Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

New Kenne Bell Guy-Need Help

well over the winter i think im going to be taking the paint of and straightening out the body. since im there im going to minitub it as well. i was thinking to really finish my car off and make my motor something really cool i would liek to do fuel injection. i was looking around at the holley and hogans stuff but i drifted over to the power adders section. i found a thread about kenne bell superchargers and got very interested. im so new to cars in general nevermind fuel injection and supercahrgers yet. can someone tell me first of all if my motor specs can handle a kenne bell running low to average boost(meaning is the cam and et.c. ok) but also how the system would have to be put together since im running the 870 carb right now on the world manifold. im very new and confused so excuse the stupid questions. tell me if im wrong but the kenne bell comes with fuel rails and other things needed to run some of the fuel injection? if thats true what else is needed. how much would the system cost around and how much would other needed parts be? these are the questions i have left AFTER I USED THE SEARCH TOOL and went to the website. any help would be greatly appreciated
      1969 Camaro SS aka Jumpin Jack Flash

World All Aluminum 427 and tko-600 attached to that

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2305230/1

heres engine info

SPECIFICATIONS:
      ENGINE BLOCK: Motown 9.025” deck height 4-bolt main
      CRANKSHAFT: Eagle 4340 forged steel 3.875” stroke (415 engine) 4.00” stroke (427 engine)
      CONNECTING RODS: Eagle 6.00”
      PISTONS: JE/SRP forged 4.125” bore
      COMPRESSION RATIO: 9.5 to 1 (415 engine) 10.0 to 1 (427 engine)
      PISTON RINGS: Speed-Pro
      BEARINGS: Clevite H series
      CAMSHAFT: Hydraulic Duration @ .050 is 244 intake & 252 exhaust. Lift .515 intake & .525 exhaust. Centerline is 112
      CYLINDER HEADS: Motown Aluminum or Cast Iron 220
      VALVES: 2.08” x 1.600” Manley valves: Severe Duty intake & exhaust
      ROCKER ARMS: 1.5:1 ratio roller rockers (Aluminum heads utilize a .150 offset intake rocker)
      INTAKE MANIFOLD: Motown 4150
      CARBURETOR: Hardcore 870 cfm. Hi flow 4150 style carburetor
      IGNITION: Hardcore HEI distributor, Taylor Motown 8mm ignition wire, Accel spark plugs (276 for iron heads and 416 for aluminum heads) gapped @ .035

Country Flag: United States
      you won't be able to run much boost with 10:1 compression. Cam is not ideal either with a 112 lsa; 114 works better, builds boost faster.

Jody

I had a Kenne Bell Blower on a 9:1 For 302. I really liked this set-up. Boost at a touch of the throttle. Torq monster!

Now to the down side. Since the screw compressors make instant boost down low, you are more prone to pinging. Tuning will be highly required. Higher octane will be a must at 10:1. Typ set-up is 5-6 psig with pump gas (91oct) on a 9:1 motor with full timing. Ceramic coat everything (piston domes, combustion chambers, valves etc) will get you allot more with less octane. I'm currently running 15psi of intercooled boost on a 9:1 motor. (everything ceramic coated)Intercooler will by you a couple of pounds of boost with the same timing and octane. I can't make this thing ping even at 40 deg total timing. Kenne Bell will tell you to just add more octane.

With whatever cam you get, DO NOT HAVE OVERLAP! This will be a sure boost killer. Typically run more exh. duration as you have, but find out if the cam has overlap or not at .050" between intake and exhaust. I run -1deg. That's about as close as you can get, I'd say.
      Ron DeRaad
      68 Camaro RSx
      Darton Sleeved LS9 - 434ci (4.155x4.00)
      AFR LSX245 Heads (12:1cr)
      660hp/588tq

very informative. thanks for the help. clarence at world is the best help that you can find to let you guys know. im really still getting into the technical stuff your talking about but i get the general idea. im not looking for this to be a perfectly put together thing. i dont need every inch i can scrap together of power. it seemed to be a raelly nice way to make the motor something more special. i still have the question of whether or not alot of the fuel injection stuff will come with this blower. how much else would i need to buy and how much do you think the total system would cost? after i figure those thigns out ill start getting into the more technical stuff.

Kenne Bell typically sells there stuff as kits for newer cars ranging from $3K-$6K. I'm sure they could set you up with whatever you need. Customizing may/will be in order. You will need to supply the fuel injection and its accessories. I'm familiar with Accel DFI Gen 7 and it runs about $2700 w/Wide band O2. This is less injectors, fuel pump, intake monifold, throttle body etc...

If I were to take a stab at the cost? $8-10K will get you the blower w/custom manifold, Fuel Injection and all accessories.
      Ron DeRaad
      68 Camaro RSx
      Darton Sleeved LS9 - 434ci (4.155x4.00)
      AFR LSX245 Heads (12:1cr)
      660hp/588tq

ayyeeee chi wa wa

1fine, i live really close to kenne bell and even drove some of their test cars...how does a suburban running mid 13 seconds in the 1/4mi sound? the experience of a kenne bell car is amazing! my friend works at kenne bell, ill ask him what he thinks the cost would be. for a setup like yours and mine im thinking its gunna be 7K and up. pesonally i wouldnt go that route with the kind of compression the engine has along with the cam. if you chooooose to go this route i can see if i can get a discount.

check out whipple superchargers too! they have some nice stuff!

You might even give some consideration to a blow through set-up,using a Vortech or Procharger. Then you can still use your carb.
      Also you can drop your compression ratio by using a MLS style gasket like a Cometic in a little thicker size.

yea i was looking at the blow through types but this idea started with the fuel injection. that was the main goal. i saw the kenne bell setup and thought it would take me an extra step futher. it definately will do that...it will put me one step further into the money pit

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com