Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Wheel Studs Question

This may be a bit basic, but does anyone know how to put wheel studs into the axle flanges when the axles are installed in the rear end already? I've got an 8 3/4 mopar clutch style rear end. I'm just not sure how to get the new studs in there because I can't get a hammer in there and I don't want to over torque them pulling them in with the wheel nuts. Thanks in advance.

First off...I believe the mopar rearends have axles that you merely unbolt the retainers from the access hole, if you don't mind pulling the axles (it's much easier than c-clip types).

Or, what I have done, is put the stud in from behind, add either a nice thick, steel spacer or a stack of flat washers (not lock/split or star washers), a good lugnut (that will probably need to be disposed of afterwards) and an impact wrench.

The nut will pull the stud through, but it is not the preferred method. I have done it a few times, and it's always worked, but again it is not the preferred method as it does stretch the stud to an unknown amount, and works the threads as well.

Thanks for the reply. We just tried pulling them through with a nut and an impact. Stripped a crappy nut and then busted the stud with a good one. I guess those axles will have to come out. Hopefully they cooperate. Is there anything tricky about it or is it pretty straight forward. I have a service manual and a buddy is helping me out who has done it before. I'll let you know how it goes.

I have always used this method. I also use a lot of grease or anti-seize on the threads and washers. Never had 1 snap or strip.

Maybe one day I'll buy a press...

Country Flag: United States
      The trick to using a nut to pull it through is a long nut (think open ended Cragar style) to disperse the load as evenly across as many threads as possible. Also, use 2 washers (and maybe some lube) between the nut and flange to reduce friction at the load point.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

There are only 5 nuts holding the bearing retainer on, take em off and pull the axle out, press the studs in. Problem solved.

On some rare occassions you need to use an axle puller (think slide hammer) to get the axle out, but I've never needed it myself.

5 nuts...remember, Mopar's have left hand threads on the driver's side lugnuts (usually)!!!

Yeah, the left and right hand thread is what I'm trying to get away from. I have only one wheel with the wrong thread remaining, and that should be done by friday.

The bearing retainers are always right hand thread. It is only the lug nuts that are left hand.

Thanks for all the replies there guys. (wow, rhymes). Anyway, I pulled the axles out WITH JUST MY BARE HANDS (0 miles on rebuilt rearend so they popped out super easy haha) and took them to a local hydraulic shop. 150 ton press made short work of them and we popped them in tonight. It was kind of getting down to the wire too. I needed to be able to throw the back tires on for this sunday because monday the car is going to a shop to have subframe connectors welded in. It just seemed like all different ways that guys used to put them in wouldn't work for me, so I'm glad they're in now. Thanks again.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com