Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Mounting the Computer

Need some ideas on mounting the computer for my LS1. I have a Speartech Harness, a Vintage Air set-up with the Detroit Speed Bracket, and the diagnostic port will be mounted in the ash-tray. I've done a search and found a couple of ideas like on top of the tranny tunnell, beside the A/C unit, in the glove box, or somewhere in the engine compartment. I'd like to find something to help clean up the wiring but still be relatively accessible.
      Robert's 1969 Camaro - 2002 LS1/T56, 10pt cage, Global West Stage III front suspension, HTH truck arm rear suspension, Sprint Cup 9" full-floating rear end, Fikse Mach V 17" up front 18" in the back and still working on it...

s-10 bracket

I think I posted how I did this in the past. I used a factory tray/bracket from an S-10 computer. I would take your computer
      down to the dealer and ask them to show you a late model S-10
      bracket. The computer snaps into it perfectly. I mounted this bracket under the dash just above the the gas pedal. The curvature of the metal under the dash fit the bracket just right.

My wiring harness is also from Speartech. Hopefully John made your harness long enough. If you're interested I can describe how I made the custom panel that covers the blower motor hole behind the passenger fender do I could route the Speartech harness thru.
      I applied a nice piece of welting with an integrated rubber hose for a waterproof seal between the panel and the hole.

I had John at Speartech add some feet to the harness so I could mount the ECU under the passenger seat.

Are there any heat related considerations for mounting the computer?

Does an OE type computer have different requirements in this regard than say one of the offerings from FAST or Bigstuff?
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

If you don't mind, that's another idea we could look at. Thanks.
      Robert's 1969 Camaro - 2002 LS1/T56, 10pt cage, Global West Stage III front suspension, HTH truck arm rear suspension, Sprint Cup 9" full-floating rear end, Fikse Mach V 17" up front 18" in the back and still working on it...

ECM location

John also "added some feet" when he made my harness. I didn't specify how much, but it worked out just right. As for the heat considerations ... the ECM stock location is under the hood. I'm sure it's much better inside.

We mount ours in the trunk. cut a channel in the dynamat about 2 inches wide lay the wire flat in the channel and use the seam tape over the top of the channel. most of the cars we do have a finished trunk so hidding it is a no brainer. easy access and stays nice and dry.
      Tim

i mounted mine on the fire wall behind the passenger fender. you can just see the gray connectors here, the wire harness will be into the car and the out behind the intake.
      Instagram: CamaroAJ

I also mounted mine under the dash between the gas pedal and radio. I just used four 1 1/2"? bolts,ran a nut all the way to the shoulder, then sandwiched the ecm on with another nut. I held this under the dash till I found the location I liked and tacked the head of the bolts to the dash. I had to take the computer out the other day and get it exchanged, only took a few minutes to get it out.

Steve Lenning
      69 Camaro LS7/T56
      69 Camaro SS396/350hp
      70 Camaro-just getting started
      64 Chevelle - waiting it's turn
      2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com