Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

!!3 Stage Paint 80U HELP!!

I want to paint my nova a 3 stage paint called Red Jewel Tintcoat paint code 80U, also known as Monterey Red off of newer corvettes and cadillacs, anybody here spray a car that color?? I hear its very hard to spray?? can the parts be painted seperately? any help would be appreciated! THANKS

I've never seen a 3 stage job come out correctly painting it apart. It may be a little more forgiving being an OEM color, but if you want ir all to match I would never chance it. A few small parts would be O.K. but panel to panel match is terrible with any 3 stage I've ever come across. Either find a close color in a base clear or jamb the car and paint it all together. Also think about a small re-do later, it'll require a big blend job to fix one panel. They have great new colors now so the look can be had with just base/clear.

Yes, its not a great idea to paint it apart unless you have done a lot of 3 stage work. When you put down the first base color, say silver, that parts all fine. When you put down the 2nd color, the transparent pearl red over the silver, it it very transparent. So with each coat you add it becomes darker. Some 3 stage or candies can be as few as 3 coats, some want 4 or 5.

As youre spraying panels together, its all good, but start hanging panels seperatly, & spraying, each panel must have exact same number of coats of the mid color, same air pressure, etc. Very easy to have miss matches.

PPG hass a line called Vibrance colors, look at them, they have a candy like effect, House of colors has 2 stage colors that are very candy like as well.

Later if you get a scratch or chip, you can touch up, or do small blends, neither of which are very easy with a 3 stage or candy.

Hope the ramblingh helped ;-)

Jeff
      www.HotRodRefinishers.com

3 stage paint is for the pro's. I would not ever paint an whole car in pieces if it were a base clear metalic let alone a tri coat is impossable to spray in pieces check out the new cars. the handles bumpers and mirrors are sprayed seperate and they never match.

if you like the candy look there are many other options. but if you want to paint in pieces i would stay with a solid color. if you were to spray an metalic paint out on an panel thenl ower the air pressure 5 pound then raise 5 more that were you start. you would have three diffrent colors. then spray at 10degrees warmer ther would be 6 diffrent color and on and on.

people wonder why a paint job cost so much.............
      http://www.netbiztek.com/khqa/spns/col/col.htm
      CSI:QUINCY COLLISION SOLUTIONS INC.
      COLLISION REPAIR
      CUSTOM PAINT AND BODY

GRIFFIN PERFORMANCE AND E85 CARBERATION

FIND E85 NEAR YOU @
      http://www.e85fuel.com/index.php

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com