Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is the actual HP of the LS3/480?

I've seen on the Power Block that the ERod LS3 makes 490 HP with stock exhaust manifolds, cats and an electric water pump. I'm curious as the the actual HP number for an LS3/480 engine. I'm considering either the ERod or the LS3/480. The car will be 95% daily driver (7500+ miles per year).

The one we have tested with a manual came in right at 410 at the tires, so 480 sounds right. With manual transmission we get 440 at the tires with our L92s.

Country Flag: United States
      What's the difference in an L92 & an LS3? What did the L92 come in?

Edit: Just did a search on the L92 & it says it is a 6.2L all aluminum engine:
      The 2007 Cadillac Escalade has a 6.2 L Vortec 6200 (RPO L92) (≈376 cu in) engine. It is an all-aluminum design which, while still a pushrod engine, boasts variable valve timing, a first in a mass-produced non-overhead cam V8 engine. The system adjusts both intake and exhaust timing between two settings. This engine produces 403 hp (301 kW) and 417 ft·lbf (565 N·m) in the GMC Yukon Denali/XL Denali, Sierra SLT, GMC Sierra Denali, and in the Cadillac Escalade. and makes an additional 2 ft.lb torque in the Silverado and Sierra Vortec Max pickups, and 390 hp and 419 ft·lbf (568 N·m) in the Hummer . It was also available in the Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ, with power ratings of 395 hp (295 kW) and 417 ft·lbf (565 N·m).

Applications:

* 2007+ Cadillac Escalade
      * 2009 Chevrolet Tahoe
      * 2007+ GMC Yukon Denali/Denali XL
      * 2007+ GMC Sierra Denali
      * 2008+ Hummer H2
      * 2010+ Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Vortec Max
      * 2010+ GMC Sierra 1500 Vortec Max

So Frank, what magic did you do to your L92 to get 440 to the rear wheels?
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Two differences, The L92 are VVT and also the L92 has a solid valve instead of hollow valvs. We take brand new L92 long blocks, delete the VVT and install a cam and springs package we have choosen. The cam is slightly more agrresive then the GM 480HP motor but still very conservitive. For $6400 you can get the cam card, LOL!

Thanks Frank. It sounds like the standard LS3 is better than an LS3/480 then.

cam and exhaust only LS3 C6 vettes routinely make 470+hp to the wheels through the manaul trans. They have a good sound too. Add some ported stock heads and you'll be at 500 rwhp or close easily. Fairly good torque curve too. Personally, I'd go LS3 and add a cam and get headers to fit your application. I also have zero issues buying pullouts from the salvage yards. That's me though.
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

Frank, is the 440HP L92 with a stock cam or your cam?

We are kicking the doo doo out of the GM 480HP. No, not a stock cam. That 440 is rear wheel horsepower not flywheel. Flywheel horsepower is closer to 540 with those rear wheel numbers. But since we rarely engine dyno we have to work with the RWHP 80% rule.

With a stock cam the L92s and LS3s fall in the 350 RWHP range, low 400s at the crank.

WS6 is correct, high 400 is not uncommon in a Vette but those cams doing that are pretty snotty and not my favorite for driveability especially when you said daily driver

So Frank, you selling the parts too to get rid of VVT and the cam that someone could swap into their L92?

Just to clarify: the heads are stock? Wiring harness any different?
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Yes, we have a cam and spring package and convert it to a NON VVT 3 bolt cam.

it would be less confusing if I just called it a LS3 but since we run the solid valves, it is L92 heads. That is the only difference.

How much Frank?
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

For what sir? You can get all the stuff for the conversion used for pennies, and we supply the cam and springs.

OK for the cam & springs then. Is there any particular engine the VVT delete stuff comes from, or just anyone without it uses the same parts?
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Right at $700 to the door cam and springs.

Yes, LS3 compnenets. Did You get a motor?

Haven't got a motor yet. Trying to do some planning ahead to see what I can do, what's the best price & so on. Travis (daytonayellaz) lives pretty close to me & he is always dealing with LS motors. He had an L92 that he was cleaning up to ship out soon & we were talking about it & the HP it can make & so on.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
      We are kicking the doo doo out of the GM 480HP. No, not a stock cam. That 440 is rear wheel horsepower not flywheel. Flywheel horsepower is closer to 540 with those rear wheel numbers. But since we rarely engine dyno we have to work with the RWHP 80% rule.

With a stock cam the L92s and LS3s fall in the 350 RWHP range, low 400s at the crank.

WS6 is correct, high 400 is not uncommon in a Vette but those cams doing that are pretty snotty and not my favorite for driveability especially when you said daily driver
      350 at the wheels, the Power Block engine dyno must have been extremely optimistic to get 490 at the flywheel on an erod engine. I know they can tweek the system to get higher numbers, but that is a lot of tweeking.

I've got 326 at the wheels with a slightly modified ZZ4 and it is sufficent. I'm thinking 400 at the wheels will be more than sufficient and I want to do it with a quiet exhaust (stock manifolds). Maybe a small cam and springs in the LS3 is all that is needed. Would that require retuning the GMPP computer? I've all ready have a T-56 Magnum in the car so the parasitic loss should only be 15 - 17 percent.

Ok, we are mis communicating. The stock 430HP Corvette LS3 puts right at 350 to the tires. The E Rod motors have pulled close to 500HP at the flywheel which would ne 420ish at the tires.

With a manual transmission there is no reason not to get more aggresive with the camshaft. The shaft we use is more aggressive but stll sounds forcefull but runs very smooth. We run a slightly smaller cam in our automatics simply to avoid getting into a bigger converter.

Yes, the motors we do runs on the GMPP tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Samckitt View Post
      Haven't got a motor yet. Trying to do some planning ahead to see what I can do, what's the best price & so on. Travis (daytonayellaz) lives pretty close to me & he is always dealing with LS motors. He had an L92 that he was cleaning up to ship out soon & we were talking about it & the HP it can make & so on.
      Got ya, soon as ou nail a engine let me know and I can help you with parts or tell you where to get them.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks Frank.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Old thread but for those that want to know.
      Ls3 480
      T56 magnum
      67 camaro
      Ford 9"
      Stainless works headers
      420 rwhp 391 tq

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com