• Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Ram Air Setup (from old site)

whytry
      Unregistered User
      (11/5/03 5:49 pm)
      Reply Ram Air Setup
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Does anybody know of or has anybody built a ram air setup for the 1st gen Camaro - Besides the "Ram Air Box" you can buy. It is close to $300... I was looking into making something like this for my motor but unsure if anybody has had luck with something like this. From most of the profiles I have seen, nobody really has this..

gmachinz
      Unregistered User
      (11/5/03 6:54 pm)
      Reply RE:Ram Air Setup
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I have a ram-air setup on my '78 Monte Carlo that should fit your Camaro very well. I found a dual-snorkel air cleaner at a swap meet that is correct for a carburated '84-86 Camaro with the fairly rare air cleaner option. There are two versions-one with a chrome top, and one plain jane black lid. The left and right ducting hoses (GM#14083990 and #14073299) are still available from any GM dealer (mine came to $35.44) and the two radiator support mounts (GM#14070916 and #14070917) are $20.39 each. Only problem is that the pass. side has been discontinued since 1996. I still have not found that one but I found a mount from a mid 80's Malibu that will work in the mean time. The air cleaner itself (chrome version) I paid $90.00 for and it was in awesome shape!! The reason I went for this particular air cleaner is because it has a low profile design and the snorkels are angled at a way that allows me to retain factory AC hoses/bracketry, carb throttle brackets and more importantly...factory hood clearance. I could never fit the "Ram Air Box" under my hood-never. I like it because it doesn't have the gaudy "aftermarket" look and it looks cool as if it came this way factory! The mounts reach my radiator support just fine and even though your is most likely a shorter distance, the ducting is flexible enough to " shrunch-up" and still look great! I sourced a company who has 15 factory dual snorkel Camaro assemblies but they want $550.00 per set! They buy all they can find because street-rodders snatch them up all the time for their limited hood clearances as well. So, I hope this reply helps a little....the pieces can be a little tuff to find but they look great once installed!!!

whytry
      Unregistered User
      (11/7/03 6:52 pm)
      Reply Thanks
      G, you da man. THanks alot. Atleast now I have a place to start looking around at. I will be heading down to a couple local wrecking yards this weekend and then to a couple of GM only wrecking yards to see what I can find...

THX

gmachinz
      Unregistered User
      (11/8/03 12:21 pm)
      Reply while you're looking....
      If you manage to find an extra radiator mount for the pass. side, email me [email protected] and let me know how much you want for it-I still need that piece. Good luck!! -G

whytry
      Unregistered User
      (11/14/03 6:15 pm)
      Reply Sure bro
      When I find one I will pick up two and let you know..

DCx
      Unregistered User
      (11/21/03 3:42 am)
      Reply ram air
      Why not add a ram air style hood? year one sells one modeled after a 4th gen ss. The hood is $516.

Justin

gmachinz
      Unregistered User
      (11/21/03 2:01 pm)
      Reply RE:ram air
      That would be cool but, the idea is to eliminate the underhood heat entering the carb/EFI altogether and use only cooler air from areas like the cowl, upper radiator support area, etc. The SS hoods are nice but they do not include an air cleaner assembly which would totally seal off hot under hood air-or if someone does I'm not aware of it anyway. If you were to draw only cool, fresh air you would not need very big ducts and it performs better than a traditional open element breather filter-cold air is better because it is more dense than hot air.

whytry
      Unregistered User
      (11/28/03 1:28 pm)
      Reply I agree
      Well said G...

gmachinz
      Unregistered User
      (12/10/03 12:54 pm)
      Reply whytry......
      If you give me your email I'll send you a pic of my ram-air set-up so you have an idea how the routing looks. It looks tight but trust me-it fits like a glove!

whytry
      Unregistered User
      (12/15/03 2:04 pm)
      Reply Email addy
      Sure send it to [email protected]

Zee
      (12/16/03 10:00 pm)
      Reply L69 Air Cleaner
      Duh, I tossed out all of my brand new L69 hoses (84 Z28 w/305 H.O.) and ductwork when I cleaned out my garage prior to a move. I still have the dual snorkel cleaner but need to cut out the bottom and replace it with a Moroso dropped base unit which I tacked onto the bottom of the stock air cleaner. This was needed to cover the Holley 4150 (800 DP) thats on my current car.

The same guys that sell the ram air box also sell the factory ducts. It's in their accessory section.

nkopper
      (12/17/03 7:25 am)
      Reply Re: Ram air
      I made a simple but effective dual snorkel air cleaner for my '85 T/A by using a couple of early to mid '70's Quadrajet-style GM air cleaners. I got one off of a '74 Malibu that had a large rectangular inlet (2" x 5") and found another in the junk yard off of a pickup for $5. I carefully removed the inlet from the pickup assembly by breaking the spot welds, and welded it to the Mailbu air cleaner. Using the pickup lid allowed me to use a taller air filter than the car lid would have. I used heavy black flex hose from a farm supply store for the ducts. For less than $15 including paint, I had a very good set-up. It knocked about 0.2 seconds off my 1/4 mile time versus the factory aircleaner with the tiny round inlet. Unfortunately, I sold the car before I could take any pics.

gmachinz
      Unregistered User
      (12/17/03 7:23 pm)
      Reply here's mine....
      Hope this link works.....as you can see, the passenger side mount is from a mid-eighties g-body. I'm still looking for the OEM duct mount from an f-body.
      www.pro-touring.com/~anon/underhood.jpg

gmachinz
      Unregistered User
      (12/17/03 7:30 pm)
      Reply oh yeah....opps.
      www.pro-touring.com/~anon/underhood.jpg

Zee
      (12/18/03 3:04 am)
      Reply Factory ducts
      I'm not sure what you mean by factory mounts but here are the ducts. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

www.ramairbox.com/parts.html

ProPacer
      (12/18/03 11:26 am)
      Re: Ram Air Setup
      I chose a different route, rather than a "ram air" set-up forcing air in from the front, I chose to use the high pressure that builds up at the base of the windshield/cowl area to provide fresh air into my engine. I bought a used Winston Cup airbox (fabbed aluminum) from Muscle Motorsports in N.C. and had DSE hammer out a new lid. We punched the firewall with approx. 10 holes for air to come through the firewall from the cowl area, and into the airbox. Works fantastic, and looks unique.

1969 "Pro-Touring" Pace Car See it here!!

gmachinz
      Unregistered User
      (12/18/03 11:30 am)
      Reply hmmm....
      I like the RamAirBox mounts-had I known those existed, I would have routed my hoses from underneath instead. ProPacer, that's a good lookin' set-up you have! I would have problems with that on my Monte unless I wanted to eliminate the firewall cluster. I just wanted to stay as much OEM parts as possible for this build. -G

gmachinz
      Unregistered User
      (1/14/04 6:00 pm)
      Reply T/A shaker will be next...
      Originally, I was planning on using a T/A shaker scoop on my Monte but I took some measurements and discovered I had to do one of two things: either notch out the firewall section 16" wide and 3" low in the middle to clear the base (this would really interfere with my wiper motor/linkage) or move my engine forward about 4". I would go the route of setting the engine forward but then I would need to figure out the shift linkage dilema after that. On my next Monte project (thinking about an '87 SS) I will incorporate the shaker idea but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I get tired of the cowl induction hood look so I think this will be a better focal point for the car. -G

Country Flag: United States
      I am still working on my ram air setup. I recently changed carbs to a Dominator so I need to reconfigure everything now. The car sits up 2" higher on this intake and also I have to worry about the hood clearance right now. Hopefully will not be a problem. I am hoping to get the car driving before summers over to atleast see what it can do. We will see. Anybody else using a Dominator carb with Ram Air style setups? I have seen on other sites some people using the ducting from a Heating/AC vent setup and fabbing up a box and everything.

Brad
      68 Camaro - Procharged LQ4 coming - Currie 9" narrowed, bagged, lays frame, BMW projector HID's LED tails, 18"s, lexus center console, seat warmers, A/C... Mini-tubbing in progress!!

07 BMW 750li -loaded

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com