Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Shrifter questions

Ive seen the vids and this looks really really cool...

and im very interested in putting one in my car.

just got 1 question for you.

Now you can put it in auto or manual mode... and the manual is controlled by the paddels...

is it possible or does this system already have it so you can use in manual mode... either the paddle or the shifter itself?

i mean by having two possible inputs so if i didnt feel like using the paddle for whatever reason i could use the shifter. i know this is a wierd question but im just curious.

Country Flag: United States
      Not a weird question at all. And the answer is yes. With the Shrifter, the transmission has two inputs for controlling the shift solenoids. One is the paddles, the other is the traditional mechanical shift arm located on the side of the tranny. The shift arm is--of course--controlled by the floor shifter. So it's pretty much as you've described in your question.

One thing though, I can't say that I have grabbed the shift lever while in manual mode--just 'cause there never really was a need to. Once you've shifted with paddles, you may never want to use the floor shifter again. No reason why it won't work. It's just a redundant switching path. Soon as the snow breaks, I will try it.

Note that it is very easy to switch back and forth between manual and automatic modes. I have tried this approach "on-the-fly": Manual mode: Paddles; Auto Mode: Floor shifter. I've done this back and forth quite a few times. In doing so, you realize just how cumbersome a floor shifter can be compared with the paddles.

awesome... as soon as i finish my body work this winter... ill be ordering one of them up...

That's great. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Is there any way to know what gear the transmission is in in manual mode? Some kind of indicator maybe?
      James
      -1969 Camaro Sport Coupe
      -1996 Z28
      -2005 Silverado
      Webpage

hi...so how can it be wired to a car with an ls1 computer without the tci ? thanks
      Rick M.
      hMMMMMMsss....
      1969 Camaro real RS SS DSE LS3 6M TWiiN TURBO in the make!(taking forever!!)..any donations apreciated hehe

James,
      An LED is in the works. Challenge has been to come up with something that does not obstruct gauges and is not obstructed by a wide selection of steering wheels. I thinnk you will be blown away by what we have come up with. It will retrofit to existing Shrifters, so no need to wait.

Rick,
      While it is possible for you to rig a paddle shifter up to your electronic trans without an aftermarket computer, we WARN against such installations. The aftermarket computer's software has important features and failsafes. For example, without the custom software there is nothing to prevent accidental downshifts at high rates of speed.

Will the LED be a series of sequential lights, or will it actually be a numerical indicator, ie. 1,2,3,4? I'm assuming that it's going to require some kind of custom mounting too, or will it be a bolt in affair for certain models?
      James
      -1969 Camaro Sport Coupe
      -1996 Z28
      -2005 Silverado
      Webpage

Let's just say that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by streetfytr68
      Let's just say that you will be pleasantly surprised.
      Steve, I'm a big retard...I sent you an email regarding this very same subject and just now read this thread in it's entirety. I need some coffee...
      -Keith

zefhix
      There is nothing more common than unsuccessful men with talent-

Steve can you control the shirts from soft to firm? I drove my buddies m3 and you can adjust how the car shift's.
      -David

Quesion about Shrifter

This may have been answered, but I am putting an LS1with4L60E in a 78 TA. Currently,(well, the swap isn't done yet,) I have the PCM running the transmission with a full harness. I want to, at some point in time, do the shrifter. Can I hook it up to the PCM, or do I need the TCI controller, and can that run the transmission with the PCM in place. Just don't understand.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnm
      This may have been answered, but I am putting an LS1with4L60E in a 78 TA. Currently,(well, the swap isn't done yet,) I have the PCM running the transmission with a full harness. I want to, at some point in time, do the shrifter. Can I hook it up to the PCM, or do I need the TCI controller, and can that run the transmission with the PCM in place. Just don't understand.

John

John,

You'll still need the TCI unit to run the Shrifter. I'm going to be using a Big Stuff 3 to control mine, John Meaney is working on incorporating the software into his EFI system so I don't need the TCI box.

Jody

Shrifter Questions

Ok, two questions:

What do you do with the transmission control provisions in the PCM, do you have it reprogrammed and just cut the wires? Or do you just unplug all of that.

What do you want for the controller?

John

Here's a quote from Steve above:

"While it is possible for you to rig a paddle shifter up to your electronic trans without an aftermarket computer, we WARN against such installations. The aftermarket computer's software has important features and failsafes. For example, without the custom software there is nothing to prevent accidental downshifts at high rates of speed."

His unit comes with a pigtail to directly plug into the TCI controller. The TCI controller keeps all the failsafes in place. It would bypass your stock pcm controls, so I's guessing you'd disconnect the factory wiring to the trans and plug the TCI unit into the trans for controlling it. The units are in the $500-$550 range I believe.

Jody

Quote Originally Posted by johnm
      John
      John,
      Everything Jody has stated above is correct. Many people have asked if they can simply use their factory PCM rather than spend extra $$$ on a separate controller. It's certainly a reasonable question. The clearest way to answer the question is as follows:

Without a controller, All you have is an electric shifter.
      With a controller, you have a custom calibrated manu-matic.

ELECTRIC SHIFTER: If you want to rig up an electric shifter, there's no need to buy a Shrifter™. All you need is a couple of trans-brake buttons and coil cords. Dig into your transmission and splice into the wiring on your shift solenoids. That's it. But the resulting shifts will be no different than if you just yanked on your floor shifter--slushbox.

MANU-MATIC: But this is Pro-Touring. We strive to emulate super-cars. And super-cars have paddle shifters (Ferrari, Lambo, Aston Martin, BMW) and manu-matics (Porsche, and many others.)
      Manumatics are the result of two things:
      1) Electronic transmission control.
      2) More importantly, a custom calibrated map. The map is the key. Throttle position, rpm, vehicle speed, lock-up, tail-shaft speed..... These parameters and more are factored into the calibration. With the right map, you can emulate manual transmission performance and retain the convenience of an automatic

We are all building our cars differently--different platforms and different combinations of parts. Furthermore, we are all custom tailoring these cars and parts to our individual preferences.

So true manu-matic control is best achieved with a controller that allows you to map the transmission to your exact application. You DON'T need a separate controller. But trust me:

You WANT it.

Check out:
      http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com
      http://www.tciauto.com/electronics/index.htm
      http://www.compushift.com
      http://www.bigstuff3.com

James, (And others)
      I'm not letting the cat out of the bag on the gear indicator. It's easy enough to keep track of actual gear without an indicator but it will be a nice additon.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com