Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

ATS Motor mounts with ?? headers

I was wondering if the ATS LS1 motor mounts will work with other headers like the Hooker or S&P ones??

I like the idea of the ATS mounts pushing the motor rearward but dont want to spend 2K for their headers..

Thanks

oh yeah 69 Camaro!!

Country Flag: United States
      Good guestion, I'm in a similar spot with my build. I've seen some posts about Stainless Works headers. They seem very reasonable for a stainless header. Any body have experience with them?

I am also wondering about which headers for the ats mounts. I have the BRP kit and i want to go back to stock style steering. I have the Stainless Works headers for R&P and they are a really nice set of headers.

I'm using the ATS mounts and I used the S&P shortie headers and they fit GREAT.......other than the ATS headers they are the best I've seen.........and If like me your car is going to be slammed they are the ones to go with....they even give you Stainless ARP collector and header bolts.
      1968 Restomod FireBird • Twin Borg Warner EFR Turbocharged LS3 • T56 Magnum • Ford 9”• Modern Sub-Frame & Suspension • C7 Seats • 24 Pistons • Forgelines

Used hooker LS1 swap longtubes in mine. There was a thread on this not long ago.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=27431

Tried the stainless works on mine, but they hit the steering box. The Hookers barely touch it.
      Jeff

I used Hooker plates, ATS mounts and Hooker Super Comp Headers with my 69 Camaro LS7. Still had to reposition the hat mounts for a perfect fit. Clearered the steering box and everything else; no dimples.

Quote Originally Posted by ss dave
      I used Hooker plates, ATS mounts and Hooker Super Comp Headers with my 69 Camaro LS7. Still had to reposition the hat mounts for a perfect fit. Clearered the steering box and everything else; no dimples.
      The way I understood it, If you just buy the entire ATS kit (mounts and plates) the Hooker Headers will fit right in with perhaps a minimal amount of massaging. Or am I mistaken?
      1968 Pro-Touring Camaro LS1

Project: Next Year
      - Start date; June '01
      - Completion; Sometime next year or the year after.....

Aren't the mounts just a standard SBC mount, but flipped depending upon application?

From everything I've heard the Hooker plates put the engine too far back. I'd really like to see some pics showing the box clearance and firewall placement.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

We moved the mount hats approximately 1/2" forward and 1/2" down, it brought the engine off the firewall by approximately 1"- 1 1/2", otherwise that combo put the engine almost on the firewall. I tried S&P's set-up and ATS set-up. The final set-up of Hooker plates and ATS mounts made the headers fit perfectly, cleared everything without issues and set the engine in perfect alignment with the tranny. The steering box is a DSE 600, I don't know if that will make any difference, since it appears very similar to the Chevy quick-ratio(Z/28) box I had before. We couldn't get any of the three above mentioned set-ups to work perfectly and not massage the headers and/or put the engine on the firewall, the only way it worked was to move the hat mounts, then like magic they fit. Your experience may be different. ATS has a nice product-looks good and well built, that was my first choice, and ultimately I used Tyler's(ATS) mounts. Be prepared to experiment, at one time I had all three set-ups in the shop.

Dave,

Thanks for the responses.

Since I'm a bit new to this LS1 swap business, I'd like to clarify a few things.

1) You used the hooder steel adapter plates but re-drilled the holes to move the engine approximately 1/2" forward and the engine 1/2" up. Hence this required drilling new holes approximately 1/2" farther forward and 1/2" down in relation to the as-supplied holes.

2) In what orientation are the flexible engine mounts used?

3) Measuring the aft flat vertical surface of either head, what is the distance from this surface to the firewall? I have more than the average clearance problems and is a serious consideration for me.

4) How low do the headers fit in relation to the subframe?

Dave, I'm going to owe you a beer when we're done here!

I'll take you up on that Carl. Hooker plates with ATS mounts. The mount hats are what the ATS mounts attach to. The hats are the brackets that attach to the subframe. We drilled new mounting holes for the hats. I took pics of the new holes, headers and clearances. Unfortunately I am out of town, away from the camera or I would post the pics. Headers fit everything perfect! I'll try to post pics on Monday. The wet sump LS7 is out of the engine bay so we can paint the subframe and clean up the bay.

Dave,

Thanks a bunch. Pics would be great. No rush.

I'm sure plenty of us are eager to see the pics, Thanks Dave!

No problem, I'll get to my camera tomorrow afternoon and post some pics of the subframe holes for reference. You may get by without drilling into the subframe, I believe quite a few have, but when we did this everything fit. The engine sits well in the bay and everything aligns. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get traction in first gear, got a built 4l60e, Compushift controller and a 3.73. The tires roast until the limiter hits, supposedly goes thru 1st and 2nd gear to the limiter. Real tough on the Nittos, but you know what-it's kind of a fun problem to figure out!

Thanks for the info, Dave. That's good to know. Use the ATS mounts with the Hooker plates and run Hooker headers. Worse case scenario I gotta massage the header a bit. Not interested in drilling new holes for my hats.

By the way....what do you got for hardware in that LS1? Is it stock or was it upgraded some?
      1968 Pro-Touring Camaro LS1

Project: Next Year
      - Start date; June '01
      - Completion; Sometime next year or the year after.....

Well, it is a wet sump LS7. 7.0L GM block, cleaned up LS7 intake, ported LS7 heads with upgraded valve assemblies, 90mm TB, Wiseco pistons, Callies rods, Eagle crank with 58 tooth wheel, Camotion cam, Speartech harness allows me to use stock throttle-by-wire stuff. A Canton oil pan and GM HV oil pump makes it a wet LS7. In the pics you will see where we notched the subframe for the pan. I went with a wet set-up to keep from using a separate oil tank for simplicity.

Got pics of the subframe and tried to attach but the file is to large. The pics are directly from my camera. My bro helped me with this problem in the past so I'll talk with him in am and post em. If you have a suggestion let me know. Sorry
      Thanks Dave

Quote Originally Posted by trapin
      Thanks for the info, Dave. That's good to know. Use the ATS mounts with the Hooker plates and run Hooker headers. Worse case scenario I gotta massage the header a bit. Not interested in drilling new holes for my hats.

By the way....what do you got for hardware in that LS1? Is it stock or was it upgraded some?
      What are you referring to when you say mounts? Just a standard SBC engine mount??? I was under the impression that the only thing needed were the adapter plates. If you're talking about the SBC mounts, then I'll stick with my solid ones.

Matt

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com