Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Help with 70 Camaro Brake Pedal

My car is now a manual equipped car, I'm not converting to auto, I'm adding power brakes and just need the brake pedal from a manual trrans car that was original with power brakes. Most 2nd gen brake pedals I have seen have 2 brake rod attaching points, 1 pin and 1 hole. My pedal I have now has the pin for the master cyl push rod in the top hole (manual brakes) I'm looking for a manual trans brake pedal with the pin in the bottom hole (power brakes).

Let me know if you can help....

Regards, Alex Martindale __________________
      70 SS L78 67K Original - Sold
      70 RS Z/28 Open Road Racer
      70 RS one owner

Can you move the pin from the top hole to the lower hole? Here are pictures of my pedals if that helps. I'm not sure what year they are from because I picked them up off of e-bay.
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      1973 Camaro Type LT/RS
      http://www.apiem.com/camaro

Hey Alex,

I left a response in your thread at NastyZ28. But here it is again:

That pin is just pressed in. You can push it out & install it in the lower (power) hole. On a power brake car there is a little sheetmetal bracket that bolts to the upper hole to activate the brake light switch.

No need to hunt down a different pedal.

Shane

Amargari's pics show the stock power configuration. Hope this helps...

Thanks guys, Amargari for the pictures of your power brake pedal setup and Shane 73Z for both posts.
      What brought about this conundrum is that I'm installing C5 Z06 brakes F&R on my 70 along with a Hydro boost from Paul at Hydratech. I am on my second boost unit from Paul and the M/C push rod on both units (1-long, 1-short) are too short to reach the pedal attaching points. Paul at Hydratech has been great to work with to try and figure out this problem.
      The pics provided by Amargari showing his power pedal has the #8063 stamped into the pedal, I have 2 sets of pedals (both manual brake) 1 in the car and 1 on the shelf, both have the #5697 stamped into the pedal, which corresponds to the last 4 digits of the part# for the pedal in my GM 1970 parts book #3965697. My parts book only shows 2 brake pedals avaliable; W/ A.T. #3972201 and exc. A.T. #3965697 so where the #8063 comes from on the pedal in the pic who knows??

How about this, would some of you guys check your cars (manual trans / power brake) and let me know if the clutch and brake pedals are at the same height, and if not the difference in height. If the brake pedal is lower that would explain the sheetmetal tab used on the power brake pedal for the brake light switch. Now on my manual trans manual brake car both clutch and brake pedals are the same height and the pedal arm accuates the brake light switch.

This would help clear up allot of confusion and I'll just move the pin to the lower hole and use the pedal assy. that I have.

Thanks, Alex

If you are using a different system and booster system you may need to put the hole in a totally different spot. You might try what you have first.

The 79-81 Trans Ams with the factory 4 WD used a dual diaphragm booster. The disc/drum cars used a single booster. The 4WD used a pedal with a different location that the regular power brakes as it provided more assist. When I made the swap and at first kept the old pedal stopped great , just no "pedal feel". The Hot Rod article incorrectly said the 4WD needed more leverage. I looked at the pedals at first and saw the old one had more. It needed less, so I got the 4WD pedal.

Can anyone tell me if the "clutch and brake pedals are the same height from the floor with power brakes?

Thanks, Alex

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by TopRat
      Can anyone tell me if the "clutch and brake pedals are the same height from the floor with power brakes?

Thanks, Alex
      Pretty darn close...
      1980 Pontiac Trans Am, Chevy Big Block 468, TKO 600 Trans, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, Eaton/Motive 3:73's, 18" Coddington Junkyard Dogs, Nitto NT555 rubber, Autometers http://www.fquick.com/Bandit
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2458763

Quote Originally Posted by TopRat
      ....where the #8063 comes from on the pedal in the pic who knows??.....

Thanks, Alex
      Part number 8063 is short for 368063. That is the pedal for a 76-81 Camaro with manual transmission. Here are some more part numbers for Camaro Manual Transmission brake pedals:

70-74: 3965697
      75: 347401
      76-81: 368063
      1973 Camaro Type LT/RS

I have an automatic in my car, but when I installed the hydroboost I had to move the pin to the upper hole to get the angle on the rod right . In the lower hole the pushrod from the booster would bind where it enters the boost unit when in the full up position.

Quote Originally Posted by amargari
      Part number 8063 is short for 368063. That is the pedal for a 76-81 Camaro with manual transmission. Here are some more part numbers for Camaro Manual Transmission brake pedals:

70-74: 3965697
      75: 347401
      76-81: 368063
      Thanks for the part#'s on the Manual Trans/Manual brake pedals, does anyone know the part #'s for Manual Trans/Power brake pedals? Would anyone out there know what the differences are between the different part #'s on the pedals or better yet a visual reference between the different Power and Manual brake pedals?
      Are the bends on the pedals different? Brake push rod pin/hole placement different?

I moved the pin on my 70 manual brake pedal (3965697) to the lower hole, btw the lower hole had to be enlarged to .500 in. to allow the pin to be inserted. I have seen the sheetmetal bracket on power brake pedals to activate the brake light but on my manual brake pedal this bracket would not be needed as the pedal shaft itself activates the brake light switch. If any of you guys have any additional knowledge of the situation please fill in the blanks....

Thanks Alex

These are the part numbers for power and manual brakes. It is the same pedal according to 1967-81camarocarparts.com. Check out their online catalog. It is a great source of hard to find diagrams and part numbers. Because it is a division of Modern Chevrolet they use GM part numbers for GM parts. According to the catalog, the pedal is the same, but the push rod pin is different. Here is the link to the pdf that has the diagram and part numbers: http://1967-81camarocarparts.com/cat...5%20brakes.pdf It is on page 2.
      1973 Camaro Type LT/RS

I am in the process of converting my 1970 camaro from manual disc with auto trans to power disc. The manual brake pedal has the pin in the upper hole pressed into the brake pedal and on mine it is 1/2". The new 11" booster has a rod with a 7/16" hole. Apparently they figure less pedal effort equals smaller pin. So before I knew what I was doing I drilled out the lower hole so my 1/2" pin would fit. Then I went to hook up the booster rod and discovered the 7/16" rod would not fit over the 1/2" pin in the pedal. I put the pin in a lathe and turned it down only in the area where the booster rod will fit. If I were to do it over again I would look for the correct 7/16ths pin to press into the lower hole of the brake pedal. Now that I have the pedal connected to the booster I discovered the pedal is lower. That is normal for power brake cars. Now my brake light switch (that used to contact the pedal directly) is not even close so I will be buying the little tin adapter to get the brake light switch to shut off the brake lights. Hope this helps you. I have found no one with any of this specific info. Guy

Welcome to the forum Guy!

Apparently you used the search function and came upon this thread from 13+ years ago so I wouldn't expect much response.

Instead of going through all this and messing with an original 70 pedal, I would buy a later year pedal or an aftermarket one all ready to go.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com