Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I wouldnt think of using this paint through a gun on a car. Ive used implement paint many times to paint exterior doors, garage doors, sheds etc. it shoots pretty poorly.
      Ive read 60 pages of the mopar link, mostly for entertainment.
      If you go thru the time to prep the car correctly, shooting it is the best idea you can get $40/gallon auto paint in a wide variety of colors.
      I would really only try this on a beater driver/shop truck or a race car that was going to get stickered up anyway. I'd still probably shoot it in a driveway with the proper cheap paint.
      I actually encourage anyone to buy a cheap gun from harbor freight, a gallon of $30 black single stage off of ebay and start shooting some spare panels. you can learn a lot once you try it and youre only out $70 total with a gun good enough to shoot engine compartments and suspension pieces.

So far the experiment with gloss black marine enamel is working quite well. I have been able to obtain a mirror finish using a brush and using a hi-density foam roller. The paint does take a while to dry and attention must be paid to address the runs that you will inevitably have when doing this type of painting. The technique that I have had success with is to wait about 15-20 minutes after painting a coat, using a brush that is sitting in mineral spirits, go over the problem areas with a wet brush and lightly brush the entire panel with mineral spirits. This smooths out almost any imperfection and it seems to speed drying a little. I've done it several times on my 'test hood' and it works pretty good. I am inclined to agree with the 'spraying is better' crowd for a really good car or a show car, but for a daily driver this is the deal for me.

I'm trying it on the hunting truck

We use to paint race cars "Mack" truck red- it was only like $80 a gallon which is a steal for red. It does chalk on dump trucks after a few years, but who ever waxed a dump truck. On stock cars, it never mattered- the panels didn't live that long!
      1968 Camaro RS/SS, LS7 with Katech mods, T56 Magnum, C6Z06 Brakes
      1968 Camaro RS Convertible LS3/480hp/4L70E
      1962 Corvette 327-340hp stock
      1963 Corvette Split Window Coupe
      1967 Corvette L79 convertible
      2006 Corvette Z06
      2011 Corvette GS convertible

this really works

As you can see this really looks good.
      Just follow the tips given buy the mopar guys.
      the wet sanding sux but it is worth the money.

Can you paint over existing, or do you need to strip it down to primer first since it would be different than the base paint?

Follow the guidelines on the paint you choose. Several marine topside paints give fairly easy to do prep options. A good primer should work well for most of 'em.

okay my .02 this is awesome, and i caught it on moparts some time ago. not sure if i have the stones to try it, but i am debating it. on a side note duplicolor(yeah that company we all make fun of, but they must be paying some high dollar builders to use and talk about. steve stroppe comes to mind, i have seen stuff in phr i think lately also.)has a line of paint made to be used as a profesional product with mixing and spraying etc. i found it at the car parts store for $35 a gallon, any color they offered, red black white, whatevetr, $35. They had limited colors but at 35 bucks a gallon you can afford to mess up and do it over. I actually intend to paint my daily driver 5th ave" boxcar willie" with this stuff as sson as the weather breaks, then i am going to paint my f250 to make it look respectable before i bring it home to surprise the wife, with the new truck purchase.(better to ask forgiveness than to try and ask for permission, i'll take pics of the shiner she gives me) if all goes well ,well you guessed it the duster will get it also. i figure each car will be two toned for less than 2 bills each.

ok, tried the first 2 coats on a fender piece i had laying around. cleaned it, cut the rustoleum with mineral spirits, 50-50, rolled on, let stand for 15 min, then rolled it again to get off the bubbles...did the blowing on it trick (yea yea yea) let it dry. An hour later, put on second coat. Stopped there. It sat for about 6 hours and it wont rub off or scratch off with finger nail. Tomorrow, will do the first wet sand and 2 more coats. If it works, i am going to do my 68 camaro this way. I also spoke with a friend who says i should use the marine paint he used on his boat. This guy has painted a couple of hundred cars and says "yeah, you can use a roller, there is no overspray and prep is a lot less"....... here are some pics

panel

lst coat

second coat

it has a nice gloss to it, you can see your reflection in the paint. still need to wet sand and then do coats 3-6

well??? how's it' looking now?
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

looks like I found a paint option for my beaters! thanks

This is very interesting.... Clearly it looks like poo with only a coat or 2 on there but the shine looks pretty good, perhaps my Buick might recieve this treatment? So whats the huge advantage of this stuff besides being cheaper? is it more durable???
      -6Spd EFI 1980 Camaro Z28 - Street Fighter - Amongst other GM autos. Atomic Orange Z06 is next!

chdnny Guest
      s4dustin, did you get a bit further? anymore pics?

I read that post almost a year ago now, it was alot shorter back then. I tried it out on a 1990 Firebird, with thinned down Tremclad. The results were amazing, when I took the time to do it correctly, and horrible when I was in a rush.

The $60 or so I spent on it raised the selling price of the car an easy $2000, so it was more than worth it to me. One thing that should be mentioned is that it is a VERY hard paint, if you let it fully dry before sanding it is alot of work to sand it down. That said it looked great, and was far more durable than the original factory paint. Please note that this car was black, so theoretically a difficult color to paint, but it went on well, and the way the paint smooths out removes any chance of roller lines in the paint, it is quite fun to watch.

Time to revive this thread. A magazine finally did it. Check out Hot Rod. Could this be the beginning of Candy Apple Red Rustoleum?
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

I've been meaning to try this on my 79 TA, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

OK... this thread really caught my attention.
      I painted my 88 Suburban with Tremclad in the rattle cans.
      I did the factory two tone (Red and Grey)

It turned out AWSOME! I saw it driving around last year (7 years after paint job... and it still looks really good). I was stunned.

This sounds even funner!

I have pics of my buddys 73 Camaro, he painted it with Van Sickle AC Orange, his first paintjob didnt get hardened, so about 8 months later (the next spring) he reshoots it with hardener. That stuff was tough, it was super shiney and held up great till the day he traded it off for a couple of VW dunhe buggys. Bad trade.
      I intend to paint my Monza with transport yellow nad hardner, IF I can find different paint cheaper than the $19.99 a gallon and a pint of hardner for $9.99 then I'll use it but till then,,, $50 paintjobs will rock this fellas "garage" ooppss I guess I need to build one first.
      Lee

Quote Originally Posted by MonzaRacer
      yellow nad hardner
      I don't care what color it is, I'm staying away from that stuff.....

--JMarsa

Yeah!

Coats 3-6 please!

Lead.
      LEADFOOT1
      1969 Camaro Pro-Touring project SOLD!!!

NOW; as of 08-2006. Still a 1969 Camaro, BUT now a Convertible!, A 63 000 miles, 1 owner, 1 repaint in '78 that was stored inside from 1982 'till i got it car, and is now; Full custom tubbed to fit 19x8.5 and 20x13" Forgeline ZX3p wheels, w/345'-25-20's rear, C6-Z-06 brakes.
      AirBAr suspended +++

1998 Dualie Crew Cab 3500/454 Fully Loaded.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com