Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Project "Cheap Trick" 1977 Monza 2+2

OK so I need to figure out a name for my 77 Monza. so here is a pic of the old yellow one and the blue one, on the trailer while I was doing the front spindle swap.

Monz-ster

Demonza

Monz-strocity

Monzilla.

I can't even come up with one good one and he's already got 4!
      Good job Venomous!
      Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Type
      Monz-ster

Demonza

Monz-strocity

Monzilla.
      Well top and bottom already taken.
      Just gotta have a good one to make it right.
      i wish someone could take some digital pics of it and do some photoshop work on it for me. Oh well maybe a friend of mine that goes to VU for commercial drawing can do some decent rendering for me.
      Keep them coming I am working on my list to post soon and progress pics.
      Lee

How about monzaratti?

Well, you're the MonzaRacer, shouldn't the car be the RacerMonza?

Failing that, how about Cheryl?

Ok so I was out surveying the rusty floor, found a lot of my project metal and some parts from other Monza.
      I also found my factory 64 Pontiac Grand Prix SD421 console I was given years ago, well I loaned the shifter out and never got it back so I have everything but a key lock so I am thinking of using it.
      Now this was one that they have a front panel that goes up to the dash and I figured the flat face would be cool for my guages and there used to be I believe either an ash tray or light that was in the top part so I fiugred I would dump the palstic under piece and repalce the Monza console with the GP piece.
      My shifter will still be my Hurst Pistol Grip Quarterstick, it will just come through the console and the lid will coverthe Park brake,,I think.
      I have also looked at the power trunk lock from my old 71Monte parts car and I believe it will work so I may have power hatch latch!
      Then comes power locks and windows too.
      More fun!
      I am thinking a lot of power accesories and getting a tag that reads MOREPWR,, but still need a name for the car besdies that piece of sh@t.
      Lee

Ok so I unbolted my drivers seat and removed it to work on the rust holw.
      so got it out, couldnt find my 4 in grinder so I used my polisher/sander wth heavy disc and my sawsall (gotta love Dewalt)to work.
      So I got out the big part of the hole and starded cleaning up and getting an idea where to start, pulled out my 16 ga project metal nad I forgot that all I have are my old Blue Point shears at home, oh well got itcuts and started trying to fit it.
      Well I have a 5 1/2 in MAC vise but no garage to go around it so it was sitting on the ground and usedthat to bend the metal some.
      Yes I am building a car without a garage.
      So I got the sheet metal very close, got 2 sides very close so I brought out the MIG. Still loaded with 035 flux core (I know not the best idea but its whats here for now and it is working)wire.
      So i started the tack and smack to fit plain metal into place.
      I have used this method for years and it works good for a guy with limited tools/garage.
      Well it starts taking shape, the metal is getting to shape and fitting better (16GA IS A BITCH TO WORK INTO SHAPE!).
      Dont get me wrong I know flux core isnt the greatest (035 size wire either,, I would prefer 023 and co2/argon)but its what I have and will put up with the cleanup ,and besides if it cleans up its going to be sealed in under thermal barrier and sound deadner too so its fine for thesmall place I repaired.
      Anyway dummy me got that in and was trying to put another section in and cut the wrong sheet ,it was some galvanized I had,,,,ooppss.
      now old welders trick is if you weld on galvanized drink milk it helps. I even had a doctor that catered to construction workers tell me the same tip.
      Well I need to find my 4 in grinder so I can do some more grinding on the rust.
      I also have 2 more rust spots on the floor ,one under the gas pedal and one on the left where the left foot would sit also up next to the kick panel. These are closer to the point where the frontend is attached to the body so I will be a lot more technical in my repair there.
      I have long held that most engineers use similar measurements and such and that they will "cut and paste" geometry and techniques alot and the more I work on cars the more I honestly believe this.
      Luckily the stock rockers on Hbodies are the starting foundation on these cars and I have been trying to cross breed parts to them.
      I found that the rear suspension points are the same measure as S10s , this is why I used an S10 rearend.
      I have been toying with laying the Monza bodies over s10 frames, and mount to the s10 frame. I am already using the spindles for the 5 lug and bigger brakes.
      I have even measured the front tie rod track width and it is VERY close.
      Bunt untill I cant use the stock construction I will wait on that.
      BUT I have toyed with the idea of installing some subframe connectors and making a mount to use the S10 springs and even make it a leaf sprung car. But with the inherint limitations of leafs i really think I can still redesign the rear suspension to a better bolt on 4 link kit.
      I am also looking at adapting the air ride Technologies springs to my car.
      I want this "kit" to be mostly bolt on. So as to make it a ready update for Hbodies, with minimum destruction to the base car.
      for the most part i want to triangulate to get rid of the factory panhardbar/mount and clear the over the axle exhaust I want to run.
      So if I make my connectors to also be the lower pickup points I will use that to attach my lower control arms. The control arms that would use stock control arm mounts would be very short, in the area of 12.5 to 13 inches.
      And its tight packaging under the back of the car make designing a "new" set of upper pickup mounts into a car that doesnt have any nor was designed for them.
      I am ,,,torn on the geometry for the upper control arms but after making some mock up mounts and getting some weld tabs from ART ill work on the pickup points. I had figured on usig the standard 12 bolt Chevelle housing angle or possibly if I can locate a Gbody diff those points. The big trick is to stop any bind as I build it and allowing for exhaust running without getting the springs hot if I can go over the axle. As I had a notion to center the gas tank under the car and make it with dual fill spouts.
      Of course I intend to use ART CoolCaps too.
      Oh and if you see my Monza its possibly gonna have 2 NOS bottles, now are BOTH my air tank or just one hahaha.
      I have sort of figured out my universal EVAP system and since I am building a pwm fuel regulator I dont think I will need any return lines.
      Lots of planning and little time or money to do it with.
      But still need a name for her.

Well how about this for a name, A friend of mine Wendy (a very cute 5 ft 2 in blonde built like a brick s___house) she aske me waht i was going to do to it and I started listing my plans (also stating I was doing it on the cheap).
      And I ask her to help think of a project name.
      So we are talking about things and she tells me she wants PT car now too. ( I think I wanna marry her, she likes cars!!!!!)
      So we have dinner and she says "I have it! The name for your car!"

OK drum roll please:
      "THE CHEAP TRICK MONZA"
      So what do we think of it?
      Project: Cheap Trick 77 Monza 2+2 /Touring Edition
      I had told her about my thoughts about making an SS clone type idea (hence she came to the conclusion Touring Edition sounded better)
      I was thinking if I use the Touring Edition of doing the "Tourning Edition in carbon fiber.
      Any thoughts?
      The possibility of NOT using the 283 right out of the box has been tossedaround as I have a standard bore 350 so I found a guy with a set of GM forged 11.5 to 1 LT pistons, the ones with the 1/8in dome from 70 LTs, and I may be ableto trade or buy for $150.
      And the engine is a hydralic roller capable block,,,sooo LT4 hot roller cam,,, and I may be able to scrounge a set of AFR 180s or AFR 195s , not sure which.
      Ok what about the name?
      Project: Cheap Trick 77 Monza 2+2 /Touring Edition

Quote Originally Posted by bigvegan
      Well, you're the MonzaRacer, shouldn't the car be the RacerMonza?

Failing that, how about Cheryl?
      "I was thinking of a much tougher name. Like Alice..."

Ya know the old Dekon Camel GT Monzas?
      How about Lee-Kon?
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Name it what ever makes you (and your friend) feel good about your project. Maybe she will work on it with you (lots of fun) I like the name Cheap Trick Monza...... Good luck on the project and Wendy.

Ron

"If at first you don't succeed Skydiving is not for you"

1970 Z28
      Scott Mock C6 Subframe, Ridetech RJoint 4 link
      LSX454
      Anvil Auto - through the build

Well one thing fixed,,,

I got the big hole in the floor fixed, well welded on top ,still need to do it underneath though.
      I still have the holes under the gas pedal and on the left where your left foot would rest to fix.
      I am also working on modifying the seats to use the swapmeet seats I bought for $10 ,,,but they are too wide for a Monza so I am taking the cushion mounts and the recliner mechanism and welding them to the cut down Monza frame/tracks.
      Still working outside so its slow going and still out in the sun,,,very hot!
      Well here are some more pics.
      Lee

Well got some more of the modifying of the Monza/swap meet seat cross breeding.
      I want reclining seats and the swapmeet ones wont fit as they are too wide.
      So I am making some of the parts fit. The reason I wanted the ones from the swapmeet as they have a hole right below the headrest and I figured the racing harness I have would work well running through there.
      I also pulled out my implement primer and put some on a rusted fender on another car, used a brush even. As some of the members are bagging on implement enamel paint jobs so I intend to use it on my Monza.
      Well more later.
      Lee

WEll got to day dreamig about working over the wheels wells, and moding lots of stuff.
      So I gotta stop and get it running or i will never get it movable and loose interest.
      Still gotta find a couple of forged 040 flapt tops for a 283 as I really like the idea of a short stroke sbc for now AND I have headers.
      I am still working out the design for the 4 link to replace the torque arm and that will gain a lot of room for exhaust.
      Heck I am still thinking of a remote turbo kit from STS.
      Still gotta figure which implement color I am going to use.
      I am still working on an idea using the 64 GP console and my Pistol Grip Quarterstick. The front plate is just too inviting to mount either guages or my radio.I am even thinking of usingthe older 90s C/K radio and a CDchanger as the head is remote fromt the tuner.
      Cheap Trick is going to be super cheap and I hope to make it turn and burn too.
      Lee

Cool project!A concept drawing would be cool!Stay after it!

I just cant find anyone good enough to draw anything up that I can afford or to do any photoshop work to tell me what wheels might look good.
      Oh well I got the S10 rearend out of my other 77 so I now have something to install and I will get some of my old 255 60s mounted as the 275s need a lot of wheel well massaging.
      I hope to trade for a 4wd diff and get lucky enough it has same 3.42 hears as I already have those speedo gears in my TH350.
      The reason I am looking at a $wd diff is that it might be wider and give me a better chance at locating a decent wheel.
      BUT after looking at the Swiss Cheeze Camaro I kind of like a lot of dish!
      and PMed Markus over at SC&C and queried about the ATS spindles for the front down the road as I already have adapters to install Gbody/S10/ZQ Blazer spindles. And I hope to have the best stopping Hbody out there.
      And I hope to get the rough proto type 4 link ready to install this weekend or next.
      Its very tight and I am trying to get it done so as to sell it to other Hbody owners and not have to hack good cars up too much..
      It just sucks as I have no way to hack off the good rear metal parts from my old 77 to save for others who need good parts.
      I am hopingto trash some crap plastic parts too as I rip out the interior to finish repairs and some simple mods and I hope to get some ideas on the mods to the 64 GP console.
      Well time to go eat.

project

Well since the weather is crappy with rain I get nothing done on my Monza.
      So I am tryingto "inventory" in my mind and on paper just what I have to reuse in this car and what I have to make/buy.

Judging from another thread how about Monza theif. Don't shoot me I'm on your side just trying a little humor

haha mikey,
      We ll folks i have a way to MAYBE get am engine together at least to be running.
      forthe most part I like my initial thoughts if using the '61 283 I have, add on some later 307 heads with bigger valves and cam it reasonable and try to figure out a turbo set up later, but I only have 6 forged pistons so far.Reaso nfor use was I have all the bearings already and I like them they can wind up real tight and still live.
      Now I do still have the 89 L98 from my truck, its na ex roller motor (I had a LT4 HOT cam in it ) and its got 250 k on it but is still std and last I saw it had no rifdge.
      Now I have a chance to pick up a set of STD 350 LT1 11.5 to ones (.125 domes) and with later heads would make around 9 to one or so and can get them for $150 or maybe trade my GM (re MSD 6T) Hearvy Duty Ignition for it or sell it to a circle burner/drag racer cheap.
      Then all I would need is a set of rings and bearings and I even still have a good use 350 cam and a cheap timing set and clean up an old stock pump and add a new screen and high preasure spring I could get it together pretty cheap too.
      The 283 on a torbo setup is kind of cool and different and I figured till it got a turbo it would get good mileage too.
      I am just having problems getting motivated without buy ing parts and I figure if it runs I might try to get it going sooner.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com