Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Autocross

Thought I'd bring this one back from the dead.

I run my 2001 Camaro with the ETR region in Knoxville with Terry and (sometimes) Tony B. Car runs SM due to subframe connectors and aftermarket LCAs, otherwise its a shock / spring / sway bar car on R-compounds. Motor is a stock LS1 with the exception of an air lid, cat back, and LS7 clutch.

Here are some pics from RTHIII:

Getting greedy at 411 last year:

Car looks good. I bet its a blast to drive around the cones. I love the last picture.
      Andrew Petty

The pass in the grass!

Country Flag: United States
      I think he's passing something alright, but it isn't another car.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Quote Originally Posted by 69Nova
      Car looks good. I bet its a blast to drive around the cones. I love the last picture.
      Thanks for the compliments, it is a pretty fun car to drive.
      Quote Originally Posted by Damn True
      I think he's passing something alright, but it isn't another car.
      Slick (mostly) tires + wet grass + pushing too hard makes for some interesting moments!

WooHoo, nice thread we have going here. My buddy and I have attended a few AutoX events this year and are both joining SCCA at the begining of 08'.

I also took my Apollo for a little Auto-X practice this last weekend, and boy if anyone of you with Novas know how saggy those X-Body leaf springs become after 30 years it was quite a show in the turns, the tires were deffinitly eating it in the turns but had quite a bit of fun.

After we pulled the cones up to go home you could tell exactly where the course was, all because of my Buick! My buddies car only left one set of marks from hard braking after he over shot a turn!!!
      -6Spd EFI 1980 Camaro Z28 - Street Fighter - Amongst other GM autos. Atomic Orange Z06 is next!

Here is a picture of my chevelle at my first autocross at 411 (the place where ledssleds videos were). I have autocrossed it once more at 411 right before it went to dirt. I have have since gotten 93 LX and i have to run Street Mod because of the engine mods and such. I run with the middle tennesse region SCCA at the nashville superspeedway. I am using the mustang primarily to learn to drive and hopefully will have the chevelle back out next year to try and be at least a little competitive. I always have a blast and have learned so much from the events I have attended.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

I just made this thread a sticky, so it will appear at the top of the forum section instead of just below the sticky threads. Just a heads up on it being in a different location.

David
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Cool!
      Andrew Petty

Addiction

Wow I just lost a good hour of typing to the bulletin board message gods.....that angers me, I will now abbreviate my posting:

First: Nice Nova man! Those are sweet looking cars.

Second: Here is a video of my Camaro running.....(no engine / braking / steering work has been done to the car, just suspension, differential, transmission (T56).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu5KRBqrOyY

That was only the second time I had been out and Im absolutely addicted....I have disease. The other thing I'm addicted to is COMPETITION. Which now that Im trying to join the two has brought up quite a pickle.....

Third: Question for the seasoned autocrossers / club racers out there:

What does it take to competitive in C Prepared on the national level?

Judging by what I have seen, no road going car is going to be able to compete on that level in C Prepared?

I absolutely refuse to have a car dedicated solely to racing at this point in my life....Which leads me to the unevitable requirement of selling my car (which I have already tried and isn't going so well) and buying something that can compete in Stock for awhile and been driven daily....then move along to other classes later / turn it into a club racer.....

Thanks In Advance,

Chuck Mamich

Quote Originally Posted by 2g72
      Third: Question for the seasoned autocrossers / club racers out there:

What does it take to competitive in C Prepared on the national level?

Judging by what I have seen, no road going car is going to be able to compete on that level in C Prepared?

I absolutely refuse to have a car dedicated solely to racing at this point in my life....Which leads me to the unevitable requirement of selling my car (which I have already tried and isn't going so well) and buying something that can compete in Stock for awhile and been driven daily....then move along to other classes later / turn it into a club racer.....

Thanks In Advance,

Chuck Mamich
      Hi Chuck,

It all depends on what level of competition you're going to be satisfied with. For C Prepared, it will take a specialty-build car to be competitive at the National level. The Ankeny Camaro (V6, 2600 lbs, built to the limit of the rules) was advertised for $40K in Sports Car (SCCA periodical) and I think it sold on eBay (not sure how much). And this car finished only in the TOP FIVE at Nationals.

At a Regional or local level, you can take a street car and do okay. You won't be in contention for TTOD or possibly even a Top Ten time of day but will have fun and get some good competition. Again, your expectation is what's essential to doing well and feeling comfortable about C Prepared.

CP is all about power-to-weight. The majority of these cars are tube-frame, have lightweight engines (V6 or V8), adjustable coil-over suspension, racing slicks, and have been put on a strict diet. They're not street cars. As you're not willing (nor should you be as you have a nice car) to strip your current Camaro to National CP trim, step down and run it Regionally or locally. As you're still a relative novice with Solo II, give yourself a season to become familiar with the events and different types of track surfaces. All of this becomes very important the higher up you are with level of competition. To run a nationally-competitive CP car for a season (unsponsored and all on you), you're looking at at least $3-5K a year. This includes entry fees, tires, fuel, maintenance, and trip expenses (Nationals in Topeka, KS). It doesn't include a tow vehicle nor trailer.

Now, your other question also sounds very interesting and for Stock Category competition, there's F Stock. Both the Camaro and Mustang offer each other good competition but so far the Mustang Shelby GT500 is the car to beat. The Camaro SS/Firebird WS6 aren't classed in F Stock but do well in E Street Prepared with the allowed modifications. You have some options here and all will offer a fun street car as well. Again, tires are going to be the biggest expense to keep you competitive.

Good luck and there may be another thread with more autocross/Solo II information elsewhere in the forums. I've competed my '73 RS locally and done pretty well; there are threads that give the build and fun with this car.

Cheers,
      Mary Pozzi
      mpozzi . . . '73 Camaro RS, '69 Camaro SCCA/Trans-Am vintage racer, and a 1989 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car.

"STICK, you B*TCH!!!!!!"

"It's not a horse. You can't train it!! "

Mary:

Thanks for all of the insight, its nice to at least have a clue as to what annual costs would run -- that's not really too terrible...

I am very goal orientated person...as such if I make competing in the SCCA my goal --- I must shoot for the top, even if I do only do local events for a few seasons. However, sinking time and money into a car that I know ultimately can't help achieve my ultimate goal isn't something I'm interested in.

Assuming I can sell my car for decent cash, I can buy an '08 C6 Z51 and run that in Super Stock...it seems that a lot of C5 Z06's are competitive and the new Z51 should be very close to comparable right? Looking through the rules, allowed modifications are pretty minimal which is good as I could compete right off the showroom floor, plus drive it daily as well - which is highly appealing to me.

Assuming that I am correct in my assuption that it would be competitive, I would just need to find a buyer for the Camaro....

Just out of curiousity what kind of HP numbers are those V6's putting out?

Quote Originally Posted by 2g72
      Mary:

Thanks for all of the insight, its nice to at least have a clue as to what annual costs would run -- that's not really too terrible...

I am very goal orientated person...as such if I make competing in the SCCA my goal --- I must shoot for the top, even if I do only do local events for a few seasons. However, sinking time and money into a car that I know ultimately can't help achieve my ultimate goal isn't something I'm interested in.

Assuming I can sell my car for decent cash, I can buy an '08 C6 Z51 and run that in Super Stock...it seems that a lot of C5 Z06's are competitive and the new Z51 should be very close to comparable right? Looking through the rules, allowed modifications are pretty minimal which is good as I could compete right off the showroom floor, plus drive it daily as well - which is highly appealing to me.

Assuming that I am correct in my assuption that it would be competitive, I would just need to find a buyer for the Camaro....

Just out of curiousity what kind of HP numbers are those V6's putting out?
      I've heard over 400 RWHP. The Z06 is very competitive in SS and as there's minimal mods required, sounds like a good possibility. You'll need another set of wheels and plan on at least two, more like three, sets of tires per year. The $3-5K yearly allowance also doesn't cover anything that might go wrong with the car. Many competitors tow a small utility trailer to haul extra wheels/tires, fuel, air tank, etc. in and that will also help as you won't need a truck or trailer.

The current issue of Sports Car has the Solo Nationals/Pro Solo results and class rundown. You also want to read Fast Track as it talks about which new cars will be classified where and any reclassifications for existing cars. SS can be a catch pond for anything new that's exciting and if you are spending serious coin to be competitive, you want to get the right car. There are also the Solo Forums that can provide tons of additional information.

Good luck,
      Mary Pozzi
      mpozzi . . . '73 Camaro RS, '69 Camaro SCCA/Trans-Am vintage racer, and a 1989 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car.

"STICK, you B*TCH!!!!!!"

"It's not a horse. You can't train it!! "

My 2001 Camaro SLP SS - AutoCrossing

My '65 Mustang Autocrossing in Frederick, MD, with the Capital Driving Club (CDC) - http://www.capitaldrivingclub.com/

Tim

'65 2+2
      347 - RetroTek EFI - 471 fwhp
      JBA shorty's, 2.5" tubes, Dr Gas X-pipe
      T-5 world class 5 speed, w/ .80 OD
      9" with 3.70's & T-loc
      4 wheel disc brakes
      17" Torq-Thrust D's, 225/45 & 245/45
      TCP/Global West suspension
      OpenTracker roller spring perches
      subframe connectors, Traction Masters, Panhard bar
      TCP manual rack & pinion
      power windows & power door locks w/ keyless entry

Thats a good lookin mustang.
      Andrew Petty

I love this thread... I don't even autoX and I love this thread!
      1994 Corvette

I live up in southern ohio.Does any one know of a scca club in this area?I have added alot of after market parts to my 95' camaro with the intention of auto-xing.I went to mid-ohio sports car complex and they didnt seem to have any dates for auto-xing.Any help would be appreciated,thanks
      Greg Tholen
      GT Motorsports
      Dealer for Wilwood,Baer,Viking,Moser,BMR,Earl's
      (937)763-7272

Quote Originally Posted by 796spdbu
      I live up in southern ohio.Does any one know of a scca club in this area?I have added alot of after market parts to my 95' camaro with the intention of auto-xing.I went to mid-ohio sports car complex and they didnt seem to have any dates for auto-xing.Any help would be appreciated,thanks
      Google: SCCA Ohio

First hit: http://www.ovr-scca.org/

Google: SCCA Central Division

First hit: http://www.cendiv-scca.org/
      Last edited by Damn True; 12-11-2007 at 11:38 AM.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com