Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Need wiring a CS144 alternator help

Hello guys/gals. I am a long time lurker and recently decided to sign up. I really respect your ideas and thoughts that I have been reading, therefore I decided to ask a question I just can't figure out.

I am installing a stock LT4 into my 73 camaro, this is the alternator that came with the engine
      Name:  CS144 (6)small.JPG
Views: 5911
Size:  102.1 KB
      I am about 90% sure it came with this plug
      Name:  CS144 (4)small.JPG
Views: 10947
Size:  39.1 KB
      I can not for the life of me figure out what wires do what and where they should be connected. I think (S) sees a switched 12v source, (L) is connected to a resistor (lamp), and (F) is unknown to me??

Also, I had this plug lying around, can I use it on the above alternator without any problems?? if so, does (L) wire connect to a resistor?
      Name:  CS144 (1)small.JPG
Views: 7570
Size:  31.4 KB

Please help me, I am confused, this is one of my last electrical connections before I am done!! TIA

1973 Camaro Pro-tour theme
      1985 Camaro IROC Silver TPI
      1997 LT4 #18/100 30th SS
      2002 Z7D,Brickyard 400 Festival car
      http://www.aasencamaros.com

Country Flag: United States
      Ok the S terminal all you need is about 6 inches of 14or 16 ga fuselink wire and a1/4 in eye terminal and imply solder it in and loop it over to the battery terminal on the alternator.
      The only other terminal you need is the F terminal wired up to 12 volts key on.
      If you have stock wiring you smply look up the 12 v key on to the stock alt(I believe you have to jumper it inside the regulator(some one used to do this to install the 10 SI {internal regulated}alt) The other 2 terminals are for computer control and running a tach from the alternator(ie diesel).
      I am 90 percent sure I am remembering this as right but I will check saturday and repost sat night if I am wrong.
      See the only actual difference on the CSI over SI alternators is the designation and power output. The older internal regulated alts are designated "Series Integrated" or "SI" and the newer ones are "Compact Series Integrated" or "CSI" I found the oly problem with installing a CSI 144 on a Small or Big block Chevy with older SI alts is the upper mount needs some help but all you gotta do is put a Cresent Hammer (re wrench) on the upper mount and tweak it up a slight amount and the CSI 144 fits perfect. I did have to drill out my lower hole to fit a BBC bolt in but that was nothing the AC Delco number I found to work best in mounting (alt on PS side) was a 321-411 in the AC Delco number it speced out as the larger alt for a 90 Caprice with 4.3 V6 Taxicab/Police option.
      I installed mine back in 93 after installing more stereo and it finally gave up working last summer after being on second car and many many miles.
      OH and the perfect reason for this swap is the digital regulator it only turns on when it needs to.
      Ill look for proper routing but the only 2 terninals you will use arethe S and F terminal, Remember one to battery terminal on back of alt and the other goes to 12 v key on and no resistor or anything else is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by MonzaRacer
      Ok the S terminal all you need is about 6 inches of 14or 16 ga fuselink wire and a1/4 in eye terminal and imply solder it in and loop it over to the battery terminal on the alternator.
      The only other terminal you need is the F terminal wired up to 12 volts key on.
      If you have stock wiring you smply look up the 12 v key on to the stock alt(I believe you have to jumper it inside the regulator(some one used to do this to install the 10 SI {internal regulated}alt) The other 2 terminals are for computer control and running a tach from the alternator(ie diesel).
      I am 90 percent sure I am remembering this as right but I will check saturday and repost sat night if I am wrong.
      See the only actual difference on the CSI over SI alternators is the designation and power output. The older internal regulated alts are designated "Series Integrated" or "SI" and the newer ones are "Compact Series Integrated" or "CSI" I found the oly problem with installing a CSI 144 on a Small or Big block Chevy with older SI alts is the upper mount needs some help but all you gotta do is put a Cresent Hammer (re wrench) on the upper mount and tweak it up a slight amount and the CSI 144 fits perfect. I did have to drill out my lower hole to fit a BBC bolt in but that was nothing the AC Delco number I found to work best in mounting (alt on PS side) was a 321-411 in the AC Delco number it speced out as the larger alt for a 90 Caprice with 4.3 V6 Taxicab/Police option.
      I installed mine back in 93 after installing more stereo and it finally gave up working last summer after being on second car and many many miles.
      OH and the perfect reason for this swap is the digital regulator it only turns on when it needs to.
      Ill look for proper routing but the only 2 terninals you will use arethe S and F terminal, Remember one to battery terminal on back of alt and the other goes to 12 v key on and no resistor or anything else is needed.
      OH, Thank you very much, pretty easy. So I should not use the second pictured plug (single wire harness)? why the differences between the plugs? both alternators should be the same where both plugs are from? Do I need to make sure I have the right plug for this alternator?

Your explanation makes sense to me, I will go out right now and hook it up!! Instead of using fuse link wire on the "S" wire, I am going to put an in-line fuse, I think a 30amp is plenty, don't you ?
      1997 LT4 #18/100 30th SS

Could anyone else please help me, I am not sure if I have this wiring hooked up, after reading some other archive threads, it seems to me that I should not be use the "F" terminal and the "L" needs a resistor in line. I really need this wiring completed, thanks!
      1997 LT4 #18/100 30th SS

Let's see if this works.

Quote Originally Posted by HILROD
      Let's see if this works.
      Thanks HILROD, so I am assuming that the CS130 and CS144 can be wired the same? I did follow your diagram there, wired my alternator accordingly and ran it, for the first time! All is well so far, thanks again!!
      1997 LT4 #18/100 30th SS

Country Flag: United States

wiring

Sorry I lost track of this post. do not run a fuse you need to run fuse link wire a fuse isnt safe enough and will actually harm the regulator.
      Like I said use fuse link wire all you have to do is loop it back around ,you can even tape it into the harness.
      While it will work for a while the fuse isnt proper for the install.
      Good Luck
      Lee

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com