Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Others have thought about using boat paint. Makes sense, boats get constant sun light as well as salt water spray. In the end, it will still be all about the prep and taking your time to do it right. Rush it and it will look awful!

Shiny Side Up!
      Bill
      '72 442 "Inamorata"
      www.FQuick.com/ProTouring442

Why do termites eat houses?

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

Over 100 pages of posts on the Mopar site, Wow. I'm experimenting with gloss black marine paint. I am interested, real interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Welch
      Over 100 pages of posts on the Mopar site, Wow. I'm experimenting with gloss black marine paint. I am interested, real interested.
      Post pics and try and keep detailed records of the mix ratios, brush techniques, etc.

Thanks!

John
      '66 Chevy II - The "NEW" '69 Camaro!

***Under Construction***

Build Update Link:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=17108

Cant wait for the build up/paint up. I use the Rust stop rattle cans for many things and find it the best most durable rattle can paint Ive found. Im sure the non rattle can stuff is even better.
      Nothing says "I built this" better than tool marks and dykem blue..

Follow my 3 link build. https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=61592

Dont hold your breath waiting for pics. This is gonna take a while to get sorted out properly. I can tell you that it works though. I have finished a small spot on my old firebird hood and it polished out almost perfectly. The observation I can currently make is that patience and practice are key to making this work. Oh yeah, we don't need no stinking brushes, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Welch
      Dont hold your breath waiting for pics. This is gonna take a while to get sorted out properly. I can tell you that it works though. I have finished a small spot on my old firebird hood and it polished out almost perfectly. The observation I can currently make is that patience and practice are key to making this work. Oh yeah, we don't need no stinking brushes, I think.
      DING!!!! YIPPPPEEEE!!!! At least show us what you have so far!!!:bsjerk:

***Under Construction***

Build Update Link:

Did you see this?

Heres the scoop between Rustoleum Paint, ( made in the USA), and Tremclad Paint, made in Toronto Ontario Canada (aka Hogtown). The Rustoleum Corporation USA owns the Tremclad operation in Canada. The Tremclad paint is made in Canada in thier plant in The City of Toronto. It is a very diffferent paint than Rustoleun, both are made, sold and marketed as a rust paint, that you can use over metal wood fibreglass,wives , kids, bosses etc, sticks like!!!!!!!!! to a blanket. The resin in Tremclad is of a long oil base in chemical nature, thus does well when thinned with mineral spirits. The Tremclad company recommends you thin this paint to 10% for the purpose of spray application, usually 1 or 2 coats. The roller technique, employed by people like us was unknoun to the Tremclad chemists. But they did state, that by using the paint this way would infact create a very good bond,very hard surface and a nice finish to work with. So I believe Charger has been very ingenious in discovering this method, ( should be patented), so hats off to you Charger. Now getting back to the Rustoleum paint made and sold in the USA, it is of an arcrylic resin in its basic chemical make-up, so there is definately a difference in the 2 paints, which could be why some results in this application may vary. I hope this helps some of you guys with your questions. You will not be able to buy Tremclad in you retail stores that sell Rustoleum, but you could have Rustoleum order it for you I believe

Supposedly they are both Alkyd based paints so they are virtually the same if this is the case!

***Under Construction***

Build Update Link:

Hey guys all you got to do is go to your local farm store and look for implememnt paint. Van Sickle is one company and my buddy used it to paint his 73 Camaro race car and it looked great. first time he had no real primer except rattle can wally world. Seconfd time couple years again (to fix scratches) he used hardner(its sold in same area as paint supplies)and it makes the paint lay down great ,justremember it need time to dry ,like over night or better. The hardner does speed it up and it uses Naptha as the thining agent. My Monza will most likely have it first paint job done in this paint unless I get a good deal on fleet Paint.
      I have seen people even tint and metallic/metal flake the implememt paint.
      Im thinking of fleet yellow with a large dose of a contrasting mica(used like pearls )added and amybe even a coat of high solids clear as I have better luck with high solids holding up and taking a shine with very little buffing/prep.
      good Luck
      Lee Abel

Any idea how hard it is to remove compared to normal automotive paints?

The rustoliem isn't as durable and doesn't dry as hard. Even worse when thinned. I have tried to thin it with different things. It doesn't work very good.

thats what i heard

Country Flag: Netherlands
      a guy on corvetteforum.com did the same in the C3 section on his yellow chrome bumper vette. Do a search there, I'm pretty sure he used that rustoleum thermclad stuff also. From the pics the result looked to be very nice

Well I just laid down my first 2 coats and after 4 hours of drying it looks nice

but tomorrow I gotta wet-sand it down and see where im at...and for durablility.....it passed the fingernail test lol

Quote Originally Posted by Project69
      Well I just laid down my first 2 coats and after 4 hours of drying it looks nice

but tomorrow I gotta wet-sand it down and see where im at...and for durablility.....it passed the fingernail test lol
      Cool! What did you paint and post pics if possible.

Does anyone know how well this will hold up to brake fluid?

Im painting my 69 camaro, and i used the Rust-O-leum professional Gloss black part number 7779 i think...and ill get some pics up asap.

One thing that hurts rust o leum is the "fish oil base" it has an oil base to retard rust and corrosion, if its applied properly it will dry and hold up great but does fade some in strong sunlight. And it will peel and buckle if you get anything on it very strong.
      I would use it for frames and suspension parts/small parts but I would actually use implement paint as it can be hardened and it is designed to be used outside.
      A rust o leum rep told me it wasnt really great to use on a car body and gave me several reasons but he said they had many many letter from people who raved about using it (as i had ask about a slightly better grade of paint just for cars) on vehicles.
      anyway i like implement as its only 20 bucks a gallon and one pint of hardner will do a gallon and have paint left over after painting a 73 Camaro (my buddies was a Allis Chalmers Orange,,, looked just like Hugger orange to me) and it really shined good and held up well.
      Lee Abel

Quote Originally Posted by MonzaRacer
      One thing that hurts rust o leum is the "fish oil base" it has an oil base to retard rust and corrosion, if its applied properly it will dry and hold up great but does fade some in strong sunlight. And it will peel and buckle if you get anything on it very strong.
      I would use it for frames and suspension parts/small parts but I would actually use implement paint as it can be hardened and it is designed to be used outside.
      A rust o leum rep told me it wasnt really great to use on a car body and gave me several reasons but he said they had many many letter from people who raved about using it (as i had ask about a slightly better grade of paint just for cars) on vehicles.
      anyway i like implement as its only 20 bucks a gallon and one pint of hardner will do a gallon and have paint left over after painting a 73 Camaro (my buddies was a Allis Chalmers Orange,,, looked just like Hugger orange to me) and it really shined good and held up well.
      Lee Abel
      Great info!!! Will keep it in mind when I do mine!!!

***Under Construction***

Build Update Link:

My friend sprayed his truck with a bright yellow implament paint from farm and fleet. But it did fade, its more of a butternut yellow now.

Only plroblem is no UV protection in this paint. Will more then likely fade easily or easier then auto paint, i believe the polished finish goes away pretty fast from reading the mopar forum all the way through. The guy with the charger states many times that he polishes it every once in a while. Just a word of caution. But if your bored then would be interesting to see results.

Rennskii

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com