Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Didn't someone make a Eaton manifold for the LS motors?

Didn't someone make a manifold so you could use the Eaton blowers off the Cobra's and such? I could'a swore it was on here that I saw that.

Country Flag: United States
      You may want to check Magnuson Products, but they likely won't sell you just a manifold. They are the only authorized Eaton aftermarket company.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Quote Originally Posted by brrymnvette
      Didn't someone make a manifold so you could use the Eaton blowers off the Cobra's and such? I could'a swore it was on here that I saw that.

I've got one on my car, but like Carl said, I doubt Magnuson is going to sell you a manifold only. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, though.

Andy

Andy, it's coming along nicely. Plus, you have the newer CF jackshaft. They are very nicely done. Looks like your kit is similar to the LS1/GTO kit. I pick mine up this week.

Did you come up with a fuel rail / coil cover option? I'm thinking of mod'ing some GTO covers.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC
      Andy, it's coming along nicely. Plus, you have the newer CF jackshaft. They are very nicely done. Looks like your kit is similar to the LS1/GTO kit. I pick mine up this week.

Did you come up with a fuel rail / coil cover option? I'm thinking of mod'ing some GTO covers.
      If/when you guys come up with that solution, could you post a pic? I think the GTO covers with a nice blower like that would look sexy.

Matt

The OEM Cobra Eaton blowers have the air inlet as part of the casting at the rear of the blower. So they would not work on an LS engine, if trying to install it the same way as the Magnuson kit with the front air intake / rear drive mechanism.

Has anyone done an Eaton blower installation on an LS engine with a rear air inlet / front belt drive? If so, the Cobra blower might be adaptable that way.

cheers
      Ed N.
      Ed Nicholson
      73 VW Super Beetle "Sports Bug"
      95 Taurus SHO 5-speed -- new open-track beater

The Magnusen used on the LS pickups and Hummers uses the front drive rear inlet. I istalled one on a Silverado 6.0.

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed
      Has anyone done an Eaton blower installation on an LS engine with a rear air inlet / front belt drive? If so, the Cobra blower might be adaptable that way.

cheers
      Ed N.

That's what I'm talking about. I've seen the manifold on ebay and I thought someone on here bought it.

Hood clearance might be a problem with a front drive. The front-inlet design allows for the most hood clearance, and there have been others running similar front-inlet setups that had to trim the underside of the hood (on 1st gen f-bodies.)

Trying to fab up some kind of manifold to make a home-grown blower work is also tough. The earlier designs that mounted the blower off the side of the engine were easier from a design standpoint since the OEM manifold power characteristics remain. Integrate the blower into the intake manifold, like the current versions, requires a significant amount of engineering to keep the low-speed/no boost torque curve.

Thanks, Carl!

I had been waiting for this damn thing since March, and it just showed up last week. The carbon fiber driveshaft was a very nice surprise when I opened the box.

I'm working on the engine cover thing. It's not really a priority, I need to concentrate on getting it running first. I am trying to trim the stock LS1 Vette covers to work, so I'll see how that works out. The fuel rails on my blower manifold are a different shape than stock, so it will not clip on properly. Hopefully I'll be able to ge them to work.

I've also been looking at GTO or LS2 covers. I think the GTO covers are cool, but they do say "GTO" on them.

Lingenfelter makes custom covers for use with the Magnachargers, but I don't think they will work for my GTO-style kit due to the location of the bypass valve.

I'd like to hear if you come up with any solution.

Andy

Here are the Lingenfelter Vette covers

There is a critical frequency problem with the steel shaft, hence the CF unit. Also required some changes to the bearing fits and retaining system. The shafts are made by the best in the business.
      The Ligenfelter covers are nice but are for a Corvette accessory drive so the drivers side is shaped to fit the alternator. Combined with the hole for the fuel line and it's hard to justify the cost. I wonder if a RH cover would fit on the LH side?

Will an LS2 cover fit on an LS1?

I've seen pics of GTO covers modified to fit and they looked pretty good, but I have not put my hands on a set. I'd paint them to match.

I don't really know if an LS2 cover will fit an LS1, but I'd imagine it would since they are very similar. I know the GTO LS1 covers can be made to work with the Magnacharger, and that is most likely what I'll try next if my Vette covers don't work out.

The Lingenfelter covers would probably need some trimming to fit right, and at that price, I could not justify it either.

I have also found some covers that just cover up the coil area and valve cover. They are smaller than the OEM plastic covers, and may work better for use with the Magnachargers. I'll try to find who makes them and maybe get some pics posted.

Andy

[quote=DarkoNova]If/when you guys come up with that solution, could you post a pic? I think the GTO covers with a nice blower like that would look sexy.

Matt[/quote

Here is my solution....
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Looking good.

The RH is almost perfect.

Will you have to trim for the bypass valve?

Like I said, sexy.

Matt

Looking good.

The RH is almost perfect.

Will you have to trim for the bypass valve?

The right side was much simpler than the left side.

Yes, I had to make some cuts to clear the bypass valve on the driver's side. The "V" in the Corvette lettering is just about gone, and I had to cut another area out to clear the linkage for the bypass valve.

Overall, I'm happy with how it looks. I might do a little more work on the left side, but there really isn't too much more I can do to it.

I'm glad the Corvette covers worked, because I really didn't want to use the GTO covers or spend close to $1K on new valve covers and coil brackets from Katech. Not that it really matters, but a Vette motor just sounds so much cooler than a GTO motor (to those who really don't know what they are looking at). Like at the last car show I put the '67 in, I could hear everyone saying "wow, it has a Corvette engine!" GTO engine just doesn't have that same ring to it.

Andy

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com