Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Cheap ways to fill any shop

Today I started thinking about all the diffrent tools I want in my shop but cant afford just yet. So far pulling apart my S10 I have been ok since it just nuts and bolts. But when it comes time to do some real work or fabrication I'm stuck. I want to do a bunch of things to my projects but just dont have the equipment. I was thinking there has to be a way to find a killer deal on tools for my shop. Like air compressors, diffrent grinders, welders, assorted metal fabrication tools and a ton of other things.

Anyone have any ideas on where to look for a good deal on tools? Like any internet tool forums or companies that specialize if stuff like this or any other places?
      Andrew Petty

I found my welder on e-bay and got a good deal; I have also seeen several great deals on local car club forums. They are usually situations where someone is moving and cant take thier huge compressor across country with them.
      Wayne
      1967 Camaro - Done!
      1968 Camaro - Underway

Country Flag: United States
      Craigslist for your area.. look for a shop closing down..
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

Yeah Steve I just started watching for shops closing down. I thought I found one but they opened back up under new ownership.
      Andrew Petty

Well I have an Astro Pneumatic Mig, a Craftsman compressor, a cherry picker from AZ, used engine stands, generic floor jack for 38 bucks, I got my jack stands from when my dad passed awya I was one who gave them to him so I got them back, I have thousands of dollars of tools and being a mechanic I will add my wants to my tool bill haha.
      I figured out that being a tech also helps my tool collection.
      If I listed all my tools on paper it would take for ever, but one major thing I am missing is the biggie. The garage.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/retail_stores.taf
      Check the store list to see if one is nearby...
      The large blast cabinet and parts washer I got there are the same ones you see for twice the price.

I know about harbor freight. I was just thinking about ways to find used stuff.
      Andrew Petty

Stop at local small machine shops. Most of the time they will know someone who has a older good mill. That does the job of alot of tools.
      Look for one w/digital read outs. They may also have contacts on auctions for shops going out of business.

Doug

talk to local tool dealers about techs that may be retireing
      1968 Firebird 400

I say look on Craigslist. I was looking for a compressor and found an 80 gallon Sears compressor for $400. When I got to the guys house to pick it up he also had a Lincoln Precision 175 TIG Welder, Jet metal bandsaw, Hypertherm plasma cutter, drillpress, bench grinder and various other tools and equipment that he used only a few times that he hadn't listed yet. I picked them all up for the insane low price of $2100.

watch the local auctions. theres always auctions around here for shops closing and or farmers retiring.
      the local machine shops is a good idea, ill have to use tha one.

I would say Harbor Freight or Northern tools. I have both within a few miles from my house. Just stop in those periodically and check out the sales. I have gotten a ton of good deals. But I go ahead and buy a good brand when it comes to welder.

Pawn Shops

If you really know what your looking for, try pawn shops in the area, you can usually get them pretty low and get a good bargain.
      1968 Chevrolet C10 454/400 w/3:73 Posi
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2417713

Sometimes this really pays off.
      Try checking your local mini storage. I go every couple of months to the auctions. These can be real gold mines and a really big waste of your time. The local places here have a general list of what's in the units. I have seen air compressors, welders, tools, toolboxes, cars, engine hoists,engines you name it and most likely they have sold one at one point or another.
      Here is a very small part of the list for the next one I'm going too.
      February 21, 2007 to begin at 11:00 A.M.

1) 0153 French, bikes, air tank, table

2) 0303 Raper, tv, tool chest, parts cleaner

3) 0718 Nickell, books, silverware, silk flowers

4) 0731 Regan, P. Sr. stereo equip., heater, toys
      5) 0790 Luna, trunk, compressor, engines
      6) 0934 Almond, hutch, trunk, chairs
      7) 1205 Blanton, file cabinet, boxes, file cabinet
      8) 1717 Offenhauser, bike, hand tools, hutch

Some of this stuff sells for under $20.00 you would be amazed. Some of it is junk but alot of it is pretty much brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by sscandore
      Sometimes this really pays off.
      Try checking your local mini storage. I go every couple of months to the auctions. These can be real gold mines and a really big waste of your time. The local places here have a general list of what's in the units. I have seen air compressors, welders, tools, toolboxes, cars, engine hoists,engines you name it and most likely they have sold one at one point or another.
      Here is a very small part of the list for the next one I'm going too.
      February 21, 2007 to begin at 11:00 A.M.

1) 0153 French, bikes, air tank, table

2) 0303 Raper, tv, tool chest, parts cleaner

3) 0718 Nickell, books, silverware, silk flowers

4) 0731 Regan, P. Sr. stereo equip., heater, toys

5) 0790 Luna, trunk, compressor, engines
      6) 0934 Almond, hutch, trunk, chairs
      7) 1205 Blanton, file cabinet, boxes, file cabinet
      8) 1717 Offenhauser, bike, hand tools, hutch

Some of this stuff sells for under $20.00 you would be amazed. Some of it is junk but alot of it is pretty much brand new.
      I go to these occassionally but have yet to hit a gear head gold mine since the local storage auction listings here dont give any info on whats actually being auctioned just the unit # and the name of the person whos stuff is being sold. Ive found a few pieces of really nice antique furniture that I refinished for Mrs myclone and some other odds and ends but nothing to really get excited about. I have also learned that its a waste of time as far as anything automotive when someone with a name like "Shaniqua" or something similar is the person whos stuff is on the block (granted you can get a smokin deal on leather/vinyl furniture in tiger skin print if thats what youre after LOL).
      GMC Syclone (currently wrecked thanks to the typical rubber headed VA driver not paying attention to his red stop light...oh and he didnt have insurance either)
      #614 11.9 @ 113
      New stuff finished 08/06:
      4L80E trans w/TCI PCM
      Front: J&S UCA/LCA, QA1 coil overs
      Rear: Caltracks/Belltech drop leaves
      Empire drive line alum drive shaft
      Polished 17x9 F/17x11 R ZR1s with 275s/315s
      Syclone
      Tow rig

I kinda forgot about thread. There is alot of good ideas here. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Andrew Petty

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com