Bonneville Salt Flats
      --------------------------
      Speed Week August 11-17
      World Finals October 3-6

Country Flag: United States
      Updates Bob. Updates!
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

I know the car is at Alan's right now, getting the new frontend done. It is going to be tight, but still will be there in August.
      Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

man it's been an uphill pull with the rough side dragging..besides having to deal with an employee embezzling money, the Caddy has had to be taken to Alan's to make sure it will meet the dead line. Now if the left Coast Alan will get over here with the engine, the car part will be finished thanks to Johnson's Hot Rod Shop..Alan Johnson better known as the Gadsden Alan Johnson in particular..He just keeps on bailing me out...He's working 4 or 5 guys on it to get it finished...Rabbit just had bitten off more than he could chew..It's a bad looking piece of plunder..Alan built the whole front end out of Aluminum, built an aluminum top, reshaped the rear wheel openings in the quarters, is doing a lot of the interior aluminum work etc. That big ass Yoder Air hammer, English Wheels, Planishing hammer, Pullmax, new CNC Lathe. on and on..tons of custom tooling for all the equipment too..really speeds up the process..Alan has the best equipped shop you will find..He's tripled the size of it in the last 6 months. He has one of Andy Granateli's Sons working there now...he's a bad mo fo too...Alan's getting a great crew together now..I'm very happy for him..no harder working guys around than Alan, Foose, and Trepanier...I guess that's why they're tops in this game... imho..
      Last edited by Bob Johnson; 06-28-2007 at 06:46 PM.
      Bob "cooter" Johnson

(Disclamer: Any and all "questionable" comments made by Bob Johnson, Redneck, are to be taken as good natured Good 'ol boy humor. If I offended you, please get a sense of humor...)

I was having a little trouble figuring out what to do about the wheels for the XLR...I wanted to run 16's on the front..18's on the rear...(the selection of tires to run Bonneville isn't that extensive.) I needed a 16"X5" front wheel with a 2.750" back space...a 18"X7" rear with a 4.5 backspace. Larry Dove @ EVOD Industries in L/A..father of Shaun Dove..(Twin Sting Boyd Coddington TV Corvette) offered to whittle me the wheels from 6061 Billet at a helluva deal...He has Mike that used to work for Boyd on TV working for him doing the CNC work..I went over to BBS here near my house, got to rummaging around in some of their 3 piece wheel inventory and viola we found the correct hoop halves, and centers to make the wheels..Very strong and will absolutely do the job..put some flat covers over them and they're ready to freddie..nice and round, straight and strong..just what the doctor ordered..Bonspeed had also offered to work with me on them, but they have to be forged and no one makes any hoops that narrow in 16"..Mickey Thompson won't have the tires ready until July 15th...Bonneville is 3 weeks later...this whole deal is coming down to the wire...lot of work left to do...should have taken it to Alan's a month earlier..don't matter though...Alan will do whatever it takes to get er done..now if I can just get the motor here..
      Last edited by Bob Johnson; 06-28-2007 at 07:00 PM.
      Bob "cooter" Johnson

(Disclamer: Any and all "questionable" comments made by Bob Johnson, Redneck, are to be taken as good natured Good 'ol boy humor. If I offended you, please get a sense of humor...)

Man seems to be the story of car building these days. Always down to the wire.

Good luck Bob!
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

glad to hear you're making good progress Bob. Keep it up and get us some pics when you can.
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

Bob, thanks for checking in. Keep us posted.....and BTW, hows the ticker feeling?
      True T.

My blog

This is the type of car that should be showcased by TEAM Killeen and their Build Books!! I hope to see it run in August!
      Later - Craig

[email protected]

'70 Chevelle (in storage now, probably will never be back on its wheels again!)

Quote Originally Posted by Damn True
      Bob, thanks for checking in. Keep us posted.....and BTW, hows the ticker feeling?
      I've taken a licking, but it keeps on ticking..no thanks to my ex employee..
      Bob "cooter" Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by BADVELLE
      This is the type of car that should be showcased by TEAM Killeen and their Build Books!! I hope to see it run in August!
      It would have been a grand story had Rabbit been able to finish it himself...1 Man building a car in his garage all by himself..Rabbit is a very innovative, experienced, talented guy,...He had just bitten off more than he could chew in this time frame..He's older than I am and i'm sure he's lost a few steps...just doesn't want to admit it to himself..He's done a lot of work but there is still a lot to do...I never really believed he would be able to do it all anyway..This car hasn't been in the works but for 4 months or so..I think everyone will be impressed with the finished product...a late model car but cool nontheless..Alan and his crew always seem to get fired up over my vision..His # 1 guy Tony, really likes to work on my stuff...and I really like him to work on it too...he's a bad ass mo fo..nobody is better than him with their hands...man can do anything..plus he's smart and full of ideas too..i absolutely love working with him..
      Last edited by Bob Johnson; 06-29-2007 at 07:25 AM.
      Bob "cooter" Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Johnson
      I've taken a licking, but it keeps on ticking..no thanks to my ex employee..
      You need me to call in some zips?
      True T.

My blog

believe me he cut me worse than the heart doctor...now I know how ol Julius Caesar felt...et tu Brute...at least he didn't get me as bad as he did his last employer..got him for well over 2.5 mil..
      Last edited by Bob Johnson; 06-29-2007 at 03:39 PM.
      Bob "cooter" Johnson

I know a guy.

True T.

My blog

Quote Originally Posted by Damn True
      I know a guy.

send the guy over for him..and the girl over for me...I don't know which would make me the happiest..lol
      Bob "cooter" Johnson

anyone knowing of someone coming back toward Alabama or east of there...The Northstar Motor is supposedly going to be ready next week and be ready to bring over here...any ideas? gonna have some accompanying stuff for the dyno with it..
      Bob "cooter" Johnson

Ben Delozier from Mo might be able to help you out

Cell 417-818-0844
      E-mail [email protected]

Chris in Fla

We've got the exhaust built and we can use the stuff that's actually going to be run on the XLR on the dyno over here...I've finally convinced everyone that's the only logical way to go. We can go to Young's in Decatur Ala. and dyno the motor there...Alan Dudley who designed the fuel computer for it works out of there..so both Alan Johnsons, and Joe Granatelli can be there and Allen Dudley can be there...we can also test the stuff that's actually going to be on the car...it's going to be close...with just a little bit of luck we will make it...Thanks to Alan Johnson in Alabama..he's bailed me out again..a man really finds out who his true friends are when he needs help...We'll just crate the engine up and fly it over here..cheapest and quickest way to go..
      Bob "cooter" Johnson

Gadsden Alan calls me today and wants to know if I would like to make some money...of course you know my answer...He said to make sure the engine is getting over here in the next week..if so he'll finish the car for sure...Everyone is wanting to bet him big that the XLR will never be finished for Bonneville...They just don't know the intestinal fortitude of this young man...he'll stay up day and night to do it...unfortunately Columbus is the weekend after this weekend...We're both going I guess...Don Wallace is bringing the Cuda up..rumor is that they're going to pick the top car out of the last 10 cars of the year...They're inviting the Street machine and street rods of the year for the last 10 years or so...It would make mine and Alan's day for the Cuda to win that for the street machine..I guess i'll take my Woodie up there..put that raggedy 55 of Doug Cooper's in the trailer with it...lol
      Bob "cooter" Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Johnson
      Gadsden Alan calls me today and wants to know if I would like to make some money...of course you know my answer...He said to make sure the engine is getting over here in the next week..if so he'll finish the car for sure...Everyone is wanting to bet him big that the XLR will never be finished for Bonneville...They just don't know the intestinal fortitude of this young man...he'll stay up day and night to do it...unfortunately Columbus is the weekend after this weekend...We're both going I guess...Don Wallace is bringing the Cuda up..rumor is that they're going to pick the top car out of the last 10 cars of the year...They're inviting the Street machine and street rods of the year for the last 10 years or so...It would make mine and Alan's day for the Cuda to win that for the street machine..I guess i'll take my Woodie up there..put that raggedy 55 of Doug Cooper's in the trailer with it...lol
      You are going to show everyone your woodie?

I like ya and all Bob, but not that way.
      True T.

My blog

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com