Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

New guy w/ a truck

I know I'll probably get beat w/ a stick but I'm here and proud of what I'm working on. So I'm open to suggestions, flames or just roll your eyes and hit the back button.
      I built a very solid 4th gen camaro a few years back that had more suspension tricks than I could ever list and it held its own on track days against Z06's and full on race cars. I'm sure I won't get to that level w/ this truck but its fun trying.
      The truck still needs a stiffer front spring and a better ratio steering box. Most of all it needs some 17/18" rims and better rubber.
      The truck makes 340 to the tires and I plan to try my luck autoXing it in the spring.
      1981 GMC originally a silver 6 cylinder 3spd
      57 Chevy Turquoise
      5" spindle/spring drop in the front w/ bilstein shocks all around
      4" shackle spring drop in the rear
      1.5" front sway bar, 3/4" rear bar
      ES poly mounts anywhere I could use them, cab, control arms, trans
      700r4 w/ lock up (hey, this thing came w/ a turbo 350)
      355 w/ forged pistons, scat crank, 11:1 compression, ported ZZ4 heads, Comp XE274 cam, Comp Magnum rockers, Vic Jr intake, 750 dbl pumper, Flowtech headers/mufflers
      12 bolt rear w/ 3.08 gears(waiting on 3.73s)
      B&M Pro-Stick floor shifter
      73 Camaro 130mph Speedo
      I upgraded the rear brakes to the heavy duty series drums but can't afford a disc conversion just yet and the fronts have stock rotors/calipers w/ PF Z rated pads, it stops as good as the new Dodge Ram I had w/ 4 wheel discs, but its still a long ways off from stopping on a dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Tealm0nsta
      ...I built a very solid 4th gen camaro a few years back that had more suspension tricks than I could ever list and it held its own on track days against Z06's and full on race cars. I'm sure I won't get to that level w/ this truck but its fun trying....
      That's all it matters. I did a track day in my '65 Buick Riviera. When I showed up at the track, people were looking at me like "what the hell is this guy thinking?" - it actually is nuts driving a 4300-lb full size car on a road course. But by the end of the day, I pulled respectable lap time (for my car) and gained some respect from a couple of fellow racers.

Looks like a fun project. Welcome to the board.
      The first step of becoming a better driver is to attend a track event, time yourself, and realize the fact you really suck.

Signed,
      A driver who laps Big Willow at 1:42.6 in a 134hp BMW - and I am still considered mediocre.

Thanks,
      I really like the Rivi. I've been looking for one for a while but any time I find one something keeps me from getting it.
      I just wanted to see how far I can take a pig of a truck on a moderate budget.

damn nice truck you got there, and dont worry your among friends. there are several of us on here that hve something other than first gen camaros, and g-bodies

to name a few, me, astroracer, myclone, blazer4corners, we all have different rides...
      DEREK
      Derek R.

newest member of www.Pro-NeverGoingToGetOutaTheF'nGarage.com and www.3800lbpaperweight.net

Project Black Sunshine: 1991 S10 Blazer 4x4, converted to AWD. Typhoon Torsion bars, borg warner 4472 transfer case, belltech bar keys...caddy lights, bravada grille, shaved everything. Full custom owner built interior
      more mods come with every dollar saved

Nice Ride... I am a "car" nut...
      ... better yet, an automotive enthusiast.

If it has a motor.... I think it is cool. Glad to see a different perspective on the Pro-Touring style.

Welcome!

Welcome to the site!! Your truck looks awesome and the mods sound great!

Thanks guys. I'm already trying to plot out some more mods to do over the next few months before power tour. This year I took my super bee hemi 2003 ram and can't wait to take something that fits the mood a little better.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com