Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: 383 procharger

Country Flag: United States

383 procharger

im looking to do a 383 procharger with all the goodys but im stuck on the heads looking at AFR 195 or 210 can you give some feed back
      on the 210 where the header mounts is 1/4 " higher then stock will that be a problem for the headers and the valves are .05 higher will that be a problem for the valve cover thanks

well i dont know the specs do they have the same combustion camber size? i would go with the one with the bigger combustion camber to lower the compression ratio and allow for more boost
      "Too bad Dare to Be Different these days could mean Dare to Be Fast. What ever happened to the Cars that Scared people?" John Pearley Huffman

Bigger is better with a blower, and BTW, Got notice today, ProCharger having a price increase effective Feb 26, 2007

Sounds like an awesome project.
      Use D-cup pistons and stud everything.
      Make sure that you use a blower cam. A rollererized cam will give better results than a flat tappet and a mechanical roller will help even more.
      The raised exhaust ports shouldn't matter and tall (taller than stock) valve covers will clear w/no probs. You'll have to get the longer push rods to go w/the taller valves.

AFRs are good pieces, I've used them in the past. I'd go w/the 210 runners to get maximum flow.
      What induction system are you planning on?

Keep us updated on progress.

im going with a procharger D1SC i was going with HYD ROLLER what kind of pushrods and what size length

are you talking about the 195 Eliminator AFR's or the regular 195 Vs the regular 210's?

The new Eliminator 195's blow those old 210's out of the water....keep that in mind.

If its the old vs old, definetly go with the 210's. I used to use those heads, great quality out of the box for AFR. Standard rockers, and you wont have any issues with the exhaust ports being slightly raised.

-Carm
      '69 Firebird Twin Turbo SBC 400" Blow-through

9.80 @ 141 w/ 1.88 60-ft..... on 17's
      9.21 @ 153 w/ 1.45 60-ft..... on PUMP GAS
      8.60 @ 164 w/ 1.46 60-ft..... on RACE GAS

the new 210 heads pushrods what size

Usually a mild cam is used in a forced induction application and hydraulic roller lifters are quite heavy. Depending on the rpm of your engine, a tripple spring might be needed. Mild lift and reasonable rpm.s would probably use a dual spring set-up. You might get with AFR so they can set up the heads w/the proper valve springs.

Call Competition Cams and see what cam and rods they prefer. Also, do some research and find out what other people are using.
      The push rods? I would guess on 7/16" diameter. I've seen issues w/wimpier 3/8" rods in the past.

I see about 50 sets of SBC AFR heads go through the shop every month so I'm pretty well versed on what they all come with and how they work. AFR only makes the Eliminator heads now in 180, 195 and 210cc heads. Your best choice would be a set of the 195cc Comp package heads if you have the extra money. If not then it depends on the use of the car and how drivable you want it. I would need to know if its a daily driver or not, and what type of tranny and gears you have in the back. The 210cc Eliminators should be out very soon.

The longer valves on the 210's will not cause valve cover problems, but they only use those valves with their solid roller spring. if you want to change them over to a Hyd Roller then they will change out the valves too. They have an option to change to the Hyd Roller Bee hive spring for no extra charge which sounds like it would be good for you.

As far as guide plates: they both come with guides for 5/16 pushrods. You will need to measure the length with an adjustable pushrod when you have all of your parts. Depending on the lifters, block, and heads the length varies.

PS Sorry for any typo's i'm writing this with my gf blabing at me on the phone :P

thanks kevin the car is a summer weekend driver tko 600 and 373 gears

I have the raised port (+.200") Edelbrock E-Tec 200 Vortech-style heads, and I had to fill in the holes in the headers and redrill them .200" lower to make the header match the port opening. Every one including Hedman said they'll fit, and they WILL bolt up correctly, but they would have badly shrouded the top of the exhaust port where the flow is the strongest.

I'm running a Vortech-blown 383 as well, and it put down a first dyno of 501rwhp a couple months ago with only 7.2# of boost.

Solid roller cam 230/236 with net lift of .575"/.584" on a 112LSA makes a great street blower cam.

Jim

My Site: http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html
      Don't take a knife to a gunfight.

Half-Assed = Half-Fast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com