Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

NHRA requirments for trunk mounted battery

Hey guys,
      I want to take my newly aquired '67 LS6 Camaro to the street legal drags at California Speedway in a few weeks, but am not sure if I am set to pass tech. I have not been drag racing in a few years, and am not too up to date on the rules.

My main concern is my trunk mounted battery. It is an optima red-top that is mounted in a DSE billet bracket. I read that a battery in the trunk requires a sealed box or trunk firewall. I'm not sure if having a sealed gel battery changes this requirment. Any ideas?

Also, am I required to have a kill switch at the rear of the car? This is a very nice street car that I plan to take to the track once in a while, and I really don't want to do a kill switch. I know that there are clean ways to do it (like mounting it inside the trunk with a rod exiting through a tail light housing), but it is something I'm trying to avoid.

I guess I don't see what the difference is between having the battery up front or in the trunk (from the NHRA's point of view). If the car flips over, you are not going to be able to get under the hood or in the trunk to disconnect the battery. However, only a trunk mounted battery requires a switch?

I think that this may not be a big deal since this is just a test & tune/ street legal drags, but I'd hate to get sent home because of something like this. What do you guys think?

Andy

Have you checked the NHRA website for the current rules and regulations. How fast is your car? If it's to fast, a roll cage missing will get you the boot as well. We see alot of this around St. Louis. Do you have a fuel cell in the trunk? Fuel and arcing battery + bad.
      Tony Edler
      Illumin8s
      See Illumin8s at www.illumin8s.com

'73 Dodge Challenger

Quote Originally Posted by Bigblue73
      Have you checked the NHRA website for the current rules and regulations. How fast is your car? If it's to fast, a roll cage missing will get you the boot as well. We see alot of this around St. Louis. Do you have a fuel cell in the trunk? Fuel and arcing battery + bad.

No worries about a rollcage at this time. It'll probably do no better than low 12's, with the motor the way it is right now (mildly modified 2002 Z06 LS6). A 'cage is in the plans, since I plan to put a blower and cnc'd heads on this thing and shoot for low 11's to high 10's.

No fuel cell either, the car has a nice stainless tank mounted in the stock location.

I found a link that sent me to the NHRA web site, but it was 2003 rules. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place. I'll look again.

Andy

Trunk mounted batteries only need to be in a vented box if the trunk is vented to the passenger compartment, which included carboard dividers. The separation has to be sheet metal. That's why you usually see them in a box. The other solution would be to put a sheet metal divider behind the rear seat. The kill switch is prett much a requirement.

Think of it this way, with a hood, there is either a latch or a release inside the car to get the panel open, a trunk requires a key.
      James
      -1969 Camaro Sport Coupe
      -1996 Z28
      -2005 Silverado
      Webpage

Quote Originally Posted by nancejd
      Trunk mounted batteries only need to be in a vented box if the trunk is vented to the passenger compartment, which included carboard dividers. The separation has to be sheet metal. That's why you usually see them in a box. The other solution would be to put a sheet metal divider behind the rear seat. The kill switch is prett much a requirement.

Think of it this way, with a hood, there is either a latch or a release inside the car to get the panel open, a trunk requires a key.

Thanks for the info,
      My car actually has a metal divider between the back seat and trunk. I'm not sure if it seals off the interior of the car from the trunk 100% (it covers most of the rear seatback). Hopefully this will be enough for me to avoid a sealed box. I'll try to shoot a pic of it so I can see what you guys think.

I guess having the battery in the rear makes it a little harder to access in an emergency, but the switch rule still sucks for guys that have cars like mine. I'd like to rig up something like Carl C. did on his camaro: https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...+battery+trunk

Andy

I'm pretty sure the switch needs to kill ALL power even to the alternator. They don't want anything running if you crash that could cause a spark or especially an electric fuel pump adding fuel on it.

Depends how sticky the tech guy is. I'd bet for a 12 second ride he might not even have you pop the trunk especially for a test and tune night.

Andy, some techs will over look kill switch if trunk key is in trunk and attached with wire or small cable.
      I have a kill switch but key is also wired (1/16 plastic coated cable)
      with clip on key end and eyelet w/screw on the other end attached
      (in your case) gas cap flange screw.
      This is sure handy for me,for I'm always in and out of the trunk.
      When parked in public unattended just unclip key and go.

Jerry
      Camtender,Privateer by choice

Member of Hot Rod Power Tour Long Haul Gang 03'

Winner of the 2nd annual Pro-Touring.com Run Thru The Hills drag racing event sponsored by Musclerides.com 06'

2nd in class @ Big Bend Open Road Race 07' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nti3UarUwzU

Record holder @ The Texas Mile 08' for 1st gen. camaros http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvEzlnnAB8I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L0sYaMnni4

sealed battery

I just want to check if you found any thing on the optima battery being legal in a unsealed box because i have the same setup?
      65 Impala
      01 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by nbecker
      I just want to check if you found any thing on the optima battery being legal in a unsealed box because i have the same setup?

I didn't see anything in the rules about sealed batteries being exempt from the rule. I have a metal divider between the rear seat and trunk on my car, so I don't think I need the sealed box anyways.

I still need to get a picture of my divider up here so I can get opinions on whether it's legal or not.

Andy

divider pics

Here it is.........

Dont forget , I think the NHRA rule states the battery hold down needs to fastened to or secure around the frame. Through bolting throgh the sheetmetal trunk floor doesn't cut it.

I have a 2006 rule book, I'll look and post back.

John

quoted from the rule book - "In lieu of a firewall (between trunk and pass compartment) battery may be located in a sealed .024 inch steel, .032 al. or NHRA apporved poly box. If sealed box is used in lieu of a rear firewall, box may not be used to secure battery and must be vented to outside of body. Relocated battery(s) must be fastened to frame or frame structure with a min of two 3/8 bolts. (j hooks prohibited or must have open end welded shut). Metal battery hold downs straps mandatory.

HTH-
      john

I think the penetration for your speakers could do you in at tech.
      James
      -1969 Camaro Sport Coupe
      -1996 Z28
      -2005 Silverado
      Webpage

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com