Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Are racing harnesses street legal?

I had to do a road safety course at work and it brought up a new question for me. They were discussing safety belts and all, and mentioned that if the stock seatbelt system were removed or tampered with, and you are subsequently killed or injured in a traffic accident, that insurance does not have to cover the costs.
      My stock seatbelts need replacing, but rather than replacing them with wimpy original retractable belts, I have some RJS 5-point harnesses that I want to install. They are NHRA-approved of course.
      You and I know that the 5-point setup is far safer in reality, but if the worst happens, would the cops and insurance investigators recognize them as legit?

1980 Pontiac Trans Am, Chevy Big Block 468, TKO 600 Trans, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, Eaton/Motive 3:73's, 18" Coddington Junkyard Dogs, Nitto NT555 rubber, Autometers http://www.fquick.com/Bandit
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2458763

Here, They aren't as they aren't certified DOT. But another thing is if you don't have a cage or bar... your neck and head act as one.... If you have a bar... I would just becuase they are actually safer than regular belts. But theres places that normal ones should be used. I'm sure someone else will chime in.
      The Gutless Cutlass, is no more.
      '73 Chevy C10, Low with lots of GO!!!!

If factory belts were safer then you would think racecars would run them.. lol

In my case it has to be safer than the lapbelt that came with the car.

I would think an insurance company would have a HARD time in court trying deny a claim because the person was using proplerly installed harnesses..

<-- not a lawyer

I will run mine because I don't want to massage the cage with my noggin in an accident.. lol
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

The only seatbelts that are street legal are the factory ones, period. At least in NJ. Silly, huh?

Tommy

Tommy Souren

"The older I get, the faster I was."

Grandma's 20k mile '80 Malibu Classic, in-progress factory style LS6 454, Legend LGT 700 5 speed, 9" 3.70 posi, Global West suspension, 12"/11" discs.

I think that would probably be true most places in the states, if you actually checked the law. I don't think anyone would try to enforce it though where I'm from. I am mostly concerned with the situation of IF I was in an accident and injured, would the insurance company try to give me a hard time because I "tampered' with the factory restraining systems...
      1980 Pontiac Trans Am, Chevy Big Block 468, TKO 600 Trans, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, Eaton/Motive 3:73's, 18" Coddington Junkyard Dogs, Nitto NT555 rubber, Autometers http://www.fquick.com/Bandit

Not in CA they aren't. But you are in Italy so who knows. The consular office should be able to inform you as to vehicle equipment laws or tell you who can give you the info.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Most racing harnesses are not DOT approved, that is what makes them illegal.

There is one company that makes DOT approved racing harnesses, but you also need to make sure they are mounted properly as per DOT specs. I just can’t think of their name right now.

Does this mean my Corbeau harnesses are legal?

66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

I would guess so.
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

Quote Originally Posted by LS6 Tommy
      The only seatbelts that are street legal are the factory ones, period. At least in NJ. Silly, huh?

Tommy
      Considering most of the harnesses I see installed are done wrong, they probably should be.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen
      Considering most of the harnesses I see installed are done wrong, they probably should be.
      Good point...I plan on setting mine up to actually keep me in the car in the event the worst happens...not just to look good. I have T-tops and no roll bar (although I want to install one eventually), so I feel doing it right is doubly important for me. Anyone have any good tips for proper installation? I plan to use heavy eye-bolts and big washers and secure everything really well.

I have floor-mount shoulder belts and I don't need the back seats, would it be effective to secure the shoulder belt mount to the trunk area back under the rear seat area where the rear seat cushions come together? Or should I go straight down behind the driver's seat into the rear floorboard area?

"Or should I go straight down behind the driver's seat into the rear floorboard area?" = spinal damage.

By all informed infi I've gotten, you need a cage/rollbar. Ther are a couple of long threads here about it.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen
      "Or should I go straight down behind the driver's seat into the rear floorboard area?" = spinal damage.

By all informed infi I've gotten, you need a cage/rollbar. Ther are a couple of long threads here about it.
      Wow, I didn't realize it was like that! Guess I will do some more research before I install my harnesses.
      (BTW Bonzo, I have had a request out for you to join my group on Fquick for like, forever, so please log in and accept!)

These: http://www.schrothracing.com/ are legal as well.

You can always call your state highway patrol orifice. They will get you in touch with a vehicle inspector that will let you know.

I read a post on here some where about this subject before. The one thing that got my attention was, the release button should be noticable like red or some other color than the buckle. Or have "press here" written on it. This is so the medical team that arrives at the scene knows how to unbuckle you quickly without having to cut the belts. But if you are in that kind of a situation, who cares about the belts. I think Stroth mentions something in their advertisement on street belts.
      69 RS Rat. Ocean View, De. 19970 If you wake up and you can put your feet on the floor, IT'S A GOOD DAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chicane67
      These: http://www.schrothracing.com/ are legal as well.
      Not in NJ. NO seatbelts that were not OEM installed are legal. Period.

Tommy

Tommy Souren

Grandma's 20k mile '80 Malibu Classic, in-progress factory style LS6 454, Legend LGT 700 5 speed, 9" 3.70 posi, Global West suspension, 12"/11" discs.

[quote=Z06killinSBF]Does this mean my Corbeau harnesses are legal?quote]

No. It just means the are tested to the DOt and FMVSS standards, not that they are deemed legal by them. Check with your locality.

Tommy

Tommy Souren

Tommy, I see your point, but last I knew your state government doesn't think anyone is smart enough to pump thier own gas.

--JMarsa

Harness legal

Well it has been fought in court and the insurance lost, but fo one reason as long as you have the stock ones in the car(ie a double install so both are present, you cant get a ticket/loss after an accident.
      First on the judges mind was weather the belts actually held and svaed the persons life, and second it was determined that the owner custom installed them as the originals were functionally inoperative due to age/abuse/defect/wear. So the owner left the original units in the car for inspections and mounted the harness similarly. AND the judge had to tell the insurance company to stand up under oath and say that the belts were unsafe and caused the wreck (which they didnt and the EMS said they actually saved the passengers lives).
      Another thing is that MOST EMS/PARAMEDICS are trained to identifiy aftermarket harness releases as they may have to respond to a race track and remove a person from a so equipt car.
      If I had my druthers I would love to run my harness and probably will anyway, but I intend to leave the stock belts installed.
      I know RJS has a setup to go to the stock floor mounts as I have a set for one side.
      As i intend to build my Monza to be a PT car I will wear them. But as for stock belts I have been hurt more by them than by not wearing ANY belts.
      I hit the back of a semi in 94 and because of the way I hit if I had a should belt on I would have been crippled.
      If I had a cage/rollbar in my truck them AND a harness I probably would have never been hurt.
      Also I know of a few people who have bought Ferrari and Lambo harnesses as they DO have DOT approval.
      BUT as for NJ I would simply have both accessable and then they couldnt technically fail an inspection as you would have the proper equipment installed, just have the harness positioned out of way and maybe put simple sign on dash to use harness off road only.
      Most bolts can be removed and after you find the actual stock thread size just search the junkyards for longer bolts from different cars. I would almost bet that will pass tech AND state inspections.
      I know for one car and Enzo has 5 way harness and its legal in USA.
      I would say the Strith units would be acceptable if DOT tested AND you keep the stockers handy.
      Good luck and a good question and food for thought as my next Monza has buckle problems.
      Lee Abel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com