Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Progress.....69 LS1 Camaro

Getting closer.

Been VERY busy juggling a new born baby, work...the holidays...etc. etc. etc.

I bought some salvage cars and have been parting them out for extra $$$ to fund this project. Just about out of parts, so I am back on the car and ordering stuff.

Got the complete a/c system from DSE (vintage air). Got the adapter bracket from BPR for the a/c compressor. Still having to notch the frame a bit...but no worries.

The latest project has been the steering column and headers. You see, I bought a Steeroids BEFORE I knew I was going LS1. The problem is, there are no ready made first gen LS1 headers that take into consideration the Steeroids unit.

So, I got a set of 2000 non-emission Z28 headers. The passenger header fit PERFECT! The driver header is a mess. I hacked out three of the tubes. I will have a local speed shop reconnect them to clear the steering shaft.

I installed a 1981 Vette tilt/tele column. I shortened it about 2" so that the outer housing sits BEHIND my super smoothed firewall. I am now closing in the firewall so there is only about a 1" hole and bezel for just the SHAFT to clear.

Well, that's about it for now. I will upload more pics to my site eventually.
      Chris McDonald

Country Flag: United States
      Glad to hear your making progress but I must say:

;)
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
      Glad to hear your making progress but I must say:

;)
      I agree. I have to find time to rework my website so I can share some.

Time? Where has it gone!!!!!!!
      Chris McDonald

Glad to hear you're making progress!! Who is the manufacurer of the headers, and are they long tube?

I'm with Steve, post some pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph LoGrasso
      Glad to hear you're making progress!! Who is the manufacurer of the headers, and are they long tube?

I'm with Steve, post some pics!
      They are PACE SETTER long tube headers for a 2000 LS1 with NO-emissions. They were only $280 shipped to my house from

http://store.yahoo.com/streetbeatcustoms/pas702253.html

I figure by the time we move a couple tubes and I get them coated (we have a local ceramic coater), I will still have less in them than I would spend otherwise.

Chris McDonald

Country Flag: Netherlands
      Heya chris How's killer doing ;)

Thanks for the response, Chris. I appreciate it.

Does the LS1 fit in the stock motor mounts or did you take it to a shop to have something fabbed up ? I would appriciate any info you have on this topic.

Thanks
      Wayne
      1967 Camaro - Done!
      1968 Camaro - Underway

Quote Originally Posted by TA219
      Does the LS1 fit in the stock motor mounts or did you take it to a shop to have something fabbed up ? I would appriciate any info you have on this topic.

Thanks
      You can get conversion mounts from www.brphotrods.com . This allows the LS1 to slip into the camaro frame. YOu then need to either buy his front steer rack, or get your pan cut down. I had a local speed shop cut the nose of my pan for $50 and tig weld a new plate in.
      Chris McDonald

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com