Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I have an update!

The first thing I did last night was finally bolt the rear axle to the Global West L2 rear springs. To do this properly on my monoleaf rear axle, I used the Detroit Speed monoleaf to multileaf conversion kit. Basically, it uses a pair of 1" square bar rectangles to act as spring perch extensions. Here is a picture:

The conversion kit comes with 7/16" U bolts, but I had already bought 1/2" ones. I just simply drilled out aluminum blocks to accept the larger diameter. Speaking of the blocks, the 1" dimension of the blocks is a perfect fit. I put 45lbf*ft on the U bolts, and that just leaves the slightest clearance in the blocks: ie, all the compressive force is going into the springs. In the picture you can also see the Detroit Speed shock mount plates...
      Steven

1968 Camaro: Project "TRACKDAY"

Latest Track Weekend Video

Build in Progress

Plumbing a braking system is not fun...but I was able to finish it in a matter of 2 days. It's not pretty, but eventually I just sighed and said, "good enough." I just hope it doesn't leak...

Wilwood, Kore3, Inline Tube

Here are some pics, hopefully the installation doesn't come across as too hacky (although the hose clamps on the axle don't help.

Don't worry, that tube doesn't drop in the way of the steering box shaft...it's just the angle of the picture.

Yet another mockup of the rear caliper:

Next update looks like it will be the installation of my ATS 670 steering box and Detroit Speed steering linkage.

Thanks!
      Steven
      Steven

Build in Progress

Latest update!

I had debated for a while whether to go with a nice set of slotted rotors (DBA 4000) for my C5 kit, or to run a set of inexpensive rotors. Some guys over at corvetteforum.com swear by high-end rotors...yet others insist that if you're running trackdays, the stock replacements can take the punishment. Well, I ended up going the cheaper route this time. I purchased Napa "Ultra Premium" rotors (86700, 86701, 86702, 86703). Here are a couple mock-up shots for the front and rear:

The hats of the front rotors came painted...nice. But the rears werent. So I rattled on some high temperature paint. Here's my taping of the approximate swept portion; I'm trusting that the pads will take off any excess:

Of course, it's not a car weekend without encountering some problems. I ran into an interference problem when I was mocking the passenger side rear rotor and the abutment bracket. the inboard face of the rotor scrubbed against the abutment bracket. Here's what I mean:

After many measurements with the calipers left and right, I determined that the welded flange of my axle housing is inboard by 0.07" compared with the driver side (which was fine rotor/abutment wise). After 3 hours, I had whipped up a shim to go behind the rotor:

I cut it from 16 ga. steel (0.0625"). I confirmed with a dial indicator on the rotor that runout is still ok. The result is this:

continued...
      Steven

Build in Progress

After my mono/multileaf fisaso, I finally got my Bilstein shocks installed in the rear...sure was easy:

On Sunday, my girlfriend came up for the weekend and wanted to help me work on it. I handed her the hotchkis front sway bar and said "go for it":

Haha, she's a good sport, and 2 hours later, we finally got the swaybar in...

Project Trackday is coming along nicely...tomorrow I am shipping my power steering pump back to Unisteer so they can upgrade me to a double-groove pulley. I ordered my wheels from Newstalgia...but I won't say what they are until I can post pics in 3-5 weeks. Phase 1 is almost complete!

Thanks for tuning in,
      Steven
      Steven

Build in Progress

Hey man love the car, Im in the same boat you are, 23 and tring to build a touring car, just my thread started today. I was wonder what rear brakes you are running. I was going to go for the 98-02 camaro rear brake swap. I didnt know if yours was the corvette like your front? Everythings looking great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream68
      Hey man love the car, Im in the same boat you are, 23 and tring to build a touring car, just my thread started today. I was wonder what rear brakes you are running. I was going to go for the 98-02 camaro rear brake swap. I didnt know if yours was the corvette like your front? Everythings looking great.
      Hey thanks for checking in! My front and rear brakes are the C5 corvette setup from kore3. I'm going to check out your thread now.
      Steven

Build in Progress

Have you decided on wheel and tires yet? size and style?

sorry for all the questions but does your rear brake kit have a intergraded parking brake?

looking good man..be on lookout for your wheels they told me 4-6 weeks and the got here in 3..awesome company..
      Darrin Stalnecker
      1969 Camaro Convert full pt pr
      2007 Corvette Supercharged
      1968 Camaro LS1 T56
      http://www.fquick.com/dropit69

Great job man. Looks like fun. Love the updates.

You're really moving along on this!!! Congrats on the progress
      Brad
      68 Camaro - Procharged LQ4 coming - Currie 9" narrowed, bagged, lays frame, BMW projector HID's LED tails, 18"s, lexus center console, seat warmers, A/C... Mini-tubbing in progress!!

07 BMW 750li -loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Dream68
      sorry for all the questions but does your rear brake kit have a intergraded parking brake?
      I installed the proper bracket (kore3) to run the integrated parking brake in the future, but I am not installing it until I run a manual tranmission. You can find some bracket pictures a page or 2 ago.

As for the wheels, I have ordered them, and I'll reveal once they arrive at my house I'm pretty excited.

Thanks!
      Steven

Build in Progress

Dude, I wish I could find a decent 68 because I would go in the exact same direction as you.... maybe a different motor, but other than that, your style is just like mine...

No need for all those flash parts when you just wanna drive the piss out of a 68 camaro that YOU built!

Keep up the good work man!!!
      JC Scott

Thanks guys!

I'm simultaneously running the same thread over at Lateral-g, where a red flag has been raised on whether it's acceptable to use a shim to move the rotor, or should the abutment face be machined back

Tobin at Kore3 said the following:

Steven,

We've had several customers in the past who have milled either the brackets or the PABs in order to compensate for a housing not exactly to "spec". Since we're only talking .070", I wouldn't hesitate to do either, just depending on what I had access to with respect to tools and fixturing...the PABs are a little more difficult to set up on a mill than a flat plate is.

I know you purchased the DIHPB brackets so that you could add the parking brake in the future, but keep in mind that if/when you do that you may need to cut down the lip of the internal drum in order to maintain sufficient clearance between the drum and the parking brake backing plate. Technically there should be about .010" clearance...but I wouldn't count on it.

Shimming in general is considered less than ideal in situations where you'll be removing and reinstalling parts frequently...like tires. Every time you loosen your lug nuts you're running the risk of getting brake dust, dirt, and other contaminants in between the rotor/spacer/axle interface, so the runnout you see now may well change in the future.
      I think I'll post this up in the wheels and tires section as well.
      Steven

Build in Progress

All I have to say is nice work on getting your lady to help out!! Mine loves the car but really doesn't want to be involved in what it takes to put it together.

Couldn't pass up this deal!

Thanks Phillip!

Today I found a deal on craigslist that was too good to pass up, a TKO transmission with the 0.64 5th gear:

This is not actually the TKO500 or TKO600, but their predecessor, simply the TKO. I got a bit swindled by the guy I bought it from since he advertised it as a TKO600 and I didn't know any better. The only differences between the TKO and the TKO500/600 are the material of the gears, which was upgraded with the TKO500/600,and the bolt pattern of the shifter, which is rectangular for the TKO500/600. My transmission supports 425ft.lbs.

Here's some reading in case you are in the market for a used TKO

3550/TKO: http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/3550_tko.html
      TKO500/600: http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/tr-3550.html

Also look at the service manuals on Tremecs website to decode what transmission it is. This is how I got burned.
      The serial tag on my tranny is:
      TR3550 #2600708

Input Shaft Length: 7.2"
      Bearing Retainer Diameter: 4.85"

To make the transmission compatible, I'm gunna ditch the shown bellhousing and go with a Lakewood bellhousing (#15030) or Quicktime (#RM-6064) that adapts the TKO to the chevy small block.

I found another thread on camaros.net where a guy did the exact swap with the Ford 7.2" input shaft:
      http://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...light=ford+tko

I emailed him since and he said all went well when he used a Ford throwout bearing.

Maybe in by winter!!
      Steven

Build in Progress

You got to be kidding me!
      That is so awesome.

Sweet car. You are doing a great job of showing how you install parts and making good progress.

Tyler

Wow nice work, keep the progress pics coming

Thanks you guys. I live about an hour away from my car, so each weekend that I have to work on it, I really try to make it count. I have a tendency to rush and get frustrated. But taking pictures and documenting my buildup is like therapy; it really helps me slow down, stay calm, and reset every once in a while. Taking good pictures and providing these writeups is also beneficial from a feedback standpoint, by making sure I get called out on my 1st timer mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by TitoJones
      Sweet car. You are doing a great job of showing how you install parts and making good progress.

Tyler
      Couldn't have done it without ATS! That Lee box is going in soon...
      Steven

Build in Progress

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com