Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

g body front suspension ?'s

has any one tried to use the 68-74 nove front lower controls arms for the improved handling?

One person who can really help you on the g-bodies is Marcus @ SC&C
      (www.scandc.com) He posts here as Marcus and his suspension knowledge is invaluable especially when it comes to the g-bodies.
      -Keith

zefhix
      There is nothing more common than unsuccessful men with talent-

Quote Originally Posted by gen3bu
      has any one tried to use the 68-74 nove front lower controls arms for the improved handling?
      Will they even fit? How would it improve handling?

I have 3rd-gen F-body lower A-arms on my '88 Monte SS. Once the steering stops are ground down, they work perfectly. 2wd S10 lower arms will also fit, but all have the same basic geometry as the stock G-body arms. There's no real advantage with any of them.
      Steve Ragusa - North Jersey
      2006 Infiniti G35x
      Former Build - 1988 Monte Carlo SS - ZZ4-cammed TPI 355, F-body serpentine conversion, World-Class 5-speed, Eibachs/Bilsteins, Howe tall LBJs, 34mm hollow front swaybar, 3/4" straight rear bar, 17" Coys C55s, 12" front discs, and more. Sold on 2/28/11.

Quote Originally Posted by tpi monte ss
      Will they even fit? How would it improve handling?

I have 3rd-gen F-body lower A-arms on my '88 Monte SS. Once the steering stops are ground down, they work perfectly. 2wd S10 lower arms will also fit, but all have the same basic geometry as the stock G-body arms. There's no real advantage with any of them.

very true. all g-body, 2wd s-trucks, and third gens are the same.
      i saw on o web site that was selling them as a performance suspension part to improve turning camber and loading camber in turns and it also pushes the lower ball joint further away for a better ride - i think, i am trying to find it again and i will post the link.

Quote Originally Posted by gen3bu
      i saw on o web site that was selling them as a performance suspension part to improve turning camber and loading camber in turns and it also pushes the lower ball joint further away for a better ride - i think, i am trying to find it again and i will post the link.
      Excellent, please post if you find it!
      Steve Ragusa - North Jersey
      2006 Infiniti G35x
      Former Build - 1988 Monte Carlo SS - ZZ4-cammed TPI 355, F-body serpentine conversion, World-Class 5-speed, Eibachs/Bilsteins, Howe tall LBJs, 34mm hollow front swaybar, 3/4" straight rear bar, 17" Coys C55s, 12" front discs, and more. Sold on 2/28/11.

Country Flag: United States
      I`d be interested to see this too. I haven`t measured them to see if they`d fit (I never saw a reason to) but the LBJ housing sizes are different and the stud dias., heights and tapers are different. The Nova LBJs studs are shorter and thicker and won`t fit all the way through a G spindle so some kind of special LBJ would be needed. If they do fit the frame,their only "advantage" (that occurs off the top of my head) could be that they may be longer allowing the use of wheels with more backspacing and thus a better scrub radius. The tradeoff would be needing a longer UCA to keep the camber in range and a reduction in the spring and shock motion ratios which is generally a bad thing. Excellent geometry (apart from the scrub radius,which is a common issue with almost all older cars) and handling can easily be had on the G chassis without swapping LCAs. I like to keep an open mind though,a link to the Nova arms swap would be great. Marcus SC&C

I question why even mess with anything other than the stock Monte LCA? I was told by Global West before doing my swap that the best scenario was to retain my stock LCA's and stick with the B-body spindles. Aside from the front-end feeling a little stiff, I experience no more bumpsteer than stock, and the scrub radius is greatly reduced with the Impala SS wheels/45-series tires. I wouldn't mind experimenting with an adjustable center link, though-that would be interesting. Lotsa pot-holes here in Iowa, though-

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/asp...qx/product.htm

i think that is the link i saw, i am still looking

Country Flag: Canada
      Okay..
      Now I know why this thread seems familiar. Years ago I used to subscribe to Circle Track (mostly for the tech). They had an advertizer who was selling GM LCAs to widen the front track on GM based stock car frames by approx. 1.5". Thing was, this outfit wouldn't say what the arms were originally used on.
      Lengthening the LCA would increase the swing radius of the ball joint slightly, which could probably be used to an advantage.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

marcus
      would it be feasible to install the nova lca's, c5 spindles/brakes, and the pro-lite uca's?
      then just add some backspacing to the wheels?
      i have aslo considered swapping in a rack and pinion - any ideas?

Sure it`s feasible. I`ll measure both LCAs tomorrow and if there are any suprises in store. It would be nice to be able to use deeper backspacing for a better scrub radius provided there are no downsides. Do a search on the R&P swap,the short answer is you can`t do one *properly* with the existing chassis. Yes people have done it and say it`s fine but that doesn`t make it so. ;) Use a good fast ratio box with Moog HD components and you won`t miss it. IMO you`re much better off spending the money on a really outstanding set of shocks,tires etc. Marcus

I pulled an LCA off of a `69 Nova subframe yesterday and measured it next to a G body LCA. They absolutely will not interchange. They`re not even close,the frame side of the G LCAs are a full inch wider overall among other things. That got me thinking,hey folks have been doing this swap so how can this be? I called Speedway and talked to one of their circle track techs and it turns out there`s a typo on the website. The Nova arms they use for the swap are for `75-`80. They "should" be the same as `70-`81 F body as well. As soon as time permits I`ll dig through our parts stash and measure one of those to see if it alters the spring and shock motion ratios etc. Marcus SC&C

thanks for the info.
      i am straddling the fence on a r&p conversion (for the lightweight factor), and a zq8 gear box with a steering quickener p/n hre-5220 or hre 5222 from summit mounted under the dash.
      i also like the g5 kit you sell but it is a little rich for my pockets.
      thanks again
      kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus SC&C
      I pulled an LCA off of a `69 Nova subframe yesterday and measured it next to a G body LCA. They absolutely will not interchange. They`re not even close,the frame side of the G LCAs are a full inch wider overall among other things. That got me thinking,hey folks have been doing this swap so how can this be? I called Speedway and talked to one of their circle track techs and it turns out there`s a typo on the website. The Nova arms they use for the swap are for `75-`80. They "should" be the same as `70-`81 F body as well. As soon as time permits I`ll dig through our parts stash and measure one of those to see if it alters the spring and shock motion ratios etc. Marcus SC&C

any news yet?

Sorry not yet. I have too many different projects going right now and not enough of me. ;) I`ll try to get to it soon though. Marcus SC&C

how would it work to use the 70-81 f-body lowers, stock uppers and b-body spindles?

The UCAs would be too short with 1.5" longer LCAs (even with the taller spindles),the BJ plate would still be the wrong angle with taller spindles causing potential BJ bind in jounce and the steering arms would still be in the wrong location roughly doubling the stock bumpsteer. Nice try though. ;) Marcus SC&C

how about the f-body lowers, c5 spindles, and adjustable tubular uppers?

That may work,possibly well. I plan to check that configuration out...when I finally get around to it. ;) Marcus SC&C

thanks for the help!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com