Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Oil sump on LSx engines

Where are the oil sumps located on the various LS-architecture engines? I'm a little confused by what I'm finding online since most of the pics I have found don't quite show me enough to be sure, or they are bare pans. Looks like at least some of the chassis are using a front sump pan which isn't going to work on most cars that used earlier Chevrolet engines. Am I right on this?

Country Flag: United States
      CTSV and GTO are the two I know that use front sump. The trucks, vettes, and Fbodies all use rear sump.
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

Thanks, that's the best possible answer for me. I'm hoping to put a truck engine into a '57 Chevy. I know the truck pan is deeper but the tri 5s have a lot of height through the firewall. They also have rear steer and an enormous front crossmember that would be incompatible with a front sump.

Just make sure you use the correct pick up with whatever pan you choose. Fbody pan is like 2 inches shallower than the truck pan.
      Trey

~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

Quote Originally Posted by WS6
      CTSV and GTO are the two I know that use front sump. The trucks, vettes, and Fbodies all use rear sump.
      I thought the CTS-V was a rear sump since guys were using them in chevelles.

remember that whatever pan you use you will also need the matrching oil pickup, windage tray, and dipstick and tube

Thanks for the reminder on tray, pickup, and other hardware. Hoping to use the stock hardware that comes with the 5.3L truck motor. It's my understanding the crossmember needs to be notched & boxed to do that but the crossmember is plenty big & to my thinking that sounds like less trouble & expense than reworking the pan etc. Plus I plan to put an X member in the middle of the frame to stiffen things up.

Quote Originally Posted by pist0lpete
      I thought the CTS-V was a rear sump since guys were using them in chevelles.

oh hell. did i get this wrong too? i'm really scrwwing up this week if i did
      Trey

~ Jon Hammond

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com