Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Don't look at the LS1 swap for just one particular thing like mileage or reliability.

Look at the swap as a completely new platform. Just to name some examples, the motor is lighter, more fuel efficient, is of superior reliability and design, has a long block that will handle over 1000 hp with a simple rod and piston swap, has the best fuel injection on the market that comes standard(not a $3000 upgrade), does not leak oil, already comes with an aluminum tall deck spread pan "Rocket block" from the factory, has heads that flow better then most ported SBC heads, has the ultimate COP ignition that supports 1500 hp stock, does not need so many upgrades to make good power, etc.

These are just a few reasons you should look into LSX and not look back. Do not look at one particular reason, look at the whole picture.

I was die hard SBC, I even had the best SBC you could buy( 427" tall deck 18 degree "street" motor) I am glad I sold it and did the upgrade to the LS1!!

It's not that hard, weld a new snout on the torque converter (+3/8"), remove the oil pan and remove 2" of the sump to fir in most cars and straighten the sump tube with a torch, take a couple hours and make some motor mounts after the motor is mocked up, hook up any fuel pump that will supply 45-60 psi of pressure, Go to napa and find new radiator hoses, hook up power to the PCM harness, bolt on some new shiny headers, and turn the key.

All in all, that is not to bad. Complete cost will be aprox $3000 complete! I spent almost $3k on just a block for my last SBC.

It all depends on what you want and your particular situation at the time.
      Twin Turbo Ls1 '71 Chevelle
      93 octane 1000 hp street car!!

What are the stock compression ratio's of the LS motors?

Kevin

Country Flag: United States
      I believe the LS1 is 10:1 and the LS6 is 10.5:1

I think the LS2 is 10.5:1 as well, but I may be mistaken.

I just got converted my '67 from a gen I/TH400 to an LS1/M6. Holy crap! That is the best thing I have ever done. I have a few thousand miles on it now and I still can't get over it. The car is my daily driver. I took a 600 mile roadtrip the morning we got it running, it performed flawlessly. I bought a used LS1/M6 (TR 224/230 cam installed) for $2600. It even came with a B&M Ripper and an Energy Suspension tranny mount. It sat for about 2 years. It fired right up and runs like a champ. I used Tyler's oil pan and crossmember, really nice pieces.
      It's really hard for me not to smile the whole time I drive it. I must look like an idiot.

Noel
      www.touring-classics.com

Country Flag: United States
      Nitrorocket, I totally agree. There's lots of reasons why I'm going to an LS block, and I've never even driven an LS-powered car. It's just the main problems with my current sbc are fixed with the lsx, so those are the main things I'm happy about (oil leakage, driveability at higher altitudes [driveability everywhere, lately, stupid piece of crap], and mileage).

It's also nice to do small changes and pick up like 500 hp. :p

Matt

You'd be crazy to do an LSX swap!!

crazy like a fox :P

Quote Originally Posted by WS6
      The camaro that Wheel 2 Wheel built was a full on race car. It when 6's. The 4th gen TA that Hardcore Racing built when low 8's and was technically a street car. BTW an LT1 built by HPE went high 8's at the same time Hardcore went low 8's.
      But they werent on pump gas 91 octane. Thats where im getting at. The procharged nova hit 8s on 91 octane.

1993 Camaro Z28
      2001 Camaro Z28
      1969 Camaro

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com