Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: rear disks?

rear disks?

are rear disks worth it? i think they are but my dad thinks they arnt... how much of a differance in stopping power is there?

Country Flag: United States
      What are they going on? You will get the greatest advantage with the rear disc, not disk, is heat dissipation and repeatablitiy. Most of the braking is done with the front brakes.
      Brian

plus its much easier to change pads on rear disc's than to change out shoes on drums
      Justin, 68 Camaro Update:5 speed is in and neighbors are pissed!

its on a 66 mustang.... i know that it not only looks better but is simpler to work on and know about the cooling factor... i just wanted to know your guyses experiances with them and how much your braking power improved... whether in the seat of your pants or in numbers... thanks in advance

If given a choice between a properly working stock setup and most of the aftermarket so-called 4-wheel disk "kits", I'll take the stock stuff.

4-wheel disks can be great if they have been properly spec'ed. There's not many companies out there that can do it right. Researching and asking questions beforehand will save a lot of headaches and money in the long run.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

any recomendations carl? i was thinking baer or wilwood/globalwest
      i will be putting wilwood/global west's up front

actually, disk is a correct spelling too, according to my dictionary.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi
      actually, disk is a correct spelling too, according to my dictionary.
      haha... thanks lol

I'm in the market for some rear disc also... I was thinking about wilwood but I'd like to use the parking brake too although if its an extra chunk of change I can manage without . Thanks in adv!

My 68 Camaro that I just sold had one of the rear disc conversions done to it. I went with a new 4 wheel disc brake master/booster and the car used the GM single piston calipers all the way around. No proportioning valve needed with the 4 wheel disc master. The braking on the car was awesome! It was so good that I didn't even realize how well it stopped until I got back in my pickup and almost went through the first stop sign because I waited too late to brake. I actually have a pair of the conversion brackets($75) for the GM 10 and 12 bolt rear if anyone is interested. It mounts the GM single piston calipers and if you need a working parking brake it's suggested to use the late 80's Cadillac calipers with the built in parking brake. I'm sure there are much better setups than what my car had, but for the money it made a huge difference in braking.
      69 Z28, original JL8 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, TI, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
      70 Camaro SS396 L78 Canadian car

Stock drums can perform well, but under certain circumstances discs are just plain better. Drums don't deal with heat well and they don't like getting wet. So if the car gets driven around town often or in the rain, you should see benefits from discs.

BTW, if you're looking for an OEM quality solution that is pretty cheap, check out Ultrastang's 10.5" Lincoln Mark VII rear disc conversion for 8" & 9" Ford rearends. This is what I chose for my Mach and was able to put the whole thing together for under $300 including new rotors and rebuilt calipers. I haven't been able to put any miles on 'em yet, but I've heard good things from others that have done the conversion. Anyway, check: www.ultrastang.com

Hope this helps...

For a primarily driven street car that sees an occasional track day it's really hard to beat the price and durability of a C4 or C5 front and a 93-96 Z28 rear setup.

For the best price, that depends on your fabrication comfort level. Check out http://www.geocities.com/torkerscamaro/torker.html for how you can build essentially the Baer Track 13" setup but for less money. If you are a scrounger and can find good used parts it can be done inexpensively.

If you are looking for an all-inclusive kit I'd go for Baer Track if you can fit them in your wheel. The rears are easy, there's plenty of room for 16's, and maybe even 15's. The fronts are where it gets sticky. The 12" C4 rotor is fine for street use but will not hold up to track days. The stock rotor is just a good. But, the stock front rotor and caliper will not match well with a 93-6 Z28 rear disk. The caliper piston area ratios are way off. In this case it's better to stay with a stock engineered setup such as the JL8 describes.

If anyone can tell you about the scarry issues surrounding unbalanced brakes it's Craig Boone. His Camaro had C4 13" fronts but Ford Explorer (a very common aftermarket rear disk swap) caliper and rotor setup. Not once, but twice, he spun the car at 100 mph during a brake test. The rear brakes were too much for the fronts and a proportioning valve could not reduce the pressure enough to balance the system. He swapped to a Z28 caliper and rotor after buying new underwear.

I'm interested in hearing DarkBuddha's experience's with he Mark VII caliper. If it's the same as the late 80's T-bird caliper, I've dealt with them and did not have a good experience. The ebrakes did not work well either for a GM retrofit using a stock foot-operated pedal. They also did not hold up well to track days.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Good comments Carl... I certainly envy the prevalence of GM related info available on this board, especially the details of real experience. In fact I'm hoping more Ford folks will start to offer more experience based info which will benefit applications like kmracer's '66 Mustang. I will definitely report my experience with the Mark VII brakes when I get a good number of miles on them.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC
      For a primarily driven street car that sees an occasional track day it's really hard to beat the price and durability of a C4 or C5 front and a 93-96 Z28 rear setup.

For the best price, that depends on your fabrication comfort level. Check out http://www.geocities.com/torkerscamaro/torker.html .

Might there be a clean copy of this link? Seems that some of the formatting has been messd up, words over photos and words over words.

Thanks
      `O~O> shirtless

Quote Originally Posted by Ricoch3T
      I'm in the market for some rear disc also... I was thinking about wilwood but I'd like to use the parking brake too although if its an extra chunk of change I can manage without . Thanks in adv!
      Check out my post in this forum on the "no emergency brake" thread. It may help answer some of your questions.

T-Bird / Versailles

The 87-88 Turbo T-Bird used the Varga brand rear caliper which, SSBC uses for their budget first gen F car kit w/the ground off "Ford logo" finished in a gold zinc dichromate. No, not that great for the track but everyday, not bad.
      `O~O> shirtless

Anyone???

Quote Originally Posted by apex69
      Might there be a clean copy of this link? Seems that some of the formatting has been messd up, words over photos and words over words.

Thanks
      I figured I hit prime time and I have been on here for 5 hours now. Gotta love it!!! I'll check back Thursday.
      `O~O> shirtless

The 87-88 Turbo T-Bird used the Varga brand rear caliper which, SSBC uses for their budget first gen F car kit w/the ground off "Ford logo" finished in a gold zinc dichromate. No, not that great for the track but everyday, not bad.
      Yep... Same brakes used on Mark VII, SVO, Turbo 'bird, etc. is the same SSBC still uses for many of its kits. I was actually talking to a couple SSBC reps at HAN and mentioned I was considering one of their kits when they told me I'd just be trading across 100%, same calipers, same diameter rotors, etc... junkyard version is cheaper.

Follow up Needed

Thanks

In addition is anyone aware if there has been any follow up dimensions provided for the bracket front caliper mounting bracket mentioned in the article (http://www.geocities.com/torkerscamaro/torker.html)? Where might I find the dimensional info for this? Thanks
      `O~O> shirtless

Message Received

Carl, got the email thanks. Will look for follow up from you or John.

Patrick
      `O~O> shirtless

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com