Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Micrometers?

Country Flag: United States

Micrometers?

Anyone know where to get some big ones? I checked Summit and they only go up to 2-3". That doesn't do me a lot of good when the cylinders are between 4" and 5". Jegs doesn't have them either (or they do, but their site just really sucks). I can get a discount on Snap-On tools through my school (UTI), if I remember correctly, the entire SAE set costs around $120, and I can get it for around $60, but the only way I can get the discount is if I buy some other tool(s) from their "student" catalog, and I already have plenty of screwdrivers and wrenches and things like that, so I don't see the need to buy more just to get a discount on the mics.

So basically I'm looking for a good set of mics (I'll take just a 4-5", but I figure I may as well get a set incase I ever need the rest). Any recommendations?

Thanks,
      Matt

www.use-enco.com

Big names are Starrett, Brown and Sharpe, and some others. A good Japanese brand was Mitutoyo, but unfortunately I have been out of the machine shop environment for over 10 years.

Oh, and get a set of 1-2-3 blocks, or 2-4-6, for verifying accuracies.

msc industrial supply is another option.

Thanks guys.

Matt

I like my Central mics that I got from Powerhouseproducts.com (a Comp Cams company).

Here's a couple likes that may help.

http://www.starrett.com/

http://www.mitutoyo.com/

Kevin

Thanks for the links gt1guy. Neil, that's great because I saw a few Central mics at school today and I forgot to ask the instructor about them. I'll have to check them out.

Matt

Another good place is e-bay. I've bought a few off there at a great deal. If you go to measure insides and go with telescoping gages don't buy the cheap ones go with name brand -starrett or brown and sharp you can tell a big difference.

Try McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com they have all the good brands like Mitutoyo, Starrett, Brown & Sharpe. Plus they have some very affordable economy models.

As a machinist...... I vote for Mitutoyo!
      69 "GTO".. 18" custom ET wheels with 305 nittos/Dude built 464 Injun/round port heads/turbocharged-Single 88mm hybrid/316 stainless headers & exhaust/gunmetal gray/complete LS1 f-body brake swap/12 bolt/built 400 tranny/fiberglass street frontend etc.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com