to what a Hemi is and what kind of heads are required to make it keep up as you say? As a Mopar guy I would love to know what you know.
      Now, now. Be nice to the Chevy guy. He gave some good non-specific advice on building a strong bottom end. He was probably referencing the new 5.7 Hemi. Don't know if there are turbo kits for them yet.
      1968 Plymouth Road Runner

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRR
      Now, now. Be nice to the Chevy guy. He gave some good non-specific advice on building a strong bottom end. He was probably referencing the new 5.7 Hemi. Don't know if there are turbo kits for them yet.
      I apologize for jumpin on the chevy dude. Knowledge is power........lol. And no they don't have a turbo for the new Hemi in a kit.

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina
      not yet....
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

https://www.pro-touring.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&dateline=1323422564
      Follow us on Facebook

dennis68 Guest
      But they do have a supercharger.....

Sorry man :( But at least I admitted off the bat I don't know anything about mopars. I have friends in the business of making turbo kits (HP performance, Solid technologies, and Hellion power systems) but none have turboed a Mopar. Considering it's these guys that I get a lot of the knowledge on this from I just offered up what I had. I know what a hemi is, and I know how they work, just suggested that you probably don't need a lot of additional headwork.

I know of two options to go blown with the new 5.7 liter Hemi. The first being supercharged and Kenne Bell makes a really slick screw type supercharger kit that is fairly easy to install and maintains warranty. As for the turbo side of the Hemi, I know of a friend who is really into the new Hemi scene and has been emailing back and forth with a custom shop in Texas (I THINK?) that almost has all the tooling, piping, headers and turbos set up to market as a full kit, they even offer a reprogrammed ECU with this kit but as far as I know it isn't out yet but should be soon.

i know what a HEMI is!

HEMI = massive valves and air/fuel flow = good for boost

I think ive decided to go with the Mopar 360 Magnum crate motor.

My next question is, how much HP do you think the bottom end is good for? 500? 600?
      or do you think it would be a better idea to build it from scratch like a 408 or 416 like mentioned previously specifically for a TURBO setup?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com