Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Project tear-down

When you guys tear your cars down, how do you keep everything organized? I have little piles and boxes of stuff, but have come to the conclusion that this site is going to have a nice game of 'name that part/screw/bolt' in a few years.

I used lots of ziploc baggies, index cards, and a sharpiemarker

Country Flag: United States
      A very good memory!!

An baggies, index cards and sharpies as well. The reason for the cards is that the sharpie can rub off a bag over time (especially around oil, grease and any solvents you may be working with during teardown). So you write the decription on the card and place it in the bag/box/etc.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

I am collecting large amounts of those cheap plastic storage bins from Wally-World. Each box will contain parts that are "system" or "assembly" related. Small parts will be in bags with a labeled index card. Put bolts in the hole in which they belong whenever possible.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Beeper
      Same here. I also get large plastic bins and try and group the parts together...then label the bin...

All of the above, plus get a digital camera that's cheap & sturdy enough to take into the garage. Take pictures of EVERYTHING as you take it apart. Even things that look like they should be self-evident can leave you asking which side of the thingamajig the doohickey goes on after months or years of fading memory.

bag and tag memory dont hurt either i have had my 3 69s apart so many times i can put them back together in my sleep

I to bag,label and take pictures. My other suggestion is try to put all the bolts and hardware back in the taped hole or through one of the pieces removed.
      I also try not to take apart something that I am not ready to work on. The plan of attack tends to change over time so I try not to get to far ahead of my self or budget. Randy
      Please see my PT Garage for more info on ProBell Camaro. 67 style,99 comfort, options and drive-ability with NASCAR Late Model suspension front and rear.https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/vb...?do=view&g=106
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Car Domain PG
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2565383

The best advice I have is to take your time. Ask yourself why they built something as they did (i.e. number, size of bolts, how stuff fits together, etc.) Take the time to check for wear and damage. Then really ask yourself if you will reuse the part. For example, we are doing an RS grille conversion/core support on a friend's 69 Camaro. He wanted to reinstall the crusty, decrepid radiator overflow tank onto a shiny new core support. I mean this thing looks like it came out of a swamp. We had to convince him to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeper
      all that and a digital camera.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Mkay, this sucks. I had a plastic tool bin that I was seperating my bolts with. I had little notes in each compartment. Well I opened the box because I was going to seperate them in the ziplock bags with note cards and I dropped the damn box. Now I don't know what goes where.

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen
      all that and a digital camera.
      Thats great advice. Before pulling something apart take several pictures from various angles.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com